Glad I didn't meet that in Wasts Hill tunnel

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Boat just went past with a 400W mains floodlight on the front as tunnel light. Given that it was foggy in there yesterday, anyone he meets won't stand a chance......

MP.

Thats so he can spot the canoes with head lamps facing the other way

Would that be a 400W SON-T. Gives out about the equivalent of 800W incandescent lamp. Definitely a bit OTT. However, if it were directed directly upwards towards the tunnel roof so that the lamp itself can not be seen by the steerer or oncoming boats it could be beneficial for all surely.

Edited by Radiomariner

I would like to see tunnel lights fixed and pointing upwards sufficiently to avoid blinding the steerer of oncoming boats. When I started boating I managed to go through narrow tunnels without hitting the sides using a 36W tunnel lamp. I don't see that anyone needs anything more powerful than a standard car headlamp.

• Greenie 1

I would like to see tunnel lights fixed and pointing upwards sufficiently to avoid blinding the steerer of oncoming boats. When I started boating I managed to go through narrow tunnels without hitting the sides using a 36W tunnel lamp. I don't see that anyone needs anything more powerful than a standard car headlamp.

HID lamps for all then

I've been through wasthill single-handed with just a head-torch. No problem. Your eyesight adjusts. I had a bright torch at the ready in case a boat came the other way, so they could see me better but I met nobody else in the tunnel.

If everyone had dim lights it would probably be easier overall since nobody would get blinded.

• Greenie 1

I am still a firm advocate for our northern single way tunnels for a front lamp plus a magnet mounted lamp by the steerer to illuminate both the boat roof to assist steering and the tunnel roof for height changes.

Obviously in two way tunnels both lamps can be angled well up to the right and still retain the safety aspect.

My rear light is a Durite type with a magnetic base and a plug for a cigar lighter socket. I believe some call them plant lights.

I too deplore the new fashion for powerful lights. Eyes soon accustom as DaveP says. But then, there seems to be an awful lot of paranoia about many aspects of boating these days. Where the Francis searchlight fascination came from, I've no idea. Bob Middleton in Manchester supplies replica old style car headlamps, perfectly adequate....

Cheers

Grumpy Dave

( on holiday in Madeira)

I too deplore the new fashion for powerful lights. Eyes soon accustom as DaveP says. But then, there seems to be an awful lot of paranoia about many aspects of boating these days. Where the Francis searchlight fascination came from, I've no idea. Bob Middleton in Manchester supplies replica old style car headlamps, perfectly adequate....

Cheers

Grumpy Dave

( on holiday in Madeira)

Totally agree, it's the I'm alright brigade with search lights who don't consider the effect on on coming boats

I use a car fog light, about 40watts, angled to the right and up, but I have ready a 1000000 candle power hand lamp, in case I get blinded by oncoming twits with searchlights.

I once met a steam launch in Hasthill tunnel and he was using a hurricane lamp, it looked like a dim fog traveling towards me.

But the most scary was a yoghurt pot with only a t-light in a jam jar, I saw him ok and stopped to let him pass, but he want on his way bouncing of the walls, I think he may of had to much vino!

It takes all sorts.

The comment about the yoghurt pot made me smile. I often just have the nav lights on when in a tunnel, then mast is folded back and as a result lights the tunnel roof beautifully and the port and stbd lights show the sides fine. If anyone is coming the other way I put on the tunnel light that is pointed upwards at the roof so that I can be seen better, but my view of the tunnel is better with it off (until the glare from an approaching boat gets to me that is)

When we go through the longer tunnels we have a "system" ,,, and when we had friends on board last year they had us in fits of laughter... dogs locked inside, tunnel light checked before entering, hatch and back doors shut and all interior lights on so that the light illuminates the tunnel sides... Our visitor, when told to go in , stay inside and put all interior lights on , . did exactly as told but when I got in I didn't get any of the side light.... turned out he'd drawn the curtains to make it cozy!

When we go through the longer tunnels we have a "system" ,,, and when we had friends on board last year they had us in fits of laughter... dogs locked inside, tunnel light checked before entering, hatch and back doors shut and all interior lights on so that the light illuminates the tunnel sides... Our visitor, when told to go in , stay inside and put all interior lights on , . did exactly as told but when I got in I didn't get any of the side light.... turned out he'd drawn the curtains to make it cozy!

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

hatch and back doors shut and all interior lights on so that the light illuminates the tunnel sides.

.... turned out he'd drawn the curtains to make it cozy!

Love it, but a bit of light out the back helps any boat following.

Nothing to do with tunnels and I have posted this before, but when we moored on the Broads one of the trip boats would come past at night with 2 night sun lights pointing ahead and a bank of 3 doen both sides so the trippers could see the scenery. As we often had to come home by dinghy at night we complained to the tour company but to no avail, however a "squirt" at the helm with a 5000 candle power lamp persuaded them to dip the lights.

Phil