A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Well just having a suasage butty and of to play out :), would be already but not allowed untill nearer 10am, cant upset the neighbours now :( if only they understood hey.

Yes Richard doolally enough to be playing out at crack of dawn if i could.:)

Not to rush a job i have done a wee bit and the rest tomorrow, which will be to laminate it in.

I didnt get any pics of the resin filler i used to laminate the ply to the transom skin, i am set of getting it done as resin sets in minutes, i just mixed a resin and powder filler to a concistancey it would just hold and not run. we added it to the top batten to bond to the sanded and cleaned corners, screwed up tight and then screwed tight back with battens until it just squeezed out.

This was before i started to faff with fitting the ply transom,.the perspex came away a treat, just soaked again and left for 20 mins and it peeled of easy.

PAvVFGP.jpg

MMmm i seem to of lost some pics, but i marked out for the engine well and cut out with the adaption i made for the drill, this time i used a cutting disc, worked a treat, also used it for sanding again, no choice as still no grinder.

BhdwMUe.jpg

eYflggx.jpg

cbFqCdd.jpg

A couple of cuts and a plunge and the ply was done.

0rAIczJ.jpg

tC7z7hh.jpg

In situ

IKIvH0w.jpg

To help it to pull tight i used battens screwed through, here you can see how nice and smooth and shiny the new GRP is with the reflection in the new GRP. :).

1P6A3qi.jpg

So all done and setting, its will not far be set after an hour but as said, no rush, tomorrow i will remove the battens and clean back the over sill and laminate the inside and resin the edges ready for the edging to go on, if i can i will use a plastic guttering for a mould to get a nice smooth, if not then i will see.

m5aDDoI.jpg

When I see the amount of work you get done (often after a days work) I am amazed.

I spent a couple of hours at work (a friends sea going tug needed some electrical repairs) no driving involved, I was collected and returned. I then did about a couple of hours work in my engine room installing some new cables for my new central heating system onto the cable trays.....but after that I was bushed and had to pack it in for the day. I know I'm a wrinkly and getting past it ........but you put me properly to shame. Well done to the pair of you, your enthusiasm and hard and very skilful work is a great example for the rest of us cheers.gif

Thank you all for the nice comments :), it really helps me keep my motivation up when folk appreciate reading the thread, I am told at times to give it a rest by T as it will still be there tomorrow, but she knows me to well, i get so fed up so quick, notv one for resting, but i promise to once it is done, plenty of cruising and fishing, with the odd pub crawl along the cut :).

I am actually surprised how many folk have popped in to see the thread as this is a NB forum,

Today i was all set for getting the transom laminated in place and trimmed and then get on with the engine well, but nope, still though happy with where i am with it, it got a back end now :) And by eck it is solid, i am sure it take a 30hp out board if i wanted to.

Sorry but the pics dont show much of what has been done as its mainly laminating, but a few steps of how i got there.

First thing this morning i removed the battens. And i was well chuffed with the strength eve with out the laminating to be done.

PNYLsRp.jpg

N0yajkK.jpg

The filler i used sets like so hard i couldnt get this excess i missed, no bother as its not in the way,

tauKmnP.jpg

The better side i cleaned back a little before it set.

BeYGYyG.jpg

Before laminating the inside of the transom i need to add a bit of a fillet into the top corner, this is for the CSM to follow better, CSM does not go well into sharp corners, i used again the filler to do with the help of a borrow of a spoon fromn the kitchen, yes T caught me aswell :( lol

k45zcwW.jpg

The filler is basic resin with the addition of very fine glass powder, all you do is add the powder untill you get the consistency you want.

4kiBmSZ.jpg

cSHgdNS.jpg

Krfl8PO.jpg

Then slap it on

tq10ZsS.jpg

Next step was to laminate, easy......until you are half way through and first your roller decides to fall apart, so you work a bit quicker with the brush, then that decides to loose all it bristles in the resin :(

No panic, shoot off down to the bargain shop for a new set, i should of kept with the ones i know are safe with resin, trouble is they are only 2.5inch briush`s, when on a job this big you need either a big brush 4 inch, or better a roller to apply the resin.

I got back with the small brush`s with the last two laminations to do, i did three over the whole area and 2 more along the edge to make sure.

As said cant see much in the pics but its there and setting.

SpUJKUh.jpg

I cleaned back and here you can see where i add the fillet for the CSM

1xKhEnH.jpg

PC keep playing up so here is the next step of the day.

