A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

My brother in law worked with GRP from the late '60's smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish. Never wore any safety gear. Recently he had a medical at the age of 70 and is all clear. Seems it must be good for you wink.png

Ah so the resin cleans out the system, ill keep swigging the cider and sniff the resin then, mite then have the time to get my dream boat.

This is a fascinating rebuild. Well done. I'm so old that when I made my first canoe it wasn't fibreglass...it was lath and heavy duck canvas with varnished wooden bits. I remember the day when the plans arrived from a fellow called Percy Blandford.

Bit of a Coracle builder maybe then also? when i first set my eyes on one some 25+ years ago i was facinated and always said i would build one, bit of a back burner project maybe.

At long long last we have a floor fitted, and fitted good aswell i reckon, I used 18mm hardwood ply for it, aso the same for the transom which is to be shown later on in this post.

To get the shape of the rear section i just measured the width every 18 inch, as the sheet is a full 2440mm or eight foot it reached the last bearer with leaving 3 inch, or 75mm at the bulkhead, i dont mind this as i want a full air flow through the bilge as there is also a 4 inch gap in the bow. I am complicating things here with imperial and metric, sorry Dont know why i do that.

CxkGl2u.jpg

Then the front i used a long straight edge with a marker pen taped to it to get the curver as near as possible, then to find the curve i measured the width evey 6 inch and marked it down on the sheet, you can just see the line in the pic below. .

HKbadc2.jpg

With the help of my lacky :))) w eused a ally strip, a part we ddint use the the windows as were not needed, it help get the curve of the bow floor.

BcgdbZb.jpg

DlT6wNw.jpg

And hey presto the floor ready to be fettled by chamfering the edge to sit lower on the bearers and bring the edge closer to the hull for a better fit.

3xR63xa.jpg

We resined the floor all over to give a better water proof finish and longer lasting also.

z4ywRhX.jpg

I sanded all around the egde of the floor before i laid it in place, again for better holding of the new resin and wiped don with acetone.

2pikGHm.jpg

pcODeuW.jpg

Bilge hatch, hope i got this in the correct place lol

OXJcfik.jpg

At this stage i used the Purocol again to stick the floor to the bearers and then screwed it down to them, this aint going anywhere ;)

The EXPERIMENT :))) worked, i messed the other day with this to see how it would go, and its dam good stuff, i used some of the Cascamite and instead of using water to mix it i used the fibreglass resin to get a filler of what ever consistency i need, i sampled it on a few bits of wood to wood and also wood to fibreglass. Once i found that was good i used it as a filler for the damage to the hull, christ it sticks well, pig to sand back though, still though better than car body filler which is easy sand as its water proof unlike car filler.

I used it all around the egde of the floor to give a dam good hold for the floor and to help blend the floor to the hull for laminating.

814SPVz.jpg

qWc7AmO.jpg

That was left to set for a good few hours before the last stage and that was to laminate the edge of the floor in place with two laminations of 450grm CSM, as usual.

svnkBtT.jpg

MKGxwai.jpg

I havnt yet sampled how solid it feels but it felt good with just the floor on the bearers, this hull should be good know for the extra strength, i have done it this much incase we do get to take it to sea,

Now the transom, BIG job again as it needs to be stronger for if taken to sea therefore its made from two 18mm hardwood ply sheet laminated together with the Cascamite resin again, `poo to a blanket` i think they call it.

Its is not complete yet a si ran out of resin filler, will get some ASAP.

Sorry no detailed pics but i just cut the shape the first sheet with a good overlap around the old transom, well what left as it will be getting bolted to it along with resin filler and laminating.

Spread a nice layer all over the first sheet before we clamped and screwed it all together to hold it good and tight.

RfVgfA3.jpg

Here it is when dreid the day after, here you can see i chamfered the edge all around where it will meet the original transom, this is to get a smooth blend in for the grp to geta good hold and no sharp corners, CSM does not go around sharp corners.

Jeu8nZj.jpg

Rcl3i9O.jpg

The new transom is going to be resin/glued and screwed to the 3x2 beam before cutting out the engine gap, not a clue what that part is called but where the engine clamps to, and all laminated over in and out to make good. plus a few more bits though inbetween.

Kc08ERy.jpg

YJ4V29J.jpg

IyLmBky.jpg

I have to say this boat is killing me, but i love it, cant darn wait to get it on the canal :) eight months to go, as if hey :(

'W', although I will never restore a wood, fiberglass or steel boat, your thread is fascinating. I fail to understand how you find the time to keep us updated.

