A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

I'm excited for you!

Looking forward to seeing the tanks in and the start of the interior rebuild.

I will keep posted, who needs Xmas hey :)

just please to be able to help - will be good to see the interior taking shape - what was the outcome with the steering wheel - did you find a replacement or refurb the old one?

Me to, i am looking forward to this winter to bget stuck in to the interior, cant decide on the colour finish yet though, as soon as the deck is finished i can get on with the rest, looks like the exterior will not be painted until next year, all weather dependant really.

I am refurbing the wheel bit by bit, not sure what wood it is but darn hard stuff, i need to make a few new parts for it though. I have cleaned the steering box up and managed to open it to clean it out and will be replacing the rusted bolts with new stainless bolts.

i will put a box of stainless bolts / nuts together so you have a range of lengths - always handy - i use 1000's so i have box's full of ones i will never use mostly 6mm thread x 12mm - 60mm in length with button heads.

Edited by the barnacle

Your to kind Steve thank you, I think the wheel is all that is left original from the boat so it will be good to something from it life time on the cut. Well besides the shell lol.

Another update on whats been done that you cant really see whats been done, but by eck i am goosed. All weekend we have been sanding and filling, there are more hole and chuncks out the boat i cant be bothered even guessing how many there are. And still more to do :)

The transom is nice and smooth now as that needed doing a sit was doing my head in seeing it holy and rough from past repairs. The other week i made the door opening side that had been cut out by a previous owner, also i made the lower lip on the door opening to prevent water getting into the cabin, Oh and fill around the floor in prep for laminating the deck asap before it gets to cold to do so.......i hope.

Today before i packed away T helped me get the cover over the frame in readiness for the winter fit out, I am unsure now if the boat will be even primed this year but no big deal a sit can all be primed and painted next year, dont want to rush the job now.

I will upload a few pics in a bit as they are on my phone and still cant download with the PC i have borrowed.

Pics

O h and i fettle the dint int eh port side, i have just pushed it out with e 3x2 and used a batten fixed inplace with the resin filler and then laminated over it to push it out as good as poss, i will leave for a day or so until i will fill the outside area to make good.

Hope it holds.

post-8285-0-35774200-1444584793_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-82708800-1444584824_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-99445700-1444584861_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-01502900-1444584898_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-08621500-1444584928_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-87791100-1444584956_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-33404300-1444584985_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-00818700-1444585215_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-28351200-1444585246_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-99104400-1444585284_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-69484500-1444585322_thumb.jpg

Nothing much to shout about but doing it bit by bit still, i got the canopy wired up for lighting and more sockets, bit of apain using just one socket for charging and power tools. Much better now, and can work into darkness :)

Today i drilled the drain holes in the engine well, these are two at 19mm in each corner for both the gas and fuel locker and a 32mm for the engine well itself. The 19mm holes will have a length of 15mm copper pipe fitted.sealed inplace, The holes are flush with the base of the lockers also for better drainage.

The next thing i was doing was finished the rear deck seating/lockers, i made it from timber but after getting halfway through i realised i didnt have enough of the correct size timber to carry on so that was that. oh well i moved onto the front bulkhead, not easy to get a good fit but after a faff with a sheet of 6mm ply i made a template before i waist a sheet of 18mm ply.

This will be laminated around the edge to help give good strength to the bow area and front deck.

Tommorrow i hope to get the front bulkhead cut and ready to laminate inplace this weekend when i get some MORE CSM and resin, cant believe i have gone threw 50sqm of CSM and 100kg of resin, i think thats it now though...i hope..

You doing a grand job, more power to your elbow.

Remember, if you find yourself near Northampton and want some matting give me a yell cheers.gif

Hi Gazza, elbow has been not to bad but finger OMG, cramps kicking in good time. I have my own run at work now and that up the North East so opposite direction now :(, although i am off down the stoke soon to collect the water tanks, cant wiat to egt them, sad as it is i am excited to get them as it starts the interior.

Hi Gazza, elbow has been not to bad but finger OMG, cramps kicking in good time. I have my own run at work now and that up the North East so opposite direction now :(, although i am off down the stoke soon to collect the water tanks, cant wiat to egt them, sad as it is i am excited to get them as it starts the interior.

Ha ha! I'm off into the paint dock for 4 weeks of topside painting, wooden screen overhaul and plywood replacement around the cockpit.

Nowhere near the sanding effort you have :)

Stoke? I've been to Trentham Gardens for the old dirt bike show and done the longest weekend of my life at the Show ground for the Classic Bike Show, never been back it scared me so much :)

Not sad at all, big lumps make a project advance at pace. Its the fiddley bits that seem to take forever!

Hi Gazza, elbow has been not to bad but finger OMG, cramps kicking in good time. I have my own run at work now and that up the North East so opposite direction now sad.png, although i am off down the stoke soon to collect the water tanks, cant wiat to egt them, sad as it is i am excited to get them as it starts the interior.

It isn't sad at all.

I for one can't wait to see the interior starting to take shape.

