Boat Prices am i missing something ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

mellow.png

Hiya, before I went down the route of getting someone to build me a boat I viewed lots second and as considered having cheaper and rip out but at the end of the day..well in terms of time twas not the end I walked on board "the one"..a sailaway that had been fitted to that level by a guy who used to fit them out completely but having been stung couple times only did to sailaway standard. Lost that one as did not have the ready capital but Stuart agreed to help me find a shell and fit out to sailaway. Anyway to cut a long warbly story short due to crises in my life he subsequently went on and completed my boat to my specifications and then taught me how to manage her. Boat prices vary so much good hull = more expensive. My boat builder been building for years but couldn't find him on Google as his partnership dissolved year before he did my boat. In fact I parted with my cash before boat shell complete as he was struggling. I know I was so lucky.
Guess wot Im trying to say but not very well is that there are some lovely people about who will advise and help you...this is a great community and for me ATM its my window to the world.
Good luck, keep posting. From time to time I post summit that I then think s... shouldn't have and Ive had a flounce off when some ones upset me but i came back.

Thanks Patty-ann,

Good to hear you got your boat done just in the nick of time, i hope your enjoying it.

i am normally pretty calm but i stupidly stopped my meds yesterday, i will read before i submit frusty.gif lesson learnt.

Forums are my window as well their good company too especially when its an interesting subject like narrowboats smile.png

i was reading the forum before i joined and i could see most people were nice to each other and helpfull.

thanks everyone.

Edited by brassedoff

i am normally pretty calm but i stupidly stopped my meds yesterday, i will read before i submit frusty.gif lesson learnt.

Superb, so when I posted replies to you yesterday three of which advised you not to suddenly stop your meds ..... ? tut tut frusty.gif

Yeah but we all do daft things..I went cold turkey from my anti depressants/ anti anxiety/panic attack meds when some helpful being showed me a site written by geezer very against them. I am very good at following bad advice sometimes.

Not pleasant, eldest son( medical neurologist) had awful lot to say on the subject since they don't just help you state of mind but affect liver/kidney and cardiac.

So just stopping meds a no no.

Yeah but we all do daft things..I went cold turkey from my anti depressants/ anti anxiety/panic attack meds when some helpful being showed me a site written by geezer very against them. I am very good at following bad advice sometimes.

Not pleasant, eldest son( medical neurologist) had awful lot to say on the subject since they don't just help you state of mind but affect liver/kidney and cardiac.

So just stopping meds a no no.

heya

Sometimes we just want to give something else a bash instead of the meds and its so easy to get taken in by the anti med brigade, they have a point but its not as easy in real life when we need them, i take a lot of Quitiapine and its sole destroyingly numbing. your sons right they do have an effect on all the body when we stop and start on them. needs must hey patty-ann.

be safe, nice speaking to you. x

Edited by brassedoff

It's a shame you seem to have fallen foul of the 'jokers'.

That unfortunately is not an accurate portrayal of the (now deleted) discussion. Much of it was actually quite amicable.

Hey brassedoff - glad you decided to stick around. Many of us have had to eat humble pie at one time or another :)

I know where you're coming from about the state of some boats up for sale - I was shocked when we looked. My advice would be that it is sometimes worth seeing beyond the mess. Our boat was a tip inside and subsequently had sat on brokerage unsold for many months. We made a silly offer and got a third off the price. We ended up (quite accidentally) with a hull built by a well respected boat builder at a very low price.

Best of luck

Don't forget to offer a silly price, even if you think it's 'the one' and you don't want to risk losing her. If you look around more, you will ALWAYS come across another 'the one'.

I agree about lack of care. Usually means lack of maintenance. I'd also watch out for:

Boats that have spent years in marinas - they might have electrolytical corrosion pits below the waterline.

Dirty engines - you can't really see if anything's leaking.

Dents around the bows - hasn't been driven carefully.

Make sure it has a Boat Safety Certificate - the gas system being the most important thing there.

