Oil Pressure Gauge.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

I once spoke to a Kiwi who berated Brits for "old fashioned" use of miles on our roads saying we should catch up with the real world and use kilometres.

He also complained that using miles made it appear to take so much longer to get from place to place blink.png

Pascals just has to be a unit defined by scientists rather than engineers. It is far too small for most real life applications. A bit like measuring things in hundreds of mm.

Indeed so - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit) it is a Newton per sq m.

The hectopascal (100 Pa) is now used in altimeters.

The Gigapascal is used eg in Young's modulus, a measure of stiffness eg diamond is 1200 GPa (or 1.2 Tera Pascals). A nice list of things not to get confused about here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus

I once spoke to a Kiwi who berated Brits for "old fashioned" use of miles on our roads saying we should catch up with the real world and use kilometres.

He also complained that using miles made it appear to take so much longer to get from place to place blink.png

I believe in NZ long journeys are calibrated by how much time it will take, rather than the distance.

Edited by jake_crew

Pascals just has to be a unit defined by scientists rather than engineers. It is far too small for most real life applications. A bit like measuring things in hundreds of mm.

It's used a lot in industry but as KPa - kilo pascals.

If the gauge is a standard round can gauge you could get a properly calibrated psi gauge off something like an MGB, MG Midget etc. Look on ebay.

I have a digital manometer offering gas pressure measurement in Pascals.

A propane regulator delivers gas at 37 milliBar, which is 3,700 Pascals. Or 0.37 kPa. Neither value is quite as natural to visualise or work with as Bar or milliBar. I know what 1 bar of water pressure feels like to hold back in a pipe with my thumb, for example.

Similarly air vent areas are now supposed to be measured in square millimetres. Results in huge values hard to visualise. An air vent of 20 square inches is easy to visualise, but not one of 12,903.2 square millimetres.

MtB