Ha ha! I'm off into the paint dock for 4 weeks of topside painting, wooden screen overhaul and plywood replacement around the cockpit.

Nowhere near the sanding effort you have smile.png

Stoke? I've been to Trentham Gardens for the old dirt bike show and done the longest weekend of my life at the Show ground for the Classic Bike Show, never been back it scared me so much smile.png

Not sad at all, big lumps make a project advance at pace. Its the fiddley bits that seem to take forever!

I wanted to get it painted before winter aswell, not now, it will have to be next year when the weather gets better, gutted a little but something to look forward to i guess. Wooden screen hey, i cant decide on wooden for this thing or GRP, long time off anyway.

Not sure where in Stoke i am going yet, well knowing me i have forgot, to much going on in my head to remember things nowadays lol.

It isn't sad at all.

I for one can't wait to see the interior starting to take shape.

Well, i would show the new bulkhead and cabin battery store/step if i could gets pics loaded, no laptop that i can down load the pics to and my phone has used up all it internet time until end of the month :( Going to get a Hudl2 soon, i have been using T`s and i like it for what i need. Bad bit is that more boat funds going though to get one.

I must say i am sooo clever, i just worked how to use T`s Hudl to get pics on now....i think, please bear with and i will load some pics on from that, once she has stopped playing bloody games on it that is lol.

I have just started to work on the head ( in the correct boaty name for the loo ) ok it looks big for a small boat, which infact it is at being 3` x 3` 4" but it is going to be a wet room and on all the cruiser i have had you can barely, one way to put it but, wipe your backside. In this head you can do that and more with ease....ooo errrr :)

We have worked on the interior plans so we can get a good size double that is offset to the port side with a bunk above to port above the double when needed for the third berth, only for the grandson/child so not a full 6`6" long, the galley to starboard as one unit.

I will draw a plan up of it to show give a better idea of the set out.

Just got from meeting Steve who made the tanks.Like I do I went straight out to try them out. I have to say I am over the moon with them. A perfect fit.

Have to sat a big thank you to you again Steve. Excellent fab skills. ;-)

The tanks will connected together top and bottom with 15mm speed fit fittings and top pipe will be T'd off up the corner for a vent pipe.

post-8285-0-48310200-1445070635_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-37902300-1445070661_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-94468900-1445070682_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-57336500-1445070710_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-65438200-1445070742_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-33626400-1445070772_thumb.jpg

Looking good, those tanks are ace, will keep her nicely trimmed with them joined by balance pipes.

I think you will need a braked trailer for the old girl when she's done.

I am going to build either a twin axle or Tri axle trailer for it made from a caravan chassis and extra axle to get the load weight up , a friend has offered me an old 5 ton trailer chassis and axles but on leafs, think it will ride a bit high for what i want though, got a little bit more to do yet though before the trailer is needed.

Today all i have done is faff about planning the set out, it has changed so man y time to get in what oven and sink i want, was going to be a Smev sink but to big, now a small round one, oven is going to be the Voyager 400 in stainless. fridge god knows lol, but it has its place. The head has been changed in size but still get in what we want that is a nice corner sink, loo and shower with a bit of storage space.

Next step is to clean it all out and laminate the port side ribs then insulate and ply line before i do the frame work.

it was nice to meet up with you even if it did look like a dodgy deal at dawn on a car park, the tanks look good - i cant believe how big the boat is now i can scale it to an item, much more room than i had thought, than i thought, if you need any more of the bolts let me know and i will get them in the post, steve

Hi Steve, always good to meet a fellow boater, as you say though even if it was in a car park at dawn exchanging goods lol. And dont forget the offer of the the boat for the help, very much appreciated :)

These boats are good for the way they are made for space, but the cabin is only 12 foot long, looks bigger in some pics, still though bigger than a lot of 20 foot boats, well designed/set out IMO.

Off to bed now, shattered and need a lye in i think watching Narrow boat in the morning AGAIN lol.,

Hi Rachel, it is Rachel right ? It has got a little smaller as cut the corner back but still plenty room.

Had a lye in today but off to do a bit more now. Found some great veneered sheets foer the interior fit out later :)

It is Rachael smile.png

I knew it was some thing like that, sorry, i spotted your name in another thread a while and i prefer to call folk by there real names than there forum name.

Oh and not skiveing, just having dinner, well late dinner and dont like to stop onc ei am going but T came out with food and brew :)

Bit tired this afternoon so just tried the strakes to see if they would snap when bent around the bow. I did it with a Creighton I had and it worked without steaming the timber.

Also done a little more sanding. What I want to do is at least get the top strakes on as inside I need to next insulate then line it but if I do I will not be able to get to the back fittings for the strake.

Hey Steve.. I used the bolts you gave me. Same as the ones i used on the windows so good match.

Oh and fixed the box eye block in. That will be good and solid when the resin filler is set and laminated over.

post-8285-0-08821400-1445275135_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-06591300-1445275181_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-70841200-1445275222_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-58214700-1445275297_thumb.jpg