Naughty-Cal's Fenland Foray

Featured Posts

Very frustrating.

... or going in at Denver and doing the tributaries in a different order, and then returning via the New Bedford?

No doubt Phil will say that the locks have detected you are coming, but I am sure that is unfair ....

Very frustrating.

... or going in at Denver and doing the tributaries in a different order, and then returning via the New Bedford?

No doubt Phil will say that the locks have detected you are coming, but I am sure that is unfair ....

For now we will stick with Plan A and head up the 100ft and hope the locks are fixed.

If not we can still head through the lock at Earith and explore that way in further detail then originally intended before leaving via Denver.

Latest intel from GOBA - I will send NC a PM is that

* EA staff now in attendance at all three locks, St Ives St Neots and Brownshills (where they have the wrong sort of sun).

* At St Ives there is some risk of the guillotine descending when not desired!

* St Ives stoppage should be done in a day, but second is as a precaution.

NB Houghton & Hemingford meadows just above St Ives are glorious. There are many worse places to be stuck, and not many that are better.

Very frustrating.

He He He ?

Phil

When do you leave?! Very jealous.

Tonight when Liam has finished work. Should be at marina for about 6.30pm and we can just jump on the boat and go.

I have just got to nip to the butchers this afternoon and everything is good to go.

Have a good one!

The Ferry Boat at Hollywell is well worth a look, cracking mooring and not a bad pub :)

We plan to visit that one on our way back downstream. Need to get through St Ives Lock before 4pm on the way upstream as it is shut for the two days after.

Tonight when Liam has finished work. Should be at marina for about 6.30pm and we can just jump on the boat and go.

I have just got to nip to the butchers this afternoon and everything is good to go.

Just arrived. boat a bit hot. I will pop round to say hello after lunch, before we set off !

Just arrived. boat a bit hot. I will pop round to say hello after lunch, before we set off !

You can say hello to Naughty-Cal but I'm back in Sheffield again now :)

Have a great trip. We stopped at Bardney for shopping and ice cream at the heritage place, but now pressing on as we have limited time to get to Boston and back.

We are aiming for The Packet Inn at Dog Dyke tonight. Should get there for last orders.

You can say hello to Naughty-Cal but I'm back in Sheffield again now :)

We are aiming for The Packet Inn at Dog Dyke tonight. Should get there for last orders.

That's certainly a possibility for us. Is it the nicest of the 3 pubs / moorings round there?

That's certainly a possibility for us. Is it the nicest of the 3 pubs / moorings round there?

Which ones are you considering?

All the moorings have pubs nearby.

We always aim to visit the Packet as the staff are so friendly. Bit old school but always a warm welcome with home cooked food at reasonable prices.

Which ones are you considering?

All the moorings have pubs nearby.

We always aim to visit the Packet as the staff are so friendly. Bit old school but always a warm welcome with home cooked food at reasonable prices.

The other 2 being the Royal Oak and the crown lodge.

The Packet is probably the better of the three.

Liam likes the Oak because it has some old arcade games. It is like stepping back in time, but not really somewhere we would spend a whole evening. Worth popping in for a quick pint though.

The Packet is probably the better of the three.

Liam likes the Oak because it has some old arcade games. It is like stepping back in time, but not really somewhere we would spend a whole evening. Worth popping in for a quick pint though.

You'll probably find a 59' narrowboat clogging up the dogdyke moorings when you get there!

There's a nice bit of fishing line attached to the overhead power lines just short of kirkstead bridge, dangling just above the water mid-channel. I guess fishing line is non-conductive, but nevertheless slightly alarming! (I missed it, just)

Not sure what it is with us, banks and going on holiday.

I've just had to cancel my bank card as I have managed to drop it somewhere today.

Luckily this year we have Liams with us.

They probably don't take plastic in the fens anyway!