Boat Prices am i missing something ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

We are going for a new Narrowboat, i dont understand why some of the prices seem rediculous, what i mean is why am i seeing Narrowboats built in around 2006 advertized for £57000 when you can go out and buy a boat of the same size brand new for £63500,

i dont see the point in buying a boat nearly 8-9 years older with wear and tear and run the risk of dodgy maintanance for the sake of a few k more.

i wonder if boat owners/Brokers are trying it on and having a bubble bath. glare.gif

it just does not add up to me.

Edited by brassedoff

That's rather like wondering why anyone would buy a second-hand Rolls Royce when for the same money you could buy a brand new Ford Focus.

Not at all, i have seen some right crap on some Brokerage sites, some of them are a joke inside and out.

You can buy a Rolls for a few grand but it will be a shitter, you can spend the same money on a Focus and you have more chance of getting where your going without breaking down.

Some Boats look like tramps bedrooms and coming from someone who use to be homeless that is saying something.

I will find an example give me until tomorow.

Edited by brassedoff

We are going for a new Narrowboat, i dont understand why some of the prices seem rediculous, what i mean is why am i seeing Narrowboats built in around 2006 advertized for £57000 when you can go out and buy a boat of the same size brand new for £63500,

i dont see the point in buying a boat nearly 8-9 years older with wear and tear and run the risk of dodgy maintanance for the sake of a few k more.

i wonder if boat owners/Brokers are trying it on and having a bubble bath. :glare:

it just does not add up to me.

Simply because the spec. of some pre owned boats is significantly better than the spec. of some new builds.

Look at the quality of the fit out, the spec. of the equipment such as engine, inverter, kitchen spec. etc etc.

It's like buying a car, a new Dacia Duster can be had for the price of a used Range Rover.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Simply because the spec. of some pre owned boats is significantly better than the spec. of some new builds.

Look at the quality of the fit out, the spec. of the equipment such as engine, inverter, kitchen spec. etc etc.

It's like buying a car, a new Dacia Duster can be had for the price of a used Range Rover.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

I get that totally MJG, and see your point.

I am new to boating and dont know much at the moment and we all have to learn.

as Manuel said i know nothing .

Edited by brassedoff

as bazil faulty said i know nothing .

I surely you mean Manuel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hiThRIHwQDE

Edited by David Schweizer

There are many good narrowboats around at reasonable prices. And you won't buy without a survey will you?

We sold our Broads cruiser 18 months ago and bought another narrowboat. She is an old girl (1980) but she sailed through her survey, although there were some problems like a leaky side hatch and the need for hull blacking. We got the price down from £24k to £18k.

I would suggest you are not comparing similar boats and probably not equipped with the same level of equipment. You could easily spend £100k plus on a new boat by choosing one of the top builders and having a high quality well specced fitout, or spend under £30k by choosing second hand at the other end of the market or a much older boat.

as bazil faulty said i know nothing .

It's a bit of a minefield but if you take your time and look at a good few boats you get the feel of what you can buy within budget. If you are prepared to go used there are some really well specd. used boats out there.

I would just say one thing. The buyers of our boat got a really well specd. boat with a great quality fit out at a really good price, primarily because it will soon need a repaint, and was priced accordingly. They may not choose to get it painted but if they do they will have a really great boat and I believe they had the foresight to see this and were not put off. Don't be put off by 'cosmetic' stuff.

Ps it wasn't Basil, it was Manuel who said 'I know nothing' ;)

Why would someone buy this 2001 boat for £58000 when you can get a new 50ft boat built for £63350 from Aintree

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3368.aspx

There are many good narrowboats around at reasonable prices. And you won't buy without a survey will you?

We sold our Broads cruiser 18 months ago and bought another narrowboat. She is an old girl (1980) but she sailed through her survey, although there were some problems like a leaky side hatch and the need for hull blacking. We got the price down from £24k to £18k.

No i would never buy without an out of water survey, i hope you are enjoying your boat i was not being all snobby about new boats i dont have two beans to rub together its my dad thats buying me a boat to live on. i am trying a new life away from mental health issues thats why my dad is doing it.

its just the prices of boats are confusing me thats all

Edited by brassedoff

The best only thing you cannot change on a boat is the hull!! Pre 95 steel from the UK or western Europe much better then the imported crap from eastern Europe or even worse China!!

If you are going the new route get proof from the builder that the steel is marine grade and find out where its from.

The quality of steel these days is generally crap too many Skoda's and washing machines in the stuff!!

The best only thing you cannot change on a boat is the hull!! Pre 95 steel from the UK or western Europe much better then the imported crap from eastern Europe or even worse China!!

If you are going the new route get proof from the builder that the steel is marine grade and find out where its from.

The quality of steel these days is generally crap too many Skoda's and washing machines in the stuff!!

Thanks i did ask a few members today about Aintree Boats and i got a few reasuring replys that they were a good builder.

guess i need to logg off and rest my head its all stressed.

