Narrowboat fire Whittlesey

Troyboy

Featured Posts

I don't know how to do the linky thing but the website www.cambstimes.co.uk/news/latest-news has details of a narrowboat fire at Kings Delph, Whittlesey yesterday [ 30/7/15] .

Fortunately no one aboard but looks a sad sight.

Should work like this :http://www.cambstimes.co.uk/news/investigation_launched_after_canal_boat_severely_damaged_in_whittlesey_by_fire_1_4174777

Peter.

Couldn't find it, but enjoyed reading a couple of the other articles (we live in the area). "Crackdown on speeding tractors in Wisbech" is a classic local-paper headline.

I'm surprised, the link works direct here.

Peter.

I'm surprised, the link works direct here.

Peter.

Your link works. The previous link had a lead story about the proposed closure of a local supermarket; evidently it was an earlier edition of the paper, and when the fire was discovered the editor changed the front page.

The boat looks pretty comprehensively cooked, thank God no one was aboard at the time.

Edited by Athy

Your link works. The previous link had a lead story about the proposed closure of a local supermarket; evidently it was an earlier edition of the paper, and when the fire was discovered the editor changed the front page.

Rg eboat looks pretty comprehensively cooked, thank God no one was aboard at the time.

I feel sorry for the poor owner, hope he (she) is well insured, but most importantly nobody was hurt, and a boat is replaceable.

Peter.

That boat looks to have a very shapely bow. Anybody know the identity of it?

It is called the 'Cicely Mary', Apperley Bridge, It was in a poor state of repair before the fire. The owner had been overstaying for some time on the West End Park moorings, before been forced to move on by the council. As you can see he prefer to burn house coal.

Overstaying%20Narrowboat%20burning%20hou

Edited by nbfiresprite

Couldn't find it, but enjoyed reading a couple of the other articles (we live in the area). "Crackdown on speeding tractors in Wisbech" is a classic local-paper headline.

When I lived in the Wisbech area everyone moaned about being stuck behind slow moving tractors . How times have changed .

Apparently Case in the USA tuned and geared up one of thei tractors in the 1930's. Then then ran it through a mid west town to get booked doing 70mph!

Best publicity the company ever had

It is called the 'Cicely Mary', Apperley Bridge, It was in a poor state of repair before the fire. The owner had been overstaying for some time on the West End Park moorings, before been forced to move on by the council. As you can see he prefer to burn house coal.

The boat opposite looks well-wrapped. Is it an artwork?

• 4 months later...

So sad to see a boat end up like this.I remember thirty five years ago,I was a tea boy on a building

site as Milton Keynes was being constructed,myself and two brickies both long dead bought something

similar,it to had been subject to a fire.We had an old french stove and it smoked just like that,great days.

52 now,where did the years go?

So sad to see a boat end up like this.I remember thirty five years ago,I was a tea boy on a building

site as Milton Keynes was being constructed,myself and two brickies both long dead bought something

similar,it to had been subject to a fire.We had an old french stove and it smoked just like that,great days.

52 now,where did the years go?

You a tea boy ?

Thatcher got me layed a few times, living as a 'new age traveler' at the time she declaired war on us, also brought us to the notice of some rich girls who wanted to anoy daddy.

Glad someone got some fun out of those days, as they say, its an ill wind... Does that make you an old age traveller now?

Thatcher got me layed a few times, living as a 'new age traveler' at the time she declaired war on us, also brought us to the notice of some rich girls who wanted to anoy daddy.

Drop in if your passing Donald for a whiskey,we may have something in common ha ha or someone

not too sexist I hope mrs moderator

Edited by CDS

I think the shell of this boat is for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burnt-Out-58-foot-Narrow-Boat-Steel-hull-and-top-/321939433126?hash=item4af515e6a6:g:cBkAAOSwv-NWWFEX

$_57.JPG

And before the fire:

That is the boat in question, Being sold by the MLC to recover costs. The owner run out of money trying to sue the Middle Level for stealing his boat.

How did that develop? It's not as if he could fall behind on paying for the boat licence.....

Curiously - with caveats as to the accuracy of the information given to me in this case - the MLC were apparently claiming the need for a boat licence, with similar powers to the BW s.8 to recover costs of removing unlicensed boats.

It sound confused to me, but am just passing on the burden of a solicitor’s queries as to the legitimacy of boat licence demands in this context.

The MLC DO have powers to create byelaws for such a requirement, and draft ones are in place, but these have yet to be processed and approved. Currently only the 19thC byelaws are in force.

Under current powers the MLC is able to raise sunken boats [this one apparently sunk following the fire]; the owner supposedly disputed the further right to remove the boat altogether, at his cost.

Nigel, have you read the MLC Navigation Notes?

Particular attention should be paid to 3, 4, and the public mooring section.

Where the boat was torched and sunk (adjacent to the road layby up by the McCain factory) has NO moorings available at all - in fact, the first public mooring available is at Whittlesey, there are a couple of private EOG moorings, but other than that the boat should never have been moored long term where it caught fire.

ETA,

that length IS owned by the MLC also.....

Edited by gazza

Nigel, have you read the MLC Navigation Notes?

Particular attention should be paid to 3, 4, and the public mooring section.

Where the boat was torched and sunk (adjacent to the road layby up by the McCain factory) has NO moorings available at all - in fact, the first public mooring available is at Whittlesey, there are a couple of private EOG moorings, but other than that the boat should never have been moored long term where it caught fire.

ETA,

that length IS owned by the MLC also.....

I did think the boat looked familiar. Can't say I'd want to have a boat there, the big security grilles over the windows of the transport cafe mobile home thing make it seem quite dodgy.