How to check TV signal ?

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Our boat has SAT dish and a normal TV aerial. SAT TV works fine. I cannot however get any signal from the aerial. The aerial was fitted by the boat builder and I cannot access the wiring of it, well not without some hassle. Is there anyway to check if aerial is sending a signal to the TV connection? Its all rather confusing as the aerial cable comes into a booster box then back behind wood panels. What I am after is something that gives a signal reading like a SAT finder does? Hope this makes sense to someone here.

Thanks,

Ian.

Our boat has SAT dish and a normal TV aerial. SAT TV works fine. I cannot however get any signal from the aerial. The aerial was fitted by the boat builder and I cannot access the wiring of it, well not without some hassle. Is there anyway to check if aerial is sending a signal to the TV connection? Its all rather confusing as the aerial cable comes into a booster box then back behind wood panels. What I am after is something that gives a signal reading like a SAT finder does? Hope this makes sense to someone here.

Thanks,

Ian.

Have you checked that the booster is powered as you will not get any signal otherwise. There is usually a switch & indicator light on the booster.

How old is the boat? It could be that if the boat is a few years old the ariel maybe a non digital one.

It would make no difference. There is no such thing as a 'digital aerial' whatever the retailers might tell you.

Nope, the booster would just boost whatever is received. The flying saucers are omnidirectional, and like any such aerial are pretty much rubbish. It probably had just enough gain to get analogue in a semi-decent signal area, but just wasn't up to it with a slightly weaker (initially) digital signal. I had a Status flying saucer on our last caravan and it could sometimes pick up a worthwhile signal in a good reception area, but was never reliable. The new caravan has a directional (still a Status) and is leagues ahead.

Cheers,

Tony

Is the digital signal now at full strength as have heard a few tales of no tv with aerials?

Do you mean generally? I'm at a place where I usually get all the BBC channels but all I can get now is radio.

Hi..

Sorry if this is stating the 'bleedin' obvious'...

On the TV...you have selected the aerial as being a signal source ?

There should be a 'source' button on the remote control.

Although if you turn on your satellite box the TV will auto-select...it will not do that for the aerial socket.

You have to select it manually.

We've got something very similar to this. The problems is that it responds to mobile phone signals as well as to DTV signals so it usually just shows me the way to the nearest phone mast.

Is the digital signal now at full strength as have heard a few tales of no tv with aerials?

Pretty much, yep. But digital is much less forgiving than analogue. With the old system you could still get a 'noisy' picture with a bit of ghosting, a bit of sparkle etc. With digital it's a cliff edge - you either get a good signal or nothing. That's why so many boaters (and caravanners) use a dish for either Sky or Freesat.

This is a useful site, albeit a little technical.

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

If you have an android smart phone there is a simple free app called uk aerial alignment. It lets you choose from a variety of local transmitters so if the strongest is facing trees or is in the shadow of a hill for example you can choose another.

We use an Argos digital aerial purchased for about £14 or so and it seems to pick up well.

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

The method I used in marginal signal areas is:

1. Align the aerial using houses/businesses/other boats as a reference, but also using a mobile phone app eg "Antenna Pointer" for Android.

2. Retune the TV

3. Select a channel (or two, or three) and using the "Info" button on the remote, look at the signal strength the telly gives. Fine tune the aerial's direction with reference to this info. It helps to have two people for this, or to have the telly where you can see its screen as you turn the aerial.

If (1) is not possible then its a much longer affair but basically pick a direction, tune it, then try improve the signal using (3). If this fails, choose another direction at 90 deg to the original, then 180 deg, then 270 deg. The app really helps.

If you're getting NOTHING then I'd suggest one (or more) of the co-ax connections is broken or poorly formed - they are a bugger for this.

Is there anyway to check if aerial is sending a signal to the TV connection?

These tests will not prove signal but will prove connection from TV to aerial

With a continuity tester check between co-ax core and outer shield, if you get continuity then you have a 'short' and signal will fail to get through.

If that is OK then

If you can get to the aerial co-ax connection and the plug at the TV then short out one end (core and shield) and use a continuity tester at the other end, this will prove connection from aerial to TV.

If that fails to solve problem borrow some one else's aerial that is known to work and try that. (point it in the right direction wink.png )

If that proves your aerial is 'duff' go here:http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ No connection just a very satisfied customer.

Sadly (well for a quick 'definitive' answer on these fora), it all depends on where you are.

I have one of those Philex signal detector devices - and until recently I thought it was pants (I'm a satellite fan...). On our current foray from the Thames to Tipton, I thought I'd try to see whether I could get Freeview (FV) or not. Using the Philex box - if I got one LED alight I knew I could use FV, else I had to resort to the dish. I was amazed to find that in most/many places FV did work and only in a few locations did it not.

Much humbled

If the Philex box doesn't light one LED then you probably won't get a signal. Nothing wrong with the unit - but it's not very precise and definitely not very specific. I got a green light over a 90 degree arc, so couldn't 'peak' the signal.

Unlike a sat dish, you can/ may get a signal through trees...

Folks who move over long(er) distances should be aware that -

a) that the transmitter frequencies (channels) change from area to area

B) there are dead places between transmitters where you just won't get a signal.

My current trip went between Crystal Palace (London), Oxford, and Holme Moss (midlands) and al the equipment (TV and recorder) had to be retuned for each of these. In the gaps between these 'blocks' there was no signal at all...

That's why I prefer satellite overall. I always know before I stop If I can get a signal. However that is subject to The Management's - Stop Now- commands.

Pretty much, yep. But digital is much less forgiving than analogue. With the old system you could still get a 'noisy' picture with a bit of ghosting, a bit of sparkle etc. With digital it's a cliff edge - you either get a good signal or nothing. That's why so many boaters (and caravanners) use a dish for either Sky or Freesat.

This is a useful site, albeit a little technical.

http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

I have found this to be a myth; I had very poor analogue reception. When DTV was introduced I had much better pictures with some dropout. Since the transmitter power ha been increased on all channels I have a 40% signal strength and 90%+ quality even in marginal areas.

There is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'; the DTB bands are the same as were used by the analogue channels but in some areas a broader band aerial is required. Most, mobile, boaters will have a broadband aerial.

Wolfbane is good! I did find an even better website that shows the land profile between a transmitter and your location with coloured bands for predicted signal strength but I cannot find it now.

Alan