A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

I think it's ok, and unique now. It has that slightly surprised look that you see following plastic surgery. Keep up the good work.

Boatox.smile.png Indeed you're doing a great job Wolly, really good stuff.

Morning chaps, yep looks will change again and again on its way back to the water. Like i do i was chilling watching a film last night thinking on the boat, got up and sod it, do a job and do it right, we are off shopping soon and then back to shave these two lengths of 4x4 to shape and cascamite in place for the keel. Cant do any harm only good for it. It will help if i get smashed against a few rocks if i get to take her to sea :)

Another thought was to make a built in freshwater tank from ply and more GRP, make to the shape i need then, not sure on the lining of it yet, not sure if i need to treat the surface or if it can be left .Just like to make work for myself i think, well as you can see from this project.

Talking of making work for myself i have found my next project already, if only i could though, i would make this into a liveaboard for us.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271951103589?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks to me like an ex RN admirals barge. Used to look better when in service. Would be interesting to see what is n the plaque on the bow.

Martyn

I dont know what i was contemplating with this keel malarky, an afternoon and its done, not fixed in place as i am knackered now and its late, but its made and ready for the cascamite and laminating in.

Some 4x4 i had lying around

AQa3xhI.jpg

Oh and a cidre and snack, i need my treast on shopping day :)

weIemu5.jpg

Not a clue where the pics have gone but used what i had to hand to shape the timber to the pain of a shape is was, something like bloody 4 dimensional i think lol.

My circular saw and elecy planer, sods law the belt snapped on the last few shaves so had to finish with a flap disc sander.

OESD3QN.jpg

nC0Ap07.jpg

bY7iUIx.jpg

I1ESWF9.jpg

All i need to do now is try to find a way to dry it all out and clean up all the surfaces to stick inplace with the Cascamite then dry before i laminate, the rear deck inner keel has to be made but thats just a length of 3x2 that goes through the lower bulkhead section and joins to the front length.

I wil sort it when i can asap, we have a week off week after next as we are off for a long weekend down wales then rest of the week off to play out :)

Sanding and bearers etc i hop will get done, maybe even the floor.

Lets not get carried away though, all done in good time i hope.

• 2 weeks later...

We must be due another update by now surely cheers.gif

Go on then, i wasnt going to bother until it got a bit exciting with the new floor fitted at least, but a few things got in the way, like a weekend away to Llandudno boat spotting , a late B`day break, but i missed the boat.

Now where was we, i got both front and rear keels fitted and sealed in. Aswell as the lower bulkhead so the cabin is water tight from the rear deck....well if there was a deck.

I used used 3x2 for the rear keel and made a slot for when water gets in it gets to both sides of the keel to pump out.

02fGEZm.jpg

It goes through the bulkhead and is glued with Purocol Express then laminated in place with the front keel.

The rear bearers are not yet fitted in place but the front are fixed with resin for now, i have ran out of CSM, gutted :(

Mqf4vEO.jpg

pT14CKF.jpg

For the water to get around the rear keel, saves on two bilge pumps

Dont worry the laminating is good, it was filled of water before i took these pics for you, all the white patchs is the sanding dust, i will be glad when its all done, but loads more to come.

1WwaJiz.jpg

Ue8ulKm.jpg

And joined the two keels together solid.

dUdfley.jpg

nuBeGbZ.jpg

I coated the bearers before i stuck them down with a coat of the laminating resin to help keep water tight. As said i am out of CSM and will be shopping this week end i hope for some more aswell as the plywood for the floor/rear deck, engine well and transom, so loooaads to come to do.

nM57iKP.jpg

YR3zj3U.jpg

Now what i have done is leave this hole in the bow which is now near level with the keel so when i need to wash the inside donw from dust its easier than brushing it all up.

LWcusUt.jpg

As there is no more building work to do me and T got on with sanding, got a fair bit done in the last few days,once again i hate sanding soooooo bad i just want to get it done, after 6 hours today doing i hav ehad enough and buzzing all over aswell as aching so bad, got bad fingers and elbows as it is :(, BUT no pain no gain :))

I am not ashamed to say when i got under the boat i found all this i wish i didnt get it, but after a few minutes i seen the light once again, everything is fixable and easy so soldier on i did :)

There has been a lot of patch work done in the past above and below the water line, looks ok but sits proud. This is just a few of the mnay patchs that have been done over the years

21DRe1c.jpg

A few crazed areas cleaned back to find the original gel coat had come loose on a big scale, i think from impact damage but from the inside by looks, the laminates are fine though thank goodness.

