I am beginning to be concerned

DeanS

Featured Posts

Even tho you have a home moorIng surely you can see that what you have been travelling is tantamount to bridge hopping

Gareth

There is no way that Dean's journey as described above can be described as bridge hopping. I think you need to look at a map.

and anyway...I thought the distance was 1km every 14 days....

I also read the "Act" which says CC-ers should move to a different "place" every 14 days...and in rural areas..."place" means ...village or hamlet...I normally love to see those church spires...and have used them to identify different villages....

The key to this is talking face to face with CRT, not trying to do it by written communication.

actually...I'm just going to go back to my marina as planned.

Even tho you have a home moorIng surely you can see that what you have been travelling is tantamount to bridge hopping.....I'm afraid the arguments you have given are exactly the same as a CM'er....the case is the same...if you need to stay in a relatively small area then you aren't really cruising as per the regs.....and whilst you might have got away with this a few years ago I'm afraid you don't anymore. Perhaps the argument should be that your chosen home mooring isn't fit for purpose.

I would however agree that the enforcement officers don't seem to want to touch some boats....when the chap up here on the Lancaster told the boats that are stuck due to the breaches that they need to move and he was asked about other boats that seem to have been nailed to the bank since we first came over he went a bit quiet....annoying!

Cheers

Gareth

I disagree about the "tantamount to bridge hopping" - Dean has ventured out into one of the canals with a 'Wild West' reputation out of curiousity to see what's up there. The Rochdale Canal is very quiet and any boat pottering about on it is not going to disturb anyone else on it. CRT should be thinking "Good on him" for actually using the canal and keeping it alive.

If CRT log boats they should sit back and gather all the facts and then have a think before pouncing, and, of course, to have a go at all the unlicenced boats first before harrassing those who have stumped up large sums for the fees to use the canals which CRT did not build in the first place!

As a new(ish) boater I still don't understand all the time limits and the range you are expected to move every 14 days - is the idea this, that you get a CRT mooring (which seem to be all taken anyway?)? So rent goes to CRT directly?

What about if your boat is in a marina, or in a private mooring spot (owned by a landowner, for instance) - does the marina and landowner pay a part of what you pay to them, to CRT?

Edited by Emerald Fox

I also read the "Act" which says CC-ers should move to a different "place" every 14 days...and in rural areas..."place" means ...village or hamlet...I normally love to see those church spires...and have used them to identify different villages....

actually...I'm just going to go back to my marina as planned.

Where did you get place being a hamlet or village from?

Agree I would ask them what the mean by the "same general area" in relation to your cruising pattern away from your marina.

Sorry but he has a home mooring and has moved every 14 days. What law has he broken. I am up for a good donation to funding this in court to test the legality

Good for you....surely it's down to the distance moved every 14 days?.....personally I'm more concerned that some boats are left alone whilst others are targeted.

Cheers

Gareth

If the CRT map shows 4 water points between my marina and the other side of the Pennines, and I find only 2 work....I'm obviously unable to cruise as wide a range as I might normally....

you've made my point better than i could.

you are saying that you have moved enough and yet you would have moved more if you could fill up.

both valid on their own but seem to weaken the point combined.

• Greenie 2

Good for you....surely it's down to the distance moved every 14 days?.....personally I'm more concerned that some boats are left alone whilst others are targeted.

Cheers

Gareth

I am more concerned with boaters being targeted when they are not breaking the law.

It is CRT bully boy tactics

Where did you get place being a hamlet or village from?

From this PDF on the CRT website. Near the bottom of page 1. It says....– on a rural waterway a village or hamlet may be a neighbourhood and on an urban waterway a suburb or district within a town or city may be a neighbourhood

I am more concerned with boaters being targeted when they are not breaking the law.It is CRT bully boy tactics

Just my point.....they are going after the ones that don't give them stress.....like most bully's if you fight back you are left alone even if you are in the wrong.....what's needed is for even enforcement which sadly seems to be lacking.

Cheers

Gareth

From this PDF on the CRT website. Near the bottom of page 1. It says....– on a rural waterway a village or hamlet may be a neighbourhood and on an urban waterway a suburb or district within a town or city may be a neighbourhood

From 2011. You'd be better off either checking the original act, or the latest guidance on the website

Richard

you've made my point better than i could.

you are saying that you have moved enough and yet you would have moved more if you could fill up.

both valid on their own but seem to weaken the point combined.

