a little rant about towpaths being anti mooring pins

DeanS

Featured Posts

Possibly being one of the few people in this group to have driven a steel pin into a high voltage cable, I can confirm that the pin will leave the ground like a rocket going into orbit, followed by a jet of flame several feet high.

I was holding the pin immediately before the last blow but, having felt it go firm, and not trusting my chainman with the hammer, I let go!

George ex nb Alton retired

This sounds enormous fun, can you remember exactly where this was?

:D

tell'em about the wolves, Dean. Stay in Camden!

Yes, it's terrible up here....the silence is deafening, the greenery is a shock to the senses...the lack of litter and yobs, is difficult to come to grips with, and the sparrows zipping along the canal are real scary....you don't wan't to come up here....rather stay down near New Islington marina, where it's nice and comfy, with lots of builders making stuff, and wonderful children having fun in the sun.

This sounds enormous fun, can you remember exactly where this was?

biggrin.png

Oh Yes! I was working on the railway at Seaforth, Liverpool building new bridges for the new Seaforth byepass. The cable was supplying the third rail.

George ex nb Alton retired

So how is the mooring project going up there then DeanS? I've never been up in the Pennines, on a boat or otherwise, but mountain tops do tend to be rocky, so Alan de Enfield's theory that your pins are going through a thin layer of topsoil then hitting hard rock sounds very plausible. Maybe CRT should send someone with a good drill up there and install some mooring rings, as I imagine it's a nice place to tie up in summer. Probably gets a bit bleak in winter though.

Oh yes!

5289060448_4916d81bb6_z.jpg

MtB, I smell a rat. These northern folk are having us on about the wolves, they only have those in Wolverhampton which is somewhere near Birmingham, don't they?

The cold winters on the other hand are probably true I think, they have photographic evidence. Unless of course that picture is a ringer taken in some other hilly place like Scotland.

DeanS, you can't scare us off with sparrows. We have ring-necked parakeets down here, and I can tell you the other birds don't mess with them.

For clarity, I should explain that I don't live in Camden, I gave that as an example of a place where CRT might perhaps feel there were slightly too many boats.

Also I don't yet have a boat of my own, but if and when I do I'll probably venture up north, if only to see Oswaldtwistle.

Hang on, where are all the marinas and shops????????

Can't see any red kites either...

OK you win stay down south - anyway when we passed through, Oswaldtwistle was closed due to the excessive numbers of visitors wandering along the towpath

I want to live in Oswaldtwistle!

Prince Charles and Camilla visited Oswaldtwistle and all the civic dignitaries were lined up at Church and Oswaldtwistle station ready for the Royal train to arrive, As the train wheezed and huffed to a standstill the door to the Royal carriage opened and out stepped HRH sporting a genuine fox fur hat, with the poor creature's tail hanging forlornly down his back.

The Mayor of Oswaldtwistle and the Lord Lieutenant of the County stepped forward and the Lord Lieutenant whispered in Charlie's ear, "My God, your Highness, it's one of the hottest days of the year, and - I mean, I know your views about hunting - but it's hardly politically correct, wearing a fox fur hat, now is it?"

"What???" exclaimed Charles, "oh, this old thing," he indicated his hat, "Mummy's idea!"

"Mummy's idea?" said the Lord Lieutenant incredulously, "you mean Her Majesty the Queen's idea???"

"Oh yes," replied Charles, "you see, at breakfast she asked me what I was doing today, and I told her that I was coming to Oswaldtwistle and she said 'Oswaldtwistle? Wear the fox hat?'

... Posted from Rishton, so I know the level of truth in it :)

Yes very amusing!!! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

HOWEVER...

I've bin looking at the map and discovered an enormous flaw in my plan to emigrate north. All the northern canals appear to be broad canals. I'll get agoraphobia!

Or is my map wrong?

Another thing I've noticed is there still seems to be loads of moorings for £1,300 a year up north, unlike the £3k a year they cost down here!

No, your maps are OK, its only the cut that is wide.

The overgrowth from both sides and the water level make it about the size of an elsan point, but less blue.

You mean there ARE some proper narrow locks and the place won't be infested with widebeams?

Phew!

You mean there ARE some proper narrow locks and the place won't be infested with widebeams?

Well narrowish locks. You can't get a breasted pair through many of them.

Not too many fat boats since we got the Bridgewater to stop them coming through.

Don't forget some of Dean's trouble is that he doesn't fit up most of the canals in Manchester.