A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

wow great work - i think your enjoying this boat malarky a bit to much wink.png

labour of love i think what they call it ;) but yes i love it :)

Snakebite!

Man after my own heart, I too am what the Wurzel's described as a cider drinker cheers.gif

Pub in MK wouldn't serve my mate (must have been in our late twenties at the time) a pint of Snakebite, he asked for half of cider, half a lager and an empty pint glass smile.png barman wasn't happy but did see the futility of it all, big crowd of us so a few quid were going to go over the bar.

I take mine without the black, and you can keep that awful Strongbow dark!

My local back when i went in pubs woulnt sell snakbite either, we had to do the same, but on special occasions ( most saturday nights ) we got a few pints of the cloudy stuff ( scrumpy ) which they sold now and then, only pub in town aswel, now that got the night going. My wife likes cider, with orange .cordial as to black, but my brother likes the fruity ciders, i call it the lady`s cider, kopperburge or what ever you call

now my home brew nobody will touch lol, but me :) all mine. not made it for a few years though. just ;like to experiment now and then.

You would love the toplock pub on the L&L, they fo some of the best ciders i have come by from a bar, out the drum. in the fridge, cherry, strawberry, all good stuff. just have to be careful and hope you have good fenders for when you go bouncing off the canal banks after on way back to your home mooring lol.

Dammit - I forgot to ask. I was on a boat today, alongside was another that was having new steelwork and the old aluminium windows replaced with double glazed ones. I was going to see if the old ones were available

Richard

Dammit - I forgot to ask. I was on a boat today, alongside was another that was having new steelwork and the old aluminium windows replaced with double glazed ones. I was going to see if the old ones were available

Richard

Morning Richard, neevr mind, thanks for thinking of me, if you are going back i am still looking, i was bidding on a pair last night but they went more than i was wiling to pay at £82, never mind, i am watching these but cant decide if to try a bid on them or not

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231626269162?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just not square, could be being picky now, the aperture is 600x420 so will easy fit, i will see in aday or two then may have a bid.

Now then, back to the windows, we have managed to get the two back side windows done now, all resealed and looking good and fitted, no pics as they are boring as its been seen before, will get them taken when the rest are fitted. Although today after we went shopping i also picked up some filler/bridger for the hatch to be done. It is pay day after all so splash out to get more done. I got a large tub so as it will come in handy for when i find the odd hole in the hull to patch up, well there is three already and i made two of them by drilling the drain holes.

Well the other day i laminated the hatch in place with the usual 450grm CSM and a strip of 300grm woven bandage.

w0oBf4I.jpg

I did have pics of the way i cut it out but cant find them, not hard to understand as i just drawn around the hatch and used my grinder with a slitting disc and also a flap disc to finish off.

VonX1wg.jpg

I stuffed the filler in and around the lower edge to fill and beef up the housing, then jsut sanded back a bit before i use the finishign filler to get a better finish although it is not bead as is. from the bus stop lol.

I needed a radiused sanding block but didnt have one so i found an old fishing rod but which is corked so i cut a section off to make one, see never throw anythign out :) worked a treat.

QJJAMz7.jpg

udDW1U8.jpg

CHRoeL4.jpg

Sanded back ready for the finishing filler now, oh and then seal the hatch itself once primed.

CfBfYnn.jpg

auHjRmg.jpg

KODNLZD.jpg

So if its nice tomorrow i will finish this off and then at night rebuild the other two windows as fit during the week. I have the front two windows on there way and should be here by the end of the week, chuffed as they match the hatch design. Not sure if the side windows will look better not polished now and dull them somehow to have the same finish as the hatch, or polish the hatch to match.

we will see, i could leave them to there own way and dull in time.

Off to the shop for a bottle of Bow now, well deserved i think :)

Definitely well deserved

GRP is a technology I know next to nothing about. And I have just acquired a dingy that needs some repair work. What materials are you using?