Your approach to fiberglass repairs is informative, I would have been uncertain about making such repairs but I have seen seen engineers cut a hole in a perfect glider fuselage then make a good, invisible repair.

On the way home from work as an eighteen year old my A35 suffered a gearbox failure so, at 6pm, I removed and dismantled the gearbox; later I spent every evening hour reconditioning and converting my 1959 Mini to 'rally spec.'; when I bought my first house I would work on it from 6pm to 10pm every weekday, 12 hour shifts and 24 call out otherwise.

You are fortunate to have 'T' to understand your compulsion, male need for a 'project', and to spend time with you helping with the work. Please, do not exhaust yourself aiming for a specific timescale! When the project is complete I hope to hear that 'W&T' are a a 'laid-back' couple, happily cruising the canals, inland waterways tideways and coastal waters.

Alan

'W', although I will never restore a wood, fiberglass or steel boat, your thread is fascinating. I fail to understand how you find the time to keep us updated.

Your approach to fiberglass repairs is informative, I would have been uncertain about making such repairs but I have seen seen engineers cut a hole in a perfect glider fuselage then make a good, invisible repair.

On the way home from work as an eighteen year old my A35 suffered a gearbox failure so, at 6pm, I removed and dismantled the gearbox; later I spent every evening hour reconditioning and converting my 1959 Mini to 'rally spec.'; when I bought my first house I would work on it from 6pm to 10pm every weekday, 12 hour shifts and 24 call out otherwise.

You are fortunate to have 'T' to understand your compulsion, male need for a 'project', and to spend time with you helping with the work. Please, do not exhaust yourself aiming for a specific timescale! When the project is complete I hope to hear that 'W&T' are a a 'laid-back' couple, happily cruising the canals, inland waterways tideways and coastal waters.

Alan

Hi Alan, when i get a project i get obsessed, even more with boats, much the same as you by the sounds of it, was actually looking into getting another mini to restore but i have had enough of cars for a while, maybe for the futre project once the boat is done and not being out on it chilling, i would rather be doing something than watching telly etc etc, i just love to play out :) I took this picture when we last down Devon, what a spot that place is, Watermouth Cove, if i can get to get this bot down there for a few weeks in the future i will be the happiest chap around.:))

TDXaGpe.jpg

It was taken for the slip at Watermouth Harbour next to the campsite, you can moor there for £100pw, which i dont think is bad, great fishing and very much sheltered. It help to keep a dream alive :)

Oh and the time to get it done is for our 10 year anniversary, a two week cruise to its mooring in Nantwich from up north, maybe from the L&L or Bridgewater. 20th May 2016, i dont mind a challenge, i am confident i will get it done just the finances to get it complete, had a wee set back recently but will do my best to complete it in time.

I am amazed at the work that you have done. I can't wait to see her finished and in the wet stuff.

Hey I have just been reading about you and your Boat, its really coming on now and looking great.

Awesome

Thanks guys, i am amazed myself its now got a floor in it, seemed such a long way off getting it done makes me want to get stuck in to fitting it out, a while off that though.

I dare say this boat will be far better then when new with all the work you are putting into it.

I was thinking the same. It's going to be a lot more rigid for a start with those bonded floor bearers

Probably didn't need to fill the keel icecream.gif

Richard

Ow do, i dont think it needed the keel either, but when i had the wood and very little cost to fit it why heck not, will be good for the keel/hull if its ever gets trailered about also.

Not much has been done, a few problems have turned up, first i was getting some sanding done and the sander decided to pack in, motor burned out, i thought it was the brushes so i replaced them but it is the motor, not even mine as i borrowed it off a mate so i need to replace it for him now, oh and them a few days ago i was getting on with the transom, griding back the edge and the grinder packed in sad.png

Now as it was i had just and the moment the grinder packed in, finished tapering the edge for the new transom so i could atleast do a bit more,and a bit is was. I ran out of resin to get the part i wanted to, just the outer skin.

A quicky of what i have done to the boat.

I used perspex again, as i had it lying around and trying to hold back on pennies, like £20 on a sheet of wood lol.

52wHGBA.jpg

wh0k8sD.jpg

I know it looks a bodge up but have a bit of faith it will be fine when done wink.png You can just see i have blued it, two coats is plenty.

