Wolverton Disused Building

mark99

Featured Posts

Anyone know what the huge abandoned waterside factory on the offside at Wolverton used to be?

M

Wolverton Carriage Works - well worth Googling - some of my 'rellies' worked there in the early 1900's.

M

Edited by LEO

If you mean the very long brick buildings that once had glass roofs, it was the main railway carriage works for the London & Birmingham (I think), then the London & North Western, then the London Midland & Scottish Railways, and then finally British Railways.

If you mean a different building, please describe it!

Railway works i think. I'd love to get in there for a nosey around. I've done lots of Google searching to see if there are any photos around from those people who get access to abandoned buildings, but i found nothing. Google earth shows tracks in there still so I'm not sure if it is all completely disused.

Google earth shows tracks in there still so I'm not sure if it is all completely disused.

Certainly there are still active tracks in a small part. Until recently the Royal Train seemed to be housed somewhere here when not in use, and we have passed under it on more than one occasion, being shunted across the bride over canal by one of those ancient English Electric diesel shunters. Whether it is still kept there, though, I know not.

Check this thread for some recent internal pics about the works

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/wolverton-railway-works-buckinghamshire-april-2014.t89970

The guys from 28dayslater get into all sorts of places.

As an MK resident of many years, I found these photos absolutely fascinating - thanks for the link!

Been in all them buildings, including the ones now flats, and the other side that used to overlook the sports ground. Very dangerous because the roofs are glass, and its all smashed and hanging loose. The far northern end is still in use. I think they are listed buildings and can't be demolished, rightly so. A fine old bit of the industrial revolution. Left to rot unfortunately.

If you mean the very long brick buildings that once had glass roofs, it was the main railway carriage works for the London & Birmingham (I think), then the London & North Western, then the London Midland & Scottish Railways, and then finally British Railways.

If you mean a different building, please describe it!

Not just carriage works up to around mind 1800s locomotives were maintained and manufactured there. It was only LNWRs drive to centralise at Crewe that put a stop to locomotive activity at Wolverton. LNWR Bloomer class locos were built at Wolverton amongst others.