Richard

Definitely well deserved

GRP is a technology I know next to nothing about. And I have just acquired a dingy that needs some repair work. What materials are you using?

Richard

i am using general Polyester resin and CSM, but if you do then its best to clean all repair/joints with acetone to help it get a better bond, it soften the old grp to help the new resin bond to it. he best is Epoxy resin but 3-4 times more expensive, the best though and will be alot better and stronger though. Not needed IMO aslong as you do a good joint etc with Polyester. I have used it on all my boats and its been fine. One big point is when you laminate make sure you get all the air out of the job so its transparent and not white patchs, that is air pockets which you dont want.

If it is just a small hole then car body work Bridger/filler will do fine, depends on how thick the patch will be, a few mm then i would use a CSM/woven patch.

Let me know and see pics of what you need doing and i will say what i would do, not an expert but i have done a fair bit to boat. Non have sank......yet lol.

thanks for the update - i look forward to seeing what you have been up to, - i would of thought the hinges would go towards the front of the boat so you could leave the lid up while moving? or do you flip it right open? in which case to the back is better.

Edited by the barnacle
  • Greenie 1

thanks for the update - i look forward to seeing what you have been up to, - i would of thought the hinges would go towards the front of the boat so you could leave the lid up while moving? or do you flip it right open? in which case to the back is better.

It can be fitted anyway around really, matter of choice, no certain way to fit the hatch, its facing the way it is as when i was fixing the housing in place i first fitted the hatch to it to help it keep level/square for a good seat for it when i seal it in place. and i tuned it around as the lower housing endge wasnt exactly level, It can be turned later to what ever way i want as its all symetrical.

It can be good either way for a crusier, forward opening to get a niceair flow thought the boat when under way etc etc.

It has to flip backwards so you can man the machine gun

Richard

Or to fish from inside the cabin lol.

Ours hinge at the back also. They are fine left open with the boat moving, except at sea of course!

Had an idea for the hacth, like i do, one day i mite give my head a rest.

Fit a small gas strut to the hatch and the other side a string to a small cleat, this way you can adjust the opening to what ever you want by tieing the hacth down on the gas strut. cheap easy for adjustable opening.

Think i will give it a go for the cost of a few quid.

cant help but faff about with things.

Had an idea for the hacth, like i do, one day i mite give my head a rest.

Fit a small gas strut to the hatch and the other side a string to a small cleat, this way you can adjust the opening to what ever you want by tieing the hacth down on the gas strut. cheap easy for adjustable opening.

Think i will give it a go for the cost of a few quid.

cant help but faff about with things.

Our hatch has an adjustable arm, similar to a gas strut but minus the gas. Set the height of the opening then twist a lock on the arm to hold it in place.

Will get a picture at the weekend, or from memory it is a Bomar hatch if you fancy a look at their website.

How far will it open Cal. I have one in the shed that locks but short at 4inch long.

You can open it almost back to 180 degrees, so that it almost sits back onto the cabin roof.

ETA: It is the voyager range on here.

http://www.cquip.com/shopsect_DH.php&page=Bomar%20Hatches

Edited by Naughty Cal

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since an update and i have got a bit done, not much though, and to be honest i am not all that happy with the finished window situation. Just the way they look thats all.

I would of had things done quicker if not for being stopped by folk folk gabbing to me whilst i was working on the boat. They show interest and all but by eck it holds me back, only trouble with having the boat at home where all can see.

To start we resealed all the side windows again and fitted them, all good, two leaks but that was easy sorted as it just needs a little silicone adding in the lower corners. Good stuff this time, a polymer type, only down side is it skins over fast, in minutes.

I got some windows for the front of ebay again, good deal a si sold one of the houdini hatchs and got the two front ones smile.png

For this i had to make new housings again as i did for th hatch, reason i had to do it this way is that the front is curved or i could of used a flat sheet of GRP.

