Engine looks tatty, rusty compartment

me1bee

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are still boat searching, but obviously due to the time of year we are now restricted in selection. We now have at least decided upon what size and layout which has taken us from Xmas. Question is this.... when it comes to engines, we know the good and bad ones, but how much difference does it make if the compartment seems rusty? as a lot seem like this and it is offputting, yet the boats seem in tip top condition.

We are looking at a Liverpool boat which appears to have a good fit out and ticks all the boxes but the engine is putting us off as there is rust in the compartment (Izuzu) Can anyone offer any advice? We would not really prefer a Liverpool boat as there are offputting reviews, but they also seem a bit mixed so maybe worth a chance.

To my mind if someone has neglected the engine and its compartment, what else could they have neglected? After all after the hull the engine is probably the next most expensive component.

With regard to Liverpool boats, they are boats built to a lowish budget, but none the less made of thicker steel than most working boats. Also any delivery faults are likely to heve been fettled by now. For their original price they were good value for money. Get a surveyor to check the boat over before committing to buying.

Depend slightly on how its tatty. Cruiser sterns especially make it hard to keep the area clean and dry, so light rusting is not uncommon, as long as the filters and oil have been changed and there isnt huge sheets of rust coming up, its u likely there is lasting damage. Time is money, and for instance, I know the engine bay of my car (pre undertray vintage) is far pristeen, even thought its mechanically totally sound.

Daniel

Agree with cuthound. Tatty engine area means they couldn't be arsed so what else couldn't they be arsed to sort out, oil changes maybe.

Or maybe knew nothing about it and paid a man to change oil, filters and top up batteries every 200 hrs without fail. Its very hard to tell. He wouldn't be painting the engine bay.

Or maybe knew nothing about it and paid a man to change oil, filters and top up batteries every 200 hrs without fail. Its very hard to tell. He wouldn't be painting the engine bay.

I have to agree I paid someone every 250 hours to change oil and filters and engine is perfect engine bay could do with clean it as I never go down there it has only been done a few times by engineers who have given it a bit of a wipe. Some of us are just not built to go into engine space!!

I have to agree I paid someone every 250 hours to change oil and filters and engine is perfect engine bay could do with clean it as I never go down there it has only been done a few times by engineers who have given it a bit of a wipe. Some of us are just not built to go into engine space!!

Similar. We do all our own maintenance, I am a graduate engineer, and care that things are looks after well.

I am however also busy, and if I know its not doing harm it stops being a priority, and I focus on other things.

Daniel

Indeed. It strikes me it's perfectly possible to have a nice shiny engine bay that encases an engine (and gearbox) that has rarely had the correct oil or filter changes. Appearances can be very deceptive as the saying goes.

ed - it reminds me of the days when car engines were often sold as 'fully reconditioned' when in fact all they had had was a power wash and a coat of paint.

Edited by MJG

I don't think I've worked on a boat that hasn't had some rust in the engine bay, especially cruiser stern boats. Most boat builders, even the so called bespoke brigade too it seems don't bother much about preparing the area properly before painting and usually just slap red oxide straight over light rust and dirt and one coat of bilge paint on top of that which usually only holds down the rust for a few months or so.

Many years ago I bought an eight year old boat that had no rust in the under-deck engine compartment, everything was covered by a thin mist of diesel fuel. I replaced all of the copper gaskets on fuel unions, cleaned the engine compartment and within a short time surface rust appeared.

Self-draining decks, dripping stern glands and inadequate ventilation make for severe condensation that will penetrate all but the best paint system. I would not worry about surface rust, it is easy to deal with. Rust may be an indication that the engine is not breathing oil due to poor compression.

OTOH, you may view a boat with a 'pristine' engine compartment that has been carefully 'prepared' by the vendor to hide the defects. I would much rather view a boat (or car) before it is 'valeted'.

HTH, Alan

I wouldn't just trust the cleanliness of an engine bay as a sign of good maintenance. I would also look for evidence of regular servicing, receipts for oil and filters or invoices for someone having paid to have the engine serviced, spanner marks on alternators adjustment bolts, the "feel" of the engine oil on my fingers etc. However I still think a clean engine bay is a good sign, as it all!aows the owner to quickly spot oil or diesel leaks. It comes from 40 odd years experience in the power & cooling industry.

It's easy for a beginner new boater to evaluate the accommodation, but much more difficult to do the same to the mechanicals and that includes plumbing, loos, electrics and so on.

An enthusiastic prior owner might just have driven the boat and not much more. There have been some horrors photographed on here. If the whole engine bay is rusty with no signs of good sound paint and the engine is mucky with poor hoses, then I'd be seriously concerned. I'd look a bit deeper (filthy oil, low oil in the gearbox, clattery when in gear) - before going any further.

If you could see the true state of the cabin bilge you probably wouldn't be too bothered about a rusty engine bay.

Bilges generally are poorly protected against rust, or at least they have been in the past, and it's impossible to stop water/moisture getting in somewhere so you have to expect a certain amount of surface rust.

What should concern you more is if there are lengths of fuel line or electric wire/cable flapping about. Neatly secured cable/pipe runs are a good sign of a careful owner.

Whilst you're in the engine bay don't forget to have a go at removing the weed hatch. You'll have to do it at some point and being caught mid-cut with a stalled engine in the pouring rain isn't a good time to find out how hard it is.

I agree with what everyone else says. Expect surface rust on a cruiser but if its flaking off in sheets I'd worry a little. Mainly need to check hull survey report more than anything for various hull thicknesses. Surface rust can be treated once you buy it.