Please no, i dont want a skoda boat ffs noooo. lol

Edited by brassedoff

Why would someone buy this 2001 boat for £58000 when you can get a new 50ft boat built for £63350 from Aintree

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3368.aspx

Well I do think that boat is over priced but the first thing that strikes me is that it's a Colecraft shell, excellent shell builders of a good reputation and a deserved long history as a company.

Without knowing the spec. of the comparator Aintree boat I couldn't really say much else.

Ed I should have added that just because a boat is marketed at a given price it doesn't follow that the price has been realistically set.

Edited by MJG

Hey everyone, i just want to say thanks for all your replys i cant reply to everyone but i did read them all.

I guess it all comes down to quality of the hull and interior fit and i can understand that now.

its a mine field, we dont want to get burnt like i keep reading, this is why we think its better to get a new one.

Thanks for putting me right about Manuel LOL.

i know Naffing .laugh.png

Edited by brassedoff

Never heard of Aintree boats but it sounds like a gamble to me :rolleyes:

I.personally prefer older good quality gear (the old Roller rather than the new Ford) but that's a personal thing really.

Ed I should have added that just because a boat is marketed at a given price it doesn't follow that the price has been realistically set.

Oh for a boat equivalent of the land registry sold prices listings :)

Some brokers are happy to accept a boat at a price which is overpriced, while other brokers will say "no, make the price reasonable". Look at it this way: a broker typically charges 4% of the price. If they sell a 50k boat and it takes 6 months, they'll make £4000/year on that "space". If they sell a 40k boat and it takes 1 month on average, then over the same timeframe they'll make 12x 4% x 40,000 = £19,200 (minus costs of course - but the maths still works out).

I don't know why Venetian accept boats overpriced but they do have lots of space for boat sales and a shortage of stock at the moment.

i know Naffing .laugh.png

You need to go and see a lot of boats. It won't take long to see where the money goes on more expensive boats

For a start - materials, then equipment, then style and quality

Richard

• Greenie 1

Never heard of Aintree boats but it sounds like a gamble to me rolleyes.gif

I.personally prefer older good quality gear (the old Roller rather than the new Ford) but that's a personal thing really.

Oh for a boat equivalent of the land registry sold prices listings smile.png

I get that, i use to knock about in an old army landrover and i thought it was much better than any new focus.

lifes a gamble sadly full of pitfalls, we just have to see them before they grab us by the ankles.frusty.gif

Some brokers are happy to accept a boat at a price which is overpriced, while other brokers will say "no, make the price reasonable". Look at it this way: a broker typically charges 4% of the price. If they sell a 50k boat and it takes 6 months, they'll make £4000/year on that "space". If they sell a 40k boat and it takes 1 month on average, then over the same timeframe they'll make 12x 4% x 40,000 = £19,200 (minus costs of course - but the maths still works out).

I don't know why Venetian accept boats overpriced but they do have lots of space for boat sales and a shortage of stock at the moment.

Its seems they have peoples balls in their hands these brokers, thanks for this Paul.

You need to go and see a lot of boats. It won't take long to see where the money goes on more expensive boats

For a start - materials, then equipment, then style and quality

Richard

Thanks Richard.

Edited by brassedoff

I get that, i use to knock about in an old army landrover and i thought it was much better than any new focus.

Its seems they have peoples balls in their hands these brokers, thanks for this Paul.

Not all brokers are the same though...and plenty of boats are bought and sold privately.

Quote of the week!

It is true that not all owners prepare their boats assiduously for sale.

I was not joking some boats do look like tramps bedrooms LOL

i saw one with a creased mattress and it had gravy stains in the middle. dirty buggers !laugh.png

Not all brokers are the same though...and plenty of boats are bought and sold privately.

Their really are some lovely boats out their Paul at good prices, it would be nice to buy a decent second hand one but its just scary when were talking thousands.

what i have noticed though the lovely boats just pop out at ya on the internet some are absolutely stunning and a credit to the owners.

I suppose if one were a broker of a certain type it may be beneficial to advertise a boat for more than it is worth so that people walk away time and again and the seller gets pissed off with not selling the thing then all of a sudden a low offer comes in seller accepts it and oh look someone got a bargain.

I wonder who that was :lol:

I suppose if one were a broker of a certain type it may be beneficial to advertise a boat for more than it is worth so that people walk away time and again and the seller gets pissed off with not selling the thing then all of a sudden a low offer comes in seller accepts it and oh look someone got a bargain.

I wonder who that was laugh.png

That's interesting. I know of a boat which was overpriced, the seller had received an offer but declined it. I can't remember the numbers I think it was up for £45000 and refused a £42k offer. Then after months and months reduced the price to £40k, re-contacted the £42k offer prospective buyer but he'd bought another boat in the meantime and it took ages to sell for like £37k or something in the end.