Stages

foam sheet again i got free from a local suppliers, damaged off cut of 6x2 x 50mm

4Jgs8CC.jpg

cut to fit the opening

OmZoz9X.jpg

decide where to have the new window

vUd6lvB.jpg

as you can see here the curve needed and flat area for the window, these will not bend like the side windows did

mL1m7i8.jpg

then to sand back to the markings, carefully as the foam can break off if you dont clean the sand paper now and then.

HIN6h1m.jpg

nAFHBqy.jpg

trial fit

luZRk6k.jpg

i3fPmEc.jpg

cnVZyv9.jpg

Two layers of 450grm for now as once fitted there will be another three to fit inplace to get a good strong frame.

A3IY5DX.jpg

cut back to where the foam was, it leaves a nice mark to see where to cut back to, then fine it up when fitting in the old aperture.

xAHL0KN.jpg

I didnt get any pics of the next step but i used 4 wooden blocks around the frame edges to keep the housing in place so i can work from the inside, screwed to the cabin and housing that is. easy fill the hole later. Another bit i didnt get pics of was the filling on the outside but as said the same as the hatch was done.

The frame have been polished up the same as the side windows not that you can see it in the pics.

olqjb3G.jpg

MXtJ1gA.jpg

And today we got all windows sorted

XG6vcv3.jpg

plyhmHX.jpg

Now as said i am not overall happy with the looks of it, but it will have to do, mite look better once all painted and it will grow on me.

Another job of today was the inner mess, i borrowed a pressure washer of a mate to see if it would get all the old paint off, jjust to save the sanding, and it worked well. so much better than the sanding lark, got enough to do on the outside of the shell later in a week or two.

01TLaE0.jpg

Ta8Hog7.jpg

tRRjQVN.jpg

bucket full of paint, you should of seen the state of me, i bet i could of filled the tub if i got the paint off me lol.

WwYom84.jpg

After all this and cleaning the drive up, i got rid of the kit car, and doing 4 tip runs i was goosed so all i could do was have a faff underneath to look at a few damage areas, no big deal and easy to fix though, i will expect loads more to come.

SUM1xpW.jpg

SWttHvu.jpg

still needs a bit more as delaminated GRP is as bad as a rusty old reck, it gets bigger...and bigger......

Quick let on of the next jobs.

keel ( cant decide what to do with it )

bearers.

bulkhead

transom

rear deck

then finish the outside and paint up before the interior etc is started.

So then, this keel.

If you tried to jack the hull up in the middle of the keel, what would happen? Would the hull widen, the keel bend or would it all lift together as one piece?

That might tell you if it is worth doing something about it. I'm thinking a boat like this might be on and off trailers and maybe onto drying moorings. If so, that keel could be doing some work. A quick test may give you an idea if you need to do anything or if the hull is already strong enough

Richard

Edited by RLWP

plyhmHX.jpg

Now as said i am not overall happy with the looks of it, but it will have to do, mite look better once all painted and it will grow on me.

I think it's ok, and unique now. It has that slightly surprised look that you see following plastic surgery. Keep up the good work.

I think it's ok too. She's going to change appearance a few more times yet, like when you get the screen at the rear sorted, the boat painted and when she's in the water

The small windows have quite a happy look to them

Richard

Morning chaps, yep looks will change again and again on its way back to the water. Like i do i was chilling watching a film last night thinking on the boat, got up and sod it, do a job and do it right, we are off shopping soon and then back to shave these two lengths of 4x4 to shape and cascamite in place for the keel. Cant do any harm only good for it. It will help if i get smashed against a few rocks if i get to take her to sea smile.png

Another thought was to make a built in freshwater tank from ply and more GRP, make to the shape i need then, not sure on the lining of it yet, not sure if i need to treat the surface or if it can be left .Just like to make work for myself i think, well as you can see from this project.

Talking of making work for myself i have found my next project already, if only i could though, i would make this into a liveaboard for us.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271951103589?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Greenie 1