YQjPtRt.jpg

9oZeOOI.jpg

On the top side i removed the pulpit rial as it needs a good one, i will be building one from plumbers copper and then taking to a stainless fab shop to get it made up, with a nice hardwood slat seat built in on the bow, and to help as a foot steady to haul anchor :)

QrHRygp.jpg

YYcXTOf.jpg

Vt0TDjc.jpg

cHw0k1W.jpg

You will see in the first of these outer pics the back end is very close to the wall so we are unable to get in the sand etc, also you will see i have added new supports to thee cross beams, the idea is to get some 4-5 inch thick round fence posts and sit the cross beams on these so then we can push the boat over to the other side of the drive to work the other side....easy :)

I will not be fixing the hull below the first chine, maybe clean it back, but above will be a done soon i hope as soon as the rear deck and transom is done so then we are going to prime it all at least before winter so then i can do work on the inside, then next spring/summer finish the hull before launch time..........launch time, by eck that sounds a long way off if at all.

I think that is all to update, Its good to loom at this it really doesnt seem to change much when you see it on the drive everyday.

I like it without the pulpit rail

You have been busy!

Richard

Hi Richard, busy is not the word i am shattered, went away for a rest, did nothing but walk everywhere..

Actually i do aswell, just dont trust myself on the bow after a pint.

Wooly,

Do you find yerself down Northampton way much?

We have a fair bit of CSM kicking about at work, if you are this way I could get some organised for you.

Hi Gazza, i do come down with work but its unkown when as i am a relief driver and short notice and can be just for one day. Thanks for the offer of help though kida ;)

I have been pretty much off the forum since early April due to being on a long trip on my lady's narrowboat. Read this thread today and I have to say it is the best thing I have read since I got back last week.

More power to your elbow W. Its fascinating, watching your progress.

Hi Richard, busy is not the word i am shattered, went away for a rest, did nothing but walk everywhere..

Actually i do aswell, just dont trust myself on the bow after a pint.

Hi Gazza, i do come down with work but its unkown when as i am a relief driver and short notice and can be just for one day. Thanks for the offer of help though kida ;)

No worries, give us a shout if you do find yerself this way, I'm in work Monday to Friday and I'm on here a bit too much :) so will usually see a message, even if its short notice :cheers:

We use fibreglass for making pipe liners (300mm-1000mm diameter jobs) they have off cuts galore. I've often thought a canoe or dinghy mould wouldn't go amiss :) loads goes in the skip which is bloody criminal really :(

You're doing a grand job with her BTW.

I have been pretty much off the forum since early April due to being on a long trip on my lady's narrowboat. Read this thread today and I have to say it is the best thing I have read since I got back last week.

More power to your elbow W. Its fascinating, watching your progress.

Thankis Bazza, hope you enjoyed your trip, jammy begger, one day for me i hope. And glad you like :)

No worries, give us a shout if you do find yerself this way, I'm in work Monday to Friday and I'm on here a bit too much smile.png so will usually see a message, even if its short notice cheers.gif

We use fibreglass for making pipe liners (300mm-1000mm diameter jobs) they have off cuts galore. I've often thought a canoe or dinghy mould wouldn't go amiss smile.png loads goes in the skip which is bloody criminal really sad.png

You're doing a grand job with her BTW.

I have my mind set on a small fishing boat mould for years, just nowhere to do it, i have space but nothing undercover.

I wouldnt mind a sea Yak for fishing and keep looking at either making one, not that i know much about the Yak`s to build one from GRP, or get one in need of repair, could do wood maybe from a plan but its the weight and not actaully seen a plan for one yet..

A rough wooden one would make a good plug for a grp mould smile.png

Selway do good plywood kit plans aswell, good lightweight ones around 15 foot. I havnt seen many second hand wooden yak`s about come to think of it.

Hang on, i need to finish this first lol, aswell as build a trailer for it. I have been reduced to just one project by T :(

Looking good.

From over the road lol

Today i got funds to get more CSM and resin so i popped off to the local suppliers for the gear, i got another 5kg of 450grm and 20kg resin, aswell as a nice new sanding block to make life easier still and better finish.

As it happen i didnt expect to get much done as weather was to be thunder storms, although when i got home late morning it was fairly good so i cracked on inside and finshing the bearers.

For the laminating i used two laminations of 450grm and also 300grm woven.

iZt5VHY.jpg

I cut them all to length as you should so no faffing when the resin is setting.

and all set out in place

v0n0wpv.jpg

bV3Ayh7.jpg

Now then, this stuff sets or gels quicker than you think when you are working with it so only mix what you think you will use in say 20 mins, or its all waisted resin, for these that are interested in the mix ration i use 1% catalyst, so in this stage i used near 1 litre of resin and 10ml catalyst as it is what i had left in the old resin drum, dont use less than 1 % as it can make a mess of the way it sets. Also the hotter the ambient temp is the quister it will set so mix less again than you thin you will need, just pour more tubs then when you have used the first tub add the catalyst and carry on.

aUSgi0v.jpg

This took an hour or so to sort out and is now setting until i check it hld ok tomorrow, always leave for a good 24hrs to set.

