It fell behind the oven

Pennie

Featured Posts

My friend didn't realised there wasn't a shelf at the back of the cupboard above the oven, where there is actually a gaping hole for air circulation, and now there is a tin of something trapped behind the oven.

How do I get it out?

A vacuum cleaner with just the open ended hose on it might pick it up if you can get it on a flat part of the tin. Or even a stick with a blob of powerful glue on the end like 'Araldite, now under the Evo label now'. Poke it down firmly onto the tin and leave it alone until the glue cures,'12 hours or so' and then nonchalantly extract it.

If its sardines then flood the boat with water until it reaches the tin, leave until the tin rusts away and the sardines should come swimmin out.

vacuum idea isn't too bad (well if I had a vacuum with a hose) or the flooding the boat idea ;-)

Magnet or the glue on a stick would do it. With a mirror and torch you might be able to see the tin and can guide the gluey stick onto it. Shine the torch down the hole whilst holding, at an angle above the mirror so you can see.

Magnet or the glue on a stick would do it. With a mirror and torch you might be able to see the tin and can guide the gluey stick onto it. Shine the torch down the hole whilst holding, at an angle above the mirror so you can see.

If there's a gap under the oven, then the tin could be catapulted up and out. By Sliding a stiff board through the gap and under the tin. Then gently lift the end of the board and place 'say' a thick pencil or thin rolling pin about halfway under the board. This will be the fulcrum of a see-saw. Now get ready with one hand poised over the cupboard hole ready to catch the tin and with your other fist bang down hard on the outer end of the board. This will catapult the tin high enough to catch it. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

My friend didn't realised there wasn't a shelf at the back of the cupboard above the oven, where there is actually a gaping hole for air circulation, and now there is a tin of something trapped behind the oven.

How do I get it out?

Why not just leave it there?

Or are you really hungry?

:)

MtB

If its sardines then flood the boat with water until it reaches the tin, leave until the tin rusts away and the sardines should come swimmin out.

clapping.gif

the vacume idea is a good one and the mirror, i wonder what else will be found.

So now Pennie has got a torch stuck behind the oven too...

Why not just leave it there?

Or are you really hungry?

:)

MtB

It probably gets pretty warm back there when the oven is on. Visions of the tin contents brewing up and splitting the tin...

Pennie, doesn't the oven pull out?

Remove the oven and get the tin out.

Also a good excuse to clean behind the oven.

Ah yes, now the gender stereotypes now come crashing in.

The bloke removes the oven for technical reasons, the woman want's to clean in there before he puts it back. He isn't bothered. As a gas technician how many hundreds of times have I encountered this scenario?!

icecream.gif

The bloke removes the oven for technical reasons, the woman want's to clean in there before he puts it back. He isn't bothered. As a gas technician how many hundreds of times have I encountered this scenario?!

icecream.gif

Wot we don't see don't grieve about but if a bloke pulls out oven then just gotta be cleaned..makes sense to remove gremlins

I removed a cooker in this really posh immaculate house occupied by a lovely old lady, very prim and proper.

There was a dead rat under it. I decided not to tell the lady, it would have fried her circuits :D

icecream.gif

I have left and said I will be back when its clean, but that was bad.

I knew I should have got one

actually wont it just stick to the back of the oven?

Dont buy a Sea Searcher, get a round one from Magnetman a member on here. Last week I had the chance of trying mine against a Sea Searcher side by side pulling on a mooring ring and it was far better.

Not much use to you now but every now and again Lidl/Aldi (collectively known a ADLE in our house) have a long, magnetic and flexible grabby stick thing with an LED light on the end. This has proven invaluable for such occasions. Wish we had got two (one for house one for boat) Best of luck.

it is a very hot oven around itself (not inside, wont cook sausages but will cook my cupboard contents) so leaving a tin behind it worries me so, hence wanting the tin out. Will try and pull it out if it will budge after tomorrow aka dooms day aka end of tenancy inspection

My usual technique for extracting items from confined spaces is to get a suitable length of wood to poke into the gap, depending on what access is available. It's got to be long enough, it helps if it's almost as wide as the gap so the object won't slip past it, and some kind of hook strongly attached to the end to fit around the object and pull it is usually a good idea.

Long handled grabby thing?

http://www.laundrytrolleychoice.co.uk/long-reach-grabber.html?utm_campaign=ShoppingFeed&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantcenter&utm_content=Health%20%3E%20Household%20%3E%20Reachers&gclid=COKW-J3nrcUCFcrpwgodj6sAQA

Most hardware stores do them for under a fiver. Very useful for picking dropped tools / washers etc out of the bilge too, and dropped maps out of the cut. Don't ask me how I know :S