warning scram/fraud alert

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Not sure where to post this but here goes. On Sunday 21/06/2015 I purchased an eu20i generator from gumtree. I spoke to the guy who was selling the genny and paid the money into his Barclay account the item never arrived his phone is now switched unavailable. His details are Dave Hill, Newquay Cornwall mobile phone number 07951005480. Barclays bank sort code 20 70 94 account number 30174815. If anyone comes across any of these details on any selling sites do not send any money. All the information as now been passed onto Gumtree, Barclays fraud team and Action fraud. I hope this may help anyone now or in the future. Thanks

Never ever pay money direct into someone's bank account for a purchase like this. As you have found out its the last you'll ever see of your money or the item you were buying. For Ebay then paypal directly from the ebay email is fairly (but not completely) safe. Otherwise cash on collection is the only way to do it.

You won't see the money again, Nothing Barclays can do for you. No what you wanted to hear but a lesson learnt. Everyones done it at some point.

Barclays can request the payment back from the receiving bank.

Barclays can request the payment back from the receiving bank.

My understanding is that they can *request* the payment back, but if the account holder chooses to ignore that request there is little they can do. And they can't tell you the name and address of the account holder for data protection reasons. And as others have said the fraudster will have drawn the money out as soon as you paid and is now long gone. Likewise he has ditched the pay-as-you go SIM card he bought for cash and which is equally untraceable.

most of the time the bank account given is that of a "mule" usually someone duped by one of the work from home scams, they are usually under the impression they are receiving payments for an international company which they then forward to a different bank account (usually abroad) minus their commission.

when it all catches up their accounts are usually left well in the red by reversed payments

My understanding is that they can *request* the payment back, but if the account holder chooses to ignore that request there is little they can do.

They don't request it from the receiving account holder they request it from the receiving bank.

Not sure where to post this but here goes. On Sunday 21/06/2015 I purchased an eu20i generator from gumtree. I spoke to the guy who was selling the genny and paid the money into his Barclay account the item never arrived his phone is now switched unavailable. His details are Dave Hill, Newquay Cornwall mobile phone number 07951005480. Barclays bank sort code 20 70 94 account number 30174815. If anyone comes across any of these details on any selling sites do not send any money. All the information as now been passed onto Gumtree, Barclays fraud team and Action fraud. I hope this may help anyone now or in the future. Thanks

Thanks for the warning, sorry it has happened to you.

Sort of derived from this topic.... I'm just about to flog my car on Ebay. Assuming I can't expect someone to hand over about £1500 in cash, how can I avoid getting ripped off without it looking as though I'm trying to con someone else?

If its worth £1500, then cash is as reasonable way to expect payment as any other. Don't accept part cash part cheque, and don't be duped into giving the car away before full payment. Also they'll undoubtedly need to go to a bank to withdraw it, since cash machiness typically have a £300-500/day limit.

Sort of derived from this topic.... I'm just about to flog my car on Ebay. Assuming I can't expect someone to hand over about £1500 in cash, how can I avoid getting ripped off without it looking as though I'm trying to con someone else?

Absolutely nothing wrong with demanding cash. Other than the risk of accepting a fistful of forged notes.

I sold a car on ebay for £500 once and I had the opposite problem. A month after paying for it by paypal, the buyer still hadn't turned up and taken the damned thing away...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Its a pretty easy rule (ok 2 rules):

Face-to-face transactions, eg collection only: only do cash

Items you post: only do Paypal. Only use tracked postage/courier

This way, the most common frauds that even an idiot can think up, are nipped in the bud.

I was embarrassed once. Well more than once. But they are other stories.

I was buying our present car. I suggested we pay him by bank transfer. He was reluctant at first. I persuaded him to accept this. We had already given him a deposit. He also allowed us to take the car away.

To my horror I got a phone call from the seller that the money wasn't in his account. I thought the world has collapsed around me. I got to the bottom of it, the bank,my bank, had decided that for security, they withheld the payment suspecting that as I had paid a large amount to a new recipient there was some sort of funning goings on.

They didn't even email,text or call me to let me know or confirm all was well. The guy got his money eventually within the next couple of hours.

I felt like a fraud. Perhaps cash is better.

Martyn

He is a native english speaking person. What else have you found out about the mobile number and how did you go about it zenataomm because when I try to google nothing comes up. I have established the number is with the ee network on a top up plan

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, you can't be careful enough these days.

It happened to me several times, because I'm just too naive and always trust everybody, it has cost me a lot of money, but I don't think that I've learned anything from it (I know that it's stupid) but that's how I am.

Peter.

• Greenie 1