Naughty-Cal's Fenland Foray

Featured Posts

So Naughty-Cal is ready for her next adventure into the unknown.

Just four more days at work, five for Liam, and we can set off for a couple of weeks of exploring the Great Ouse and it's tributaries.

DSC_0007.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

Currently moored just downstream from the bridge. I've got a doctors appointment on Tuesday afternoon and then we'll head up to Buckden to use their facilities before coming back to Huntingdon for a concert next weekend.

That will be the family stuff over for a while so we can move on up slowly to Bedford.

We are going to be out and about for the week commencing the 7th, try not to knock our pins out ( Just kidding)

Give us a toot if you see us , cream cabin sides, blue hull , stripes etc and the name Amber Rose Too enblazened on the sides

Phil

We have got a book which shows us what we need, but thanks for the offer.

I recall you mentioned maybe going up the Lark, well just a heads up, the new moorings have yet to get planning so your best bet would be to lock through at Isleham and moor at head of navigation at Judes Ferry pub, you can turn a 70 footer there so no problem for you. I know you said you don't do locks so if you PM me I'll give you my number and will work you through. ( only a few buttons to press)

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I recall you mentioned maybe going up the Lark, well just a heads up, the new moorings have yet to get planning so your best bet would be to lock through at Isleham and moor at head of navigation at Judes Ferry pub, you can turn a 70 footer there so no problem for you. I know you said you don't do locks so if you PM me I'll give you my number and will work you through. ( only a few buttons to press)

Phil

Thanks.

We have decided we will suffer one or two locks now that we are heading upstream a little further then intended biggrin.png

If you really insist though you can follow us around and be lock keepercheers.gif

I have just got off the phone with the lockie at Denver, what a lovely chap he is, very helpful.

It seems that my tide timings were pretty much spot on for the trip up river next Monday morning which was nice to know, his only suggestion was to leave perhaps 10 minutes later then we were thinking to let a bit more water run in.

So assuming all has gone to plan we should be arriving here:

http://www.sailthewash.com/marinas-and-pontoons/kings-lynn-visitor-pontoons/

at about 8.30am on Sunday morning and leaving at about 8.45am on Monday morning.

I have just got off the phone with the lockie at Denver, what a lovely chap he is, very helpful.

It seems that my tide timings were pretty much spot on for the trip up river next Monday morning which was nice to know, his only suggestion was to leave perhaps 10 minutes later then we were thinking to let a bit more water run in.

So assuming all has gone to plan we should be arriving here:

http://www.sailthewash.com/marinas-and-pontoons/kings-lynn-visitor-pontoons/

at about 8.30am on Sunday morning and leaving at about 8.45am on Monday morning.

Have a great trip. Do let me know if you have comments to add to my annotated photos (based on the old sketch charts that you sent me). (2.5 MB here).

I have added some words to photo 1, to show you which way to go when you get to Denver ... rolleyes.gif

Just in case you haven't caught up with EA notices, At Ives Lock will be closed on 7 and 8 July and St Neots Lock is closed until further notice.

We don't intend to go as far upstream as St Neots.

We knew that St Ives was manned due to a fault but have not received notice that it will shut!

Just looked on the EA website and no change to the notice on there.

We don't intend to go as far upstream as St Neots.

We knew that St Ives was manned due to a fault but have not received notice that it will shut!

Just looked on the EA website and no change to the notice on there.

See here -- dated yesterday. The twitter feed does seem to work best. [i don't particularly like it as a means of communication, but it does seem the most up to date source of information]. Hope this does not muck up your plans too much.

If I understand correctly, you'll be passing the entrance to the Middle Levels (half a mile from Denver sluice) but not going in there, is that right?

Yes that's right.

We are heading up the 100ft and heading to St Ives for our first evening.

See here -- dated yesterday. The twitter feed does seem to work best. [i don't particularly like it as a means of communication, but it does seem the most up to date source of information]. Hope this does not muck up your plans too much.

It does a little bit, we had planned to be back through St Ives on the 8th but we can mill around upstream for an extra day no trouble.

In fact speaking to the lockie at Denver yesterday our tide to leave Denver on Monday 13th isn't while 5pm so we have in effect gained an extra day anyway, so we won't lose out and will still get to visit all of the places we intended to.