If it has a coal or wood stove, check for stains down the chimneys. The exterior seating of the chimney may be corroded and letting in the rain.

If it has a newly-blacked chimney and stove, check for the same problem.

Look under any parts that will lift up and look for flaking rust.

Diesel heating CAN require lots of maintenance and difficult cleaning of carbon deposits.

If the engine has a lift pump, ask for the cap to be taken off - if there's crud in the diesel tank, it usually collects there.

If the engine is warm before you get it started, come back later and insist that it's cold.

Study previous threads on pumpout toilets vs cassette - if I start a new discussion about that, I'll be chucked off the forum!

If you plan to live on it, check water tank capacity

Be sure to take her for a test drive - some cheaper boats handle awfully and will become a pain, especially in reverse.

Be sure to get a survey if it isn't a Hudson! (Runs for cover)

Best of luck!

• Greenie 2

Hey brassedoff - glad you decided to stick around. Many of us have had to eat humble pie at one time or another smile.png

I know where you're coming from about the state of some boats up for sale - I was shocked when we looked. My advice would be that it is sometimes worth seeing beyond the mess. Our boat was a tip inside and subsequently had sat on brokerage unsold for many months. We made a silly offer and got a third off the price. We ended up (quite accidentally) with a hull built by a well respected boat builder at a very low price.

Best of luck

blummin eck Ange, has it sunk, it's a bit early for you.icecream.gificecream.gif

Hey brassedoff - glad you decided to stick around. Many of us have had to eat humble pie at one time or another smile.png

Best of luck

Thanks Ange, yer i hope its a long time before i have to eat a bit more of humble pie it puts too much weight on.mellow.png x

The Problem is Ange its not me buying the boat its my dad and hes 65 he just wants a boat that doesnt need any work doing to it.

I cant see that happening on a used boat though.

Wow you got a third off a brokerage boat thats really good, if you could you recomend any good hull builders that would be appreciated,

I would like a Traditional Engine Room they look great, but its all in the hands of Dad at the moment, i am just hoping it does not get bitten,

Still waiting for the Panflet from Aintree Boats, i told my Dad a couple of the forum members said they were good.

Edited by brassedoff

I paid £4,000 for an old Rolls Royce and then £300 quid for a scrapper,to keep me in spares. Great fun and did not leave me stranded by the roadside. Wish I had not sold it now .I also have an old Land Rover(awaiting a new gearbox) Does this make me an idiot? Probably in some peoples eyes,but I dont care .Dont forget that a new boat will have 20% V.A.T. added. There is no V.A.T. on a secondhand boat unless you are a registered trader. Thus your £100,000 boat will cost £120,000. I am aware that some people think that somehow the V.A.T. element is structured into the price of secondhand boats,but I do not believe this is born out by the selling price of secondhand boats.Obviously,if your builder is a (very)small trader,you will not pay V.A.T. on the completed boat,but the price of V.A.T.inclusive materials will have been added to the bill.The only exception I am aware of is the very limited exemption for house boats.

Don't forget to offer a silly price, even if you think it's 'the one' and you don't want to risk losing her. If you look around more, you will ALWAYS come across another 'the one'.

I agree about lack of care. Usually means lack of maintenance. I'd also watch out for:

Boats that have spent years in marinas - they might have electrolytical corrosion pits below the waterline.

Dirty engines - you can't really see if anything's leaking.

Dents around the bows - hasn't been driven carefully.

Make sure it has a Boat Safety Certificate - the gas system being the most important thing there.

If it has a coal or wood stove, check for stains down the chimneys. The exterior seating of the chimney may be corroded and letting in the rain.

If it has a newly-blacked chimney and stove, check for the same problem.

Look under any parts that will lift up and look for flaking rust.

Diesel heating CAN require lots of maintenance and difficult cleaning of carbon deposits.

If the engine has a lift pump, ask for the cap to be taken off - if there's crud in the diesel tank, it usually collects there.

