When has site performance last been this bad?

Featured Posts

We are very aware that the site is has significant issues this evening, after the rather traumatic and prolonged outage to update the database software in a drive to fix other far less major issues.

We can but apologise for this, ask for you patience, and work to resolve the issue.

Daniel

We are very aware that the site is has significant issues this evening, after the rather traumatic and prolonged outage to update the database software in a drive to fix other far less major issues.

We can but apologise for this, ask for you patience, and work to resolve the issue.

Daniel

I'd assumed that this was the "outage" planned for early yesterday but that it was working on canal time.

I'm not outraged by the outage.

The trouble with advertising is that it slows down page loading massively, it is for that reason that I have stopped using AOL homepage, there are so many adverts loading when you log on that the whole process is so slow that the will to live just ebbs away:angry:

I use a variety of web browsers, including opera, Safari, Google, Firefox etc. all with advertising off. I can confidently assure you the problem lies within the software on the site, not your end user toolkit. This is compounded by users trying to post or refresh items time and time again in rapid succession.

I use a variety of web browsers, including opera, Safari, Google, Firefox etc. all with advertising off. I can confidently assure you the problem lies within the software on the site, not your end user toolkit.

The site software has even posted your avatar at a 90 degree angle, can't trust it.

How do you switch off the advertising? I generally use Internet Explorer.

Ad block works for me.

https://getadblock.com/

Thanks, I will try that.

Larkshall, I was joking about your avatar. As for versions of IE, I was unaware that there were different ones. I looked at my control panel which simply said "Internet Explorer is the default browser". The computer and its contents were installed recently (January 2014) if that gives a clue.

Thanks, I will try that.

Larkshall, I was joking about your avatar. As for versions of IE, I was unaware that there were different ones. I looked at my control panel which simply said "Internet Explorer is the default browser". The computer and its contents were installed recently (January 2014) if that gives a clue.

Posts is why 8.1 then. I'll find a windows machine and sort the settings out for you (I'm an apple/Unix Unix site)

I'm finding that if I go to the list of new posts since my last visit, which is what I usually do, and click on a topic title of my choice, either nothing happens and I'm left clicking away like a lemon (now there's a dodgy simile for you) or it will take me to the topic but extremely slowly - 20 or 30 seconds later.

Last night's problems persist this morning for me...

I have only just managed to open this thread. I could not get on at all yesterday and its taken me 15 minutes to get this far today but hey ho its only fun so no big deal.

Tim

I just wonder if it is anything along the lines (in Oracle terms) of 'No implied order'. Oracle always said there was 'no implied order' in the databases and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) programs always worked just fine until about Oracle 10 (I think) when 'no implied order' really did come into existence and we had to add a number of indexes and a lot of 'order by' statements which did fix things. I just wonder the current apparent slowness of the database is due to something similar?

Edited by Leo No2

Damn, tried to reply but - 'Fatal Error'!

Damn, tried to reply but - 'Fatal Error'!

And again!

Third attempt to reply:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 10485760) (tried to allocate 49152 bytes) in /home/ggbqjfrf/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 311

I have the perfect remedy to forum downtime, not just this one but others....

Walk away from your pc and get some fresh air, or go for a pint.

Its only a forum!

Agreed - if the forum misbehaving is such a catastrophe find an alternative way of spending your time. I always have a book to read or trawl through the iPlayer archive on the BBC. But then I'm working in the day so don't have as many hours to fill as some. (I know my time will come :))

Agreed - if the forum misbehaving is such a catastrophe find an alternative way of spending your time. I always have a book to read or trawl through the iPlayer archive on the BBC. But then I'm working in the day so don't have as many hours to fill as some. (I know my time will come :))

Whilst this of course is perfectly true the point is that some of us enjoy the forum (when it's working properly) and feel entitled to comment on its performance, particularly when it is pretty poor, which again it is tonight ..... again.

I am only able to access it periodically as we are part way through a journey to the Lot, France but it's bluddy annoying that on each occasion I have tried during a break in the journey forum performance has been utterly hopeless, apart from a brief time this morning.

<about to press post so hoping this goes>

I very much enjoy using this site and get a tremendous amount of fun from it, (when its working properly). However being totally IT illiterate I try to limit my comments to statements of when and where things went wrong and just hope that those who understand this esoteric subject magic manage to fix it

I very much enjoy using this site and get a tremendous amount of fun from it, (when its working properly). However being totally IT illiterate I try to limit my comments to statements of when and where things went wrong and just hope that those who understand this esoteric subject magic manage to fix it

Lovely.

However the whole point of starting this thread was simply to ask if if any body can remember it ever being this bad before and offer an alternative. Similar alternatives were being suggested on the CWDF Facebook page during the most recent outage.

I moderate on a site that I have been a member of since 2012. I can recall one day's outage in that time, it is however funded to a degree by accepting adverts. Whereas here the forum is financially supported by the owner and voluntary donations of others.

I don't think it requires technical expertise to realise one of the issues the forum has relates to how it's funded.