While that was setting i was set to make the trim for the top. PcCDy31.jpg

The cross section is 4x3x2.5, i have been trying to find a length of guttering or down pipe but unable to find one of a size to use or cut down, I was then going to use the perspex and make ny own channel, nah to much faffing when its not really a structural part, here i need to blend the section in to the gunwale corners

XxByV5w.jpg

For this a chamfer back

EI3he6O.jpg

As far as i got was to make the sheet of GRP i need to get the lengths out, three 450grm for this, then they wil be beded down on more resin filler, you will see when i get back on it tommorrow

DXxcc6T.jpg

I am leaving this to set for 24hrs, or until i get home after work tomorrow, it will be good enough to cut into lengths then.

phOB2ME.jpg

As that was setting i wanted to look at the engine well and what i can do, yes i do a si got most the time. I still have the old engine well here and the idea was to use that, or what was left of it, very little actually. ELgMfe3.jpg

I decided by the time i had cut and shut it to fit, then patch up i mite aswell make a new one, maybe use the base still, that is a sfar as i got, was a bit tired and hungry and had to tale Zig out for a change.

Not all to sure if to use ply and laminate over or use GRP sheets to make the engine well, i will sleep on it like i do and decide later, either way it will do the job.

Once again thank you for the comments, and if anyone has any suggestions for me please say ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well would you believe it I have worked out how to get pic's on here off my phone. Still not got a lwith as I am doing all this on my phoneptop :(

So update on this wee project. It is now actually feeling like I am getting somewhere. please bear with me as I am doing all this on my phone.

The transom is finished and trimmed off now . Just made a grp sheet and fixed it in place with bridge filler.

Also the deckis cut resined and ready to fit one the engine well is done.. this week I am laminating the engine well ready to go in this weekend. Subject to weather.

Oh yes you can see that it has the rear bearers and side batteries in now.

Well would you believe it I have worked out how to get pic's on here off my phone. Still not got a lwith as I am doing all this on my phoneptop :(

So update on this wee project. It is now actually feeling like I am getting somewhere. please bear with me as I am doing all this on my phone.

The transom is finished and trimmed off now . Just made a grp sheet and fixed it in place with bridge filler.

Also the deckis cut resined and ready to fit one the engine well is done.. this week I am laminating the engine well ready to go in this weekend. Subject to weather.

Oh yes you can see that it has the rear bearers and side batteries in now.

post-8285-0-26934800-1443596585_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-44292400-1443596642_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-84368200-1443596669_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-22278600-1443596809_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-44888600-1443596909_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-83113100-1443596941_thumb.jpg

Does it feel like it is starting to come together now?

It sure looks like it is :cheers:

sure does. When the deck was in and bulkhead I sat there with a pint of Bow dreaming lol. Felt good to stand on the deck instead the bilge.

I have to say....again maybe, i dont know, but i dam chuffed with how it is coming on, i am on target at the minute as plans go :). It is near all sanded down now, as i did a bit of deck work T sanded more down so now just a gunwale to do and a few bits where the sander cant get in. We have managed with the cheap sander with the hook of hook and loop glued on the sander pad, in fact works better than original.

Therefore today, more sanding done, deck bonded and screwed down then the engine well bolted and bonded inplace, to fit teh engine well i used the resin filler to get a good fillet and then a layer of 450grm along with a 350grm woven and tissue top. it doesny have the gloss smooth finish but once it has had a bit of a sand back it will be fine, trust me ;)

I still need to do the top side of the engine well, i think i mite of said but there will be a seat either side of the eninge and a hardwood table in the middle above the engine which will be hinged for access to the engine.

Hey a bonus, i just sold my car :) so on the look out now for a trailer, infact a caravan chassis for now to modify to take it, i think i will need to make it into a Tri axle due to the weight of the boat and caravan chassis only taking 1600kg and the boat could weigh over 2000kg, It either that or i make a new one from scratch.

I will have to up;load pics by my phone again as this PC wont accept the pics from my phone :(

here are the Tanks i have made for the wee one - they are made from 6 / 9mm Polyprop with a baffle to help slow sloshing (if thats a word biggrin.png ) the tanks have a slope to the pipe side - i have put 15mm connectors on with a filler connector on the one which will have some flexable pipe on to a filler cap, i have put an access point on the top at the pipe end and used stainless screws to tighten it down, - hope you like them W - you have done alot of work on the boat so pleased to help you out

post-19413-0-65890100-1444319523_thumb.jpg

post-19413-0-25925800-1444319532_thumb.jpg

post-19413-0-41832400-1444319538_thumb.jpg

post-19413-0-37699600-1444319544_thumb.jpg

They are awsome Steve, well chuffed with them :) :), i think i will leave them on show with that welding, thats good stuff is that, I feel ready to start the interior now as its all being built around the tanks.

Great big thanks from me and T, cant wait to collect them and see them in thr real :)

Thank you Steve :),

They are awsome Steve, well chuffed with them smile.pngsmile.png, i think i will leave them on show with that welding, thats good stuff is that, I feel ready to start the interior now as its all being built around the tanks.

Great big thanks from me and T, cant wait to collect them and see them in thr real smile.png

Thank you Steve smile.png,

just please to be able to help - will be good to see the interior taking shape - what was the outcome with the steering wheel - did you find a replacement or refurb the old one?