Hang on no finished pic, ill be back with it later.

In the mean time after that was done i was knackered again so i decided to do some detail work on the shell. the gun wale are chipped bad in a few place so i could use the new sanding block and also some cracking sand paper to do the job.

I found this the othe day in BnQ in the bargain bucket, not that it was cheap then but i was intrigued with it.

WQk72Uy.jpg

£3 was steep for 2 sheets but i was in a good mood lol. I used it on the orbital sander and palm for sanding the hull and worked great so i gave it a go with the new block

fQll1Ly.jpg

Ok T gave it a go for me :)

yGvnhET.jpg

I filled she sanded.

QP1fVFk.jpg

Its all looking better now after a good sand here and there and detail work aswel. not a great deal done but these little bits are important for the finish, all in the prep hey, hope to get the floor done this week and onto the transom, i have decided what to do with it anyway as last night i was cutting and shutting timber to work it all out. i will tell all later..

I think it is the secret of a good relationship - sharing things

This afternoon Sue was cleaning SR engine parts whilst I painted them

We know how to show a girl a good time

Richard

Not sure on T cleaning engine parts, i will see soon though, she never has in the past, i only just got away with putting engine parts in the oven to dry them quick. I am thinking on showing her how to fibreglass, mite be again pushing my luck.

It's a few days since I read the thread.......Wow......you do crack on.......power to your elbow (& T's) .....when you look back at the first photo's it's incredible!!!! clapping.gif

Well John, today i threw the towel in and gave in on the small job at hand, yesterday i fixed the side ribs in place as below then today i wanted to laminate them in. BUT nope, i messed up, to tired i think. forgot to radius the edges of the 2x2.

Yesterday i started the side ribs, got one side done as i cant get to the other yet until i push the boat over so its one side at a time. amazing how much sturdier it is with just the bearers and ribs in.

As the original were 2x2 i used the same, i could of used the old fixing holes but in the 40 years of this boats life it has had a new strakes/ribs fitted as you mite be able to make out in the pics. Instead though i drilled more for these new ribs, not decide yet if i will be fitting wooden rubbing strakes but thye are there for when i do decide.

I kept the same length of ribs, as the hull is a little curved it braced the new ones inplace.

q7XZLB3.jpg

the lower rib goes through the bulkhead, thought it mite help keep more rigid.

y6fkA9n.jpg

Oh yes more grinding/sanding back was needed for the good surface for laminating later, thank god for dust masks

7vakvc4.jpg

To ensure i got the correct line for drilling hole from the outside i drilled small holes along the bottom of the batten so then on the outside i could find the correct line for drilling for the fixing the screws. i stuck a few screws in the holes to find the holes easier.

OfClD00.jpg

I drilled and counter sunk the holes for the fixing screws and marked just so i know where they are, going loopy a bit nowadays so these little things help lol.

e7lci1C.jpg

I just used N o5 30mm screws to hold it place as the GRP will do the main job. As said above i started to laminate tonight but i am tired and as yesterday aslo i forgot to radius the edges of the battens to get a better bond of the GRP and made a mess of it so instead of chucking a spanner......eerrr brush, i left it and will amend maybe tomorrow. No big deal.

Once i have sorted this bit i will be starting on the transom and then deck and cabin door, biggest jobs yet i reckon, be good to see it done though.

As mad as it seems i would rather be welding than messing with fibreglass, i so regret having to get rid of the NB. How things change in life, i have jacked in with messing with cars etc etc mainly welding them though, got sick off welding rust, and decided to get on with boats, my biggest love really..

If i could find a 35 foot+ GRP boat projecti would be in my element i reckon.

You are doing great :)

Reading this reminds me of when I was a youth and used to do weekend work at a boat building place that made GRP yacht hulls. I mainly swept up, brewed up and rolled ciggies for the guys laminating (no health and safety then), but seeing the resin and mat in your pics takes me back. I can smell the polyester resin as I type :)

Now the smell, i love :), i know i should wear proper gear ( what is H&S now ) but hell i love it, gives a bad head when inside the boat thoguh now with no windows open after an hour of it.

Now the smell, i love smile.png, i know i should wear proper gear ( what is H&S now ) but hell i love it, gives a bad head when inside the boat thoguh now with no windows open after an hour of it.

My brother in law worked with GRP from the late '60's smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish. Never wore any safety gear. Recently he had a medical at the age of 70 and is all clear. Seems it must be good for you ;)