Windows 10

dor

Featured Posts

I expect most of us have been offered the free upgrade to Windows 10. Looking at it, I thought I would go with it after a couple of months or so, but then discovered that Home versions, including Home Premium, will have all updates downloaded and installed automatically with no option to select how updates are downloaded as at present.

Like many boaters, I have limited capacity when using a mobile data connection, and I don't want to start up one morning and find a 200Mb update downloading.

Microsoft, like web designers, seem to assume that everyone has an unlimited 4G data connection. As we have a pretty flaky 3G connection at best this is not going to be very helpful.

I'm happy to download Windows updates, I just want to control when it is done.

Just something to be aware of if you take the upgrade.

I have heard rumours that you will be able to choose to download the update within a certain number of days, but Microsoft seem reluctant to confirm this.

Chances are there is a registry entry that controls whether routine updates are done automatically or manually, it will just be that there is no "user interface" control for it. Someone will probably work it out and make the registry key known.

I expect most of us have been offered the free upgrade to Windows 10. Looking at it, I thought I would go with it after a couple of months or so, but then discovered that Home versions, including Home Premium, will have all updates downloaded and installed automatically with no option to select how updates are downloaded as at present.

Like many boaters, I have limited capacity when using a mobile data connection, and I don't want to start up one morning and find a 200Mb update downloading.

Microsoft, like web designers, seem to assume that everyone has an unlimited 4G data connection. As we have a pretty flaky 3G connection at best this is not going to be very helpful.

I have heard rumours that you will be able to choose to download the update within a certain number of days, but Microsoft seem reluctant to confirm this.

Have a look at this YouTube vid.

I have no idea if it works or not but it might be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzZUxV7JPI

It was said (by MS) to be limited to the Home version - but my Professional Insider version has the update-on-the-fly option disabled.

Regardless of the above I find the preview is incessantly sending / receiving packets fro t'intenet - so not a good product as yet or even mebe at all for folkd with a limited mobile allowance.

Such a pity as I found the desktop and features very pleasant and slick. However, from the usability point of view some products will not work with it, and under the covers it doesn't seem to offer much more than W8 or 8.1. You also are virtually forced to open an account with MS - and that will increase useless internet traffic for you.

I'd suggest wait until it gets a lot more stable - you have a year from 29/7/2015 to get your free copy...

This is a little off topic, but while you are talking about windows updates..

A serious vulnerability was discovered with windows yesterday that allows an attacker to execute code on your computer using custom fonts. This is a critical issue that affects all windows users. If you are on a limited connection and don't want to download all of the updates your computer needs, the one you need to do now is KB 3079904

You can find the specific update here: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-078

Essential boating equipment in my opinion. Until I got Windows 10 my boat kept crashing.....

...c'mon - off to the pub with you. I don't want to read about this 2nd rate operating system.

What's the world coming to? A sensible,polite and humorous post from Mr Clinton!

but to be fair, the inability to stop automatic updates is very relevant to boating!

..............Dave

Essential boating equipment in my opinion. Until I got Windows 10 my boat kept crashing.....

...c'mon - off to the pub with you. I don't want to read about this 2nd rate operating system.

What's the world coming to? A sensible,polite and humorous post from Mr Clinton!

but to be fair, the inability to stop automatic updates is very relevant to boating!

..............Dave

I tried it but was underwhelmed so haven't looked at it again recently - I guess they've moved on to a different build version now, maybe they've even released it? The online store thing never worked for me so that made it awkward to actually do anything useful with it. I tend to do little on the actual PC I'm sat in front of these days, most of the time I'm connected by some kind of client software to another computer somewhere else!

You can opt not to receive the update that nags you to upgrade to Win 10.

It's in the "recommended" updates - KB3035583. Just uncheck it from the list of updates.

If you already have it, you can uninstall it (and stop the nagging) link below to useful article with instructions:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/remove-annoying-windows-10-upgrade-notification/

As with any "new" version of Windoze, the best time to upgrade toit is about one month before it is due to be replaced. That way at lest some of the bugs have been ironed out. I use Ubuntu most of the time but did buy a machine with 8 on it quite recently. Will stick with that until support runs out.

I have reserved a copy of Windows 10. I thought that I would be able to download when I chose which would be at least a couple of months after 29th July. However, I now realise (from previous posters) that it will be downloaded automatically and all I can choose is when to install.

My question is (and it's probably a daft one) if there are some problems with the OS within the first couple of months and which get ironed out, when I install the download will it contain all the un-ironed out problems?

I have reserved a copy of Windows 10. I thought that I would be able to download when I chose which would be at least a couple of months after 29th July. However, I now realise (from previous posters) that it will be downloaded automatically and all I can choose is when to install.

My question is (and it's probably a daft one) if there are some problems with the OS within the first couple of months and which get ironed out, when I install the download will it contain all the un-ironed out problems?

You can never tell with MS. Whatever seems logical, they will tend to do the opposite.

I imagine these days the install routine also downloads updates during its install, and that if there's been security issues in the first few months those will have been corrected with an update. But I don't know if your computer would be vulnerable to attack in between the original download and applying the updates - I'd imagine the risk is low though. If you're in any doubt, you could ditch the already-downloaded version and do it again, but obviously it would be another large download etc.

I imagine these days the install routine also downloads updates during its install, and that if there's been security issues in the first few months those will have been corrected with an update. But I don't know if your computer would be vulnerable to attack in between the original download and applying the updates - I'd imagine the risk is low though. If you're in any doubt, you could ditch the already-downloaded version and do it again, but obviously it would be another large download etc.

Thanks cheers.gif

With Windows 10 Microsoft are heading in to Software as a Service and always up to date is an important part of this in the same way Apple and Google get you to update their operating systems, which often involves buying a new device as well. If you don't update then suddenly apps stop working as developers code to the latest version. This has always been an issue for Windows as coders try to keep backward compatibility, I expect we will start seeing more Windows applications requiring the latest updates to be installed and of course keeping security updates applied is vital, especially if you have an operating system that supports Flash Player.

Translating "Windows as a service" into ordinary-folks-speech means "you pay for it on a continuing basis" i.e annual (or whatever) subscription. it also implies that the computer is 'always on'

Background apps on my machine are constantly polling the internet - using up my data allowance.

If this is an issue for folks then I suggest you upgrade to Win 8.1 but no further.

It's annoying that the nerds who keep creating unnecessary new Linux distributions don't work together to produce just one good one, and put the finishing touches to Libre Office (the MS Office alternative).

Then there would be a real alternative to Windows. Right now, the Linux world is a mess.

It's annoying that the nerds who keep creating unnecessary new Linux distributions don't work together to produce just one good one, and put the finishing touches to Libre Office (the MS Office alternative).

Then there would be a real alternative to Windows. Right now, the Linux world is a mess.

I sort of see what you mean; too many flavours of Linux.

Must say though I have used Mint, Ubuntu and Xubuntu a great deal, and am really impressed, especially given the price!

I do tend to use MS Word via Wine sometimes, and this has been fine.

I am sticking with Ubuntu LTS and only boot windoze for a certain CAD programme these days. Ubuntu is so much quicker than Windows in my experience.