2znsU0l.jpg

I laminated four of the 450grm again to give the 6mm thickness but around the edge another two, so six in all.

kOJfKWv.jpg

OPmivgJ.jpg

This i left overnight then came the time to pray i dont break the perspex as i want this for the other side, i can get heavy handed at times and break things, all went good though, a hose pipe and a wedge and wiggle and it came free easy.

CdcCD1h.jpg

S2mrxVN.jpg

trimmed back a little needs more when ready to do the rest and other side.

NVVx6A6.jpg

xaIAskf.jpg

NVVx6A6.jpg

I6DMyLv.jpg

Edited by W+T

Todays job, dont ask why but all i did wall cll a local joiners for a price for the rubbing strakes and i just said yes i will have them, and when funds have gone awol with tools breaking and car needs work done asap.

I am using Sapele again like my last boat i did. this wood is great to work with and look lovely when stained with Dutch oil, it is 60mmx20mm and bull nosed, i got the joiners to do it for me, saves me faffing with the router myself

No big deal in pics or info as its basic wooden bits drilled and well thats it.

dCqCkh8.jpg

I have got them drilled and sanded back, a good few judder marks on them and even small damage marks, i will go to the other joiners i did last time for the lower strakes. 15 miles away but good quality job done and service, not keen of being charged more than said.

na4somk.jpg

Well that was boring wasnt it, so here is a bit of fun, i am sad lol. In between thr last few updates i was told i need to move my stuff, well junk lol. I have made a tool trolly to keep my gear inplace, to be honest i am greatfull of it as i am sick of spending time looking for my tape measure, square, drills etc etc.

I used a few off cuts of the ply i got for the boat, i can get more when needed for it. And the fittings are from a caravan i ripped out once, the brass handle from a pile of boat bits i found in the shed.

XgREpit.jpg

iepmJsa.jpg

pCin4cx.jpg

oQFPANc.jpg

Now lets see if i remeber to put the tools away in the cabinet.....

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the latest update?

I can't believe you have not done anything on the boat in the last 11 days laugh.png

It has been a bad month. All i have been doing is sanding it down. T's car broke down so that had to be fixed which cost a bomb. Weather a bit rough.. and bloomoin tired from having to get up at 2am to take T to work.

Sanding is getting there though. You don't want pics do you lol

Yes.

OMG, your more obsessed than me now clapping.gif

I will get some later then, going to stock up on CSM and resin on way home after work, slight detour really, if the weather is as good as forecast this weekend i will get some of the fun bits done.

OMG, your more obsessed than me now clapping.gif

I will get some later then, going to stock up on CSM and resin on way home after work, slight detour really, if the weather is as good as forecast this weekend i will get some of the fun bits done.

Indeed.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article on the water.

Having sanded the bottom of our boat a couple of years back I don't ever plan on doing it again rolleyes.gif

Very sensible woman indeed lol, i am leaving the lower area of the hull until next year.

Very sensible woman indeed lol, i am leaving the lower area of the hull until next year.

Make sure you wear proper protective clothing and masks. Its nasty stuff antifoul dust.

Despite wearing protective gear we both felt a bit ill after scraping and sanding ours.

Just for you NC, pics of the near sanded plant pot, still havnt got a decent sander as no cash, been an expensive month for us, so i got some velcro and glued it on the old sander for better disc grip, infact holds better than any other i have had. I used 50mm strip from Dunelm and used contact adhesive to stick it down.

EJhH7fA.jpg

W0T5rDJ.jpg

Now a better update as this affy after work i started to do a bit more on the transom, it will be set tomorrow fully so then i can get on with the rest, as its is going to be a good weekend for weather i hope to get a lot done, maybe even upto the engine well being worked on.

I did the same as the other half here but the lower 8 inch of the vertical joint i made it real strong, not that it matter a great deal as the ply transom will be going in next.

Blued

CgUfYVU.jpg

IrKUgSH.jpg

And laminated

zTtVMyJ.jpg

Icje5SC.jpg

Oh yes, i am not sure if folk have been taking note but when fibreglassing you need a good cleaned finish to laminate to, and my grinder has packed in, so time to improvise, i have some grinder sanding disc here, and a drill, and a bolt with large washers and nut, just need to get the disc as central a sposs..rack of the eye will do and hey ho we have a HD sander

nBsCkhd.jpg

bX3jKWy.jpg

Easy sands back the GRP with 36g, mite even try it with a cutting disc. Dowt it will explode as a drill doesnt go as fast as a grinder, but fast enough to cut GRP.

so keep [poppingback this weekend to see more, i plan to get loads done........dam i said it PLAN, i dont make plans for a good reason.