How to identify CMers

spadefoot

Featured Posts

I think you were moored near us yesterday. We walked past you when going up the Buckby flight later. We had our two JR's with us. Only just realised.

I guess you are preparing a repainted.

Yes now in the shade on the summit approaching tunnel. Yes repaint in progress when I find out of the way placed to run genny for sanding.

Sorry to hear of your illness but gladdened that you are still boating. I lost a dear boating friend to cancer a few years ago, sadly he never got the chance to cruise full-time. I named my boat in his honour.

All going well as last scan shows. Put it down to refuseing chemo and drasticaly changing diet.

Well if you go to Skipton, you might see an L&L short boat with a traditional Hiab on it. Ask that guy if he has seen any.

We'll lifting my engine 5ft from the deck to the engine beds by hand is beyond even my abilities. If you'd like to come and do it, I won't need to use hydraulic advantage.

Regards kris

Really great question to start with. There is so much discussion on this forum about those 'getting away with it' CMers that I really (really) want to know how many CART thinks there really are, how many we think there really are out of 32000 odd boaters.

I think (correct me everybody) that there are about 4,900 registered continuous cruisers in the UK....what percentage of that are 'taking the piss?'

Are we talking about 400 boats over the whole country? A thousand?

And if it's anything under a thousand why in god's name isn't there just one enforcement officer in Britain visiting every one in turn and chucking them off the system? It'd only take him or her about three years, cost less in labour than one failed court case and then we could all get on with talking about engines.

My suspicion is that the numbers are not nearly as great as some people would like to think. I certainly think that it is in the interests of many people to create an environment in which there is this huge problem. It's a bit like governments always having to make sure we've got a war on, there's always got to be some existential threat because then all sorts of rules and controls can be put in place. And it allows lots of macho folk to say they're in Enforcement.

And as I take my bow before being shot at dawn let me end by saying that having CC'd for years without infringing any rules I currently pay forty quid a week for a mooring.

Edited by Neil T
  • Greenie 1

Saw a rear fender with nasturtiums on it the other day, does that count? Boat was definitely moored. How about front fenders that look like dead badgers?

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever tried using a dead badger as a front fender?

No, but seen one used a side fender.

Saw a boat stuck fast in one of the narrower paired TM locks, went to offer help, He said it was 'cus the lock was narrow and he needed to fill it back up, I had a look and noted a large dead badger stuck between side of boat and wall of lock.

.............Dave

Really great question to start with. There is so much discussion on this forum about those 'getting away with it' CMers that I really (really) want to know how many CART thinks there really are, how many we think there really are out of 32000 odd boaters.

I think (correct me everybody) that there are about 4,900 registered continuous cruisers in the UK....what percentage of that are 'taking the piss?'

Are we talking about 400 boats over the whole country? A thousand?

And if it's anything under a thousand why in god's name isn't there just one enforcement officer in Britain visiting every one in turn and chucking them off the system? It'd only take him or her about three years, cost less in labour than one failed court case and then we could all get on with talking about engines.

My suspicion is that the numbers are not nearly as great as some people would like to think. I certainly think that it is in the interests of many people to create an environment in which there is this huge problem. It's a bit like governments always having to make sure we've got a war on, there's always got to be some existential threat because then all sorts of rules and controls can be put in place. And it allows lots of macho folk to say they're in Enforcement.

And as I take my bow before being shot at dawn let me end by saying that having CC'd for years without infringing any rules I currently pay forty quid a week for a mooring.

Hold on; are you saying it's only CC'ers that are CM'ers?

What's it called if someone has a home mooring but for whatever reason doesn't use it very often; and just leaves their boat tied up for weeks on end on the towpath in the same spot?

What's it called if someone has a home mooring but for whatever reason doesn't use it very often; and just leaves their boat tied up for weeks on end on the towpath in the same spot?

A problem that has been evident for some time, and is becoming a bigger one.

Dunking

Dumpers and have seen loads so far this year.

We'll lifting my engine 5ft from the deck to the engine beds by hand is beyond even my abilities. If you'd like to come and do it, I won't need to use hydraulic advantage.

Regards kris

Disassemble and reassemble it. Almost had to do that with my generator. Alternatively hire a digger.

Regards kris

Not trying to be funny, but years ago, hubby (the 1st one) and I removed the engine out of our CJ5 Jeep using a tri-pod and block and tackle. There was only the two of us.

Pulley's are your friend ninja.gif

A problem that has been evident for some time, and is becoming a bigger one.

Dumpers and have seen loads so far this year.

ok, so why are they referred to as dumpers and if we as cc'ers were to do it are referred to as CM'ers? Genuine question, not trying to stir.

ok, so why are they referred to as dumpers and if we as cc'ers were to do it are referred to as CM'ers? Genuine question, not trying to stir.

I am probably wrong but to me a dumper is somebody who doesn't live aboard but dumps the boat on the towpath rather than having a home mooring. A CMer is somebody who lives aboard but doesn't move.

At least that is how I interpret it as I said probably wrongly.

But since both type of boaters are doing the same thing or breaking the same "rule", why do we not refer to them both by the same reference either CM'er or Dumper?

Good question Dumper just seems to have appeared recently as far as I can see.

I certainly think that it is in the interests of many people to create an environment in which there is this huge problem. It's a bit like governments always having to make sure we've got a war on, there's always got to be some existential threat because then all sorts of rules and controls can be put in place.
This was the insightful part of the post, without chips we all might see it and no longer be divided to fall.

No dumpers have been around for years, it's just they have been identified as a problem recently.

Regards kris

I meant the term dumper. I haven't come across that until recently. I know boats have been dumped almost as long as I have had anything to do with canals.