No you missed my point. I would not have travelled further than I am now, but I would have stopped at more places between my marina and the end point.. Unfortunately I had to move past certain areas, as the only water points were at the very end of my realistic cruising range. (the distance between my marina and the top of the hill). In other words I would have travelled to the top of the hill much slower if the services were working. They werent so I had to go all the way to the top of the hill and then move around from one side of the hill to the other...or return all the way back to my marina...for water. A single working water point half way up the hill would have made a difference...but wouldn't have extended my distance away from my home mooring/work.

Sounds like the logging is erratic again.

I bet you have only been logged in Littleborough outbound and return, could be up to 5 weeks they think you have been sat there.

Ask them for your sighting log. See when you were logged, and compare it to your own records.

Ok so this is how I understand it.

Dean buys a boat pays for a home mooring but like a lot of people he has to work for a living. In the summer he likes to get out of his marina but still has to go to work. He finds a nice stretch of canal obeys the law and moves every 14 days. He does not overstay on Visitor Moorings yes he is being hounded by CRT. What exactly is he doing wrong? What law is he breaking? What is he depriving other boater of?

• Greenie 1

From 2011. You'd be better off either checking the original act, or the latest guidance on the website

Richard

I have...which is why I despair. They are impractical and have little basis in reality. I have tried my best to adhere to them.

Sounds like the logging is erratic again.

I bet you have only been logged in Littleborough outbound and return, could be up to 5 weeks they think you have been sat there.

Ask them for your sighting log. See when you were logged, and compare it to your own records.

Could well be that.

I guess sending an semi-automatic letter then places it with the boater to do the leg work, cheaper for them and hence us, if not so nice a feeling all round.

Daniel

The key to this is talking face to face with CRT, not trying to do it by written communication.

I agree with this but it depends who you end up talking to.

I still think more of us should make it clear to CRT that they feel harassed with this nonsense based on suspect data. They need to understand that they have a duty to get their facts (and law) correct before serving notices.

To digress a bit, is the water point at Slattocks not working or have the new owners of the house cut it off?

No longer available. Don't know the reason why.

The one at Rose of Lancaster was also unavailable . I ended up buying 25litre containers and delivering them to my boat at Smithy Bridge for a while

We’ve been looking at our sighting records and they suggest that your boat ***** has been moored in the same general area for more than 14 days.

If this is not the case, or you have any questions please give your local enforcement officer a ring so you can have a chat to them about your circumstances.

So what did the enforcement officer say?

Sorry but he has a home mooring and has moved every 14 days. What law has he broken. I am up for a good donation to funding this in court to test the legality

Not often you day something I agree with, but I'm up for similar. I don't think Dean is contravening the law, but unfortunately Dean's response to CRT doesn't appear to mention this basic point.

Any more of this Dean and I think your response should be along the lines of "I have a home mooring and applied for my licence on the basis of with 17, 3, C (i), under which there is no obligation for me to move between general areas when out cruising."

Far better than trying to argue the toss about what counts as a 'general area' and why you have to stay within it.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

if they are going to treat people who have a home mooring, with the same enforcement as someone who doesn't, there really is less of a reason to be forking out all that money for a mooring is there? The whole reason I have a residential mooring, is to be a good boy. Now it seems their system has marked me as a bad boy anyway. If it's their logging system (I've asked for the logs), I'll be a little mad. If it is there definition of "general area", I'll be even more mad...because if they are going to make me cruise further due to the latter, then the marina isn't needed any longer anyway.

eta - their not there

Edited by DeanS

if they are going to treat people who have a home mooring, with the same enforcement as someone who doesn't, there really is less of a reason to be forking out all that money for a mooring is there? The whole reason I have a residential mooring, is to be a good boy. Now it seems there system has marked me as a bad boy anyway. If it's there logging system (I've asked for the logs), I'll be a little mad. If it is there definition of "general area", I'll be even more mad...because if they are going to make me cruise further due to the latter, then the marina isn't needed any longer anyway.

I take ity you've checked they have you recorded as having a home mooring? The might have you down as a CCer.

So what did the enforcement officer say?

I don't like speaking to people on the phone...it's one of my personal glitches. I emailed them back. I find email a medium I can communicate a little more clearly on. I tend to get a bit confused on a phone...especially with understanding local accents etc. I also find a telephone difficult to think on my feet, whereas an email is easier to read before pressing send....I have a real hate of phones....it's a weakness, but none of us are perfect....and in this case, I'd feel like I'm walking into the headmasters office for having done something wrong....

I take ity you've checked they have you recorded as having a home mooring? The might have you down as a CCer.

They have logged my boat all winter on my home mooring. I know because they come walking along the pontoon dressed in black...