If the engine is warm before you get it started, come back later and insist that it's cold.

Study previous threads on pumpout toilets vs cassette - if I start a new discussion about that, I'll be chucked off the forum!

If you plan to live on it, check water tank capacity

Be sure to take her for a test drive - some cheaper boats handle awfully and will become a pain, especially in reverse.

Be sure to get a survey if it isn't a Hudson! (Runs for cover)

Best of luck!

Loafer thats really usefull thanks so much for typing all that out its much appreciated and i will print it off.

My Dad said he wouldnt buy one without a full independant survery.

thank you

• Greenie 1

Loafer thats really usefull thanks so much for typing all that out its much appreciated and i will print it off.

My Dad said he wouldnt buy one without a full independant survery.

thank you

Try pressing that little green button just above the 'quote' button, on my original list, and see what it does!

Edited by Loafer
  • Greenie 1

I paid £4,000 for an old Rolls Royce and then £300 quid for a scrapper,to keep me in spares. Great fun and did not leave me stranded by the roadside. Wish I had not sold it now .I also have an old Land Rover(awaiting a new gearbox) Does this make me an idiot? Probably in some peoples eyes,but I dont care .Dont forget that a new boat will have 20% V.A.T. added. There is no V.A.T. on a secondhand boat unless you are a registered trader. Thus your £100,000 boat will cost £120,000. I am aware that some people think that somehow the V.A.T. element is structured into the price of secondhand boats,but I do not believe this is born out by the selling price of secondhand boats.Obviously,if your builder is a (very)small trader,you will not pay V.A.T. on the completed boat,but the price of V.A.T.inclusive materials will have been added to the bill.The only exception I am aware of is the very limited exemption for house boats.

If you like Landy's your definitely not an irriat smile.png , its all i use to drive. i put a v8 in a LightWeight that was good fun to drive, plus had a Comp Safari 5 litre auto, shit i am getting away from boats here LOL,

Love landys so much though

back to boats frusty.gif wow so that would mean nearly 13k on a £63500 boat from Aintree 50k boat.

this is making my head hurt.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by brassedoff

Try pressing that little green button just above the 'quote' button, on my original list, and see what it does!

Loafer i pressed it and nuffink happened its got a 1 inside the green box ?

Is that the box for Liking a post LOL, sorry i am new to this forum layout.

Edited by brassedoff

Loafer i pressed it and nuffink happened its got a 1 inside the green box ?

Lol, you'd been tricked into giving him what's known as a 'greenie'!

Try it again, on my post here. Eventually they stop working ;)

• Greenie 1

Lol, you'd been tricked into giving him what's known as a 'greenie'!

Try it again, on my post here. Eventually they stop working wink.png

Oww thats what a greenie is Mike. wacko.png thanks for letting me know.

it says you have used your quota for the day lol

Edited by brassedoff

Thanks Brassedoff! But you DID appear to like my post, so I don't think I was being a 'greenie thief' The Boilerman once tried to fool me into giving him a couple, which I'm sure he remembers!

Ho ho. At least you've learned a bit more about the forum!

Thanks Brassedoff! But you DID appear to like my post, so I don't think I was being a 'greenie thief' The Boilerman once tried to fool me into giving him a couple, which I'm sure he remembers!

Ho ho. At least you've learned a bit more about the forum!

haha , is the greanie trick a ritual thing, lol

Maybe i will pull that trick when i get my wings in a few yearslaugh.png

Yer thanks again Loafer for the list.smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

You're most welcome. Now everyone else will give you THEIR lists, probably in the hope of getting one of your greenies. No bad thing - you'll pick up loads more stuff, and so will everyone else.

I just had a vision of me turning up at a Marina with a 3 inch thick wod LIST, of that green syntax paper what they used in the old days with holes down the sides of the paper.

Now then propreieter let me start my list LOLsick.gif

No i really appreciate all the help thanks, i kinda try to see the funny side of stuff.icecream.gif