Painting Gas Locker

Rob-M

Featured Posts

One of our BSS inspectors failed us because if the securing chain were to be left unfastened, the bottle could move and damage the regulator or changeover switch. He recommended fitting a wooden bracket to protect them, which we did. Four years later a different inspector failed us for "storing an inflammable wooden bracket in the gas locker"

20 years later, the floor was still sound bit the sides had gone rusty where they meet the floor. We have just had them welded up, it wasn't easy to find someone to do the job and it wasn't cheap. Let's hope we'll be OK for a few years now.

. Four years later a different inspector failed us for "storing an inflammable wooden bracket in the gas locker"

I don't follow the reasoning for that.

Wooden lockers must be lined with GRP or similar to ensure gas tightness.

There must be no source of ignition near the bottles or in the locker.

The presence of timber is not a source of ignition.

Perhaps Robb at BSS could clarify.

I don't follow the reasoning for that.

Wooden lockers must be lined with GRP or similar to ensure gas tightness.

There must be no source of ignition near the bottles or in the locker.

The presence of timber is not a source of ignition.

Perhaps Robb at BSS could clarify.

Yes but no but if a boy scout came along and rubbed two pieces of timber together?? A potential ignition source?

It depends on the inspector. A highly regarded marine engineer suggested that a removable wood barrier could both retain the gas bottles and allow the remaining space to be used for storage.

I have space in my gas locker for two 13Kg propane bottles and the anchor/chain/etc. Some sources claim that the anchor, were it to fall against a gas bottle, could casue a spark. Leo's arrangement seems to almost allow other items to be stored in the gas locker.

Alan

This is ALWAYS the best plan for a gas locker.

One I did recently, the base of the locker was like rust soup, probably half an inch deep with the sides at the bottom having thick plates coming off.

20150322_160536_zpsgojzg6bc.jpg

It doesn't matter how clean it is afterwards, there is always someone that finds a way in.

20150324_154622_zpsla3trflt.jpg

It looks like the rust scale has just been cleaned and painted over rather than properly removed. It's obviously a lot better than it was but that rust scale will all come off with a chipping hammer (or a gas bottle being dropped on it).

I removed rust scale from the hulls of two 90ft rivetted steel steam boats when I worked in a boat yard on the Thames. We weren't allowed to paint over it (I did try! tongue.png )

Edited by blackrose

One of our BSS inspectors failed us because if the securing chain were to be left unfastened, the bottle could move and damage the regulator or changeover switch. He recommended fitting a wooden bracket to protect them, which we did. Four years later a different inspector failed us for "storing an inflammable wooden bracket in the gas locker"

20 years later, the floor was still sound bit the sides had gone rusty where they meet the floor. We have just had them welded up, it wasn't easy to find someone to do the job and it wasn't cheap. Let's hope we'll be OK for a few years now.

Not sure about that.

L

It looks like the rust scale has just been cleaned and painted over rather than removed. It's obviously a lot better than it was but that rust scale will all come off with a chipping hammer.

You cheeky blinder.

The rust was removed, locker dried out, then gone over with hammer, chisel and scraper, wire wheel....until nothing more would come up. What is left is steel, treated with vactan, then danboline.

You cheeky blinder.

The rust was removed, locker dried out, then gone over with hammer, chisel and scraper, wire wheel....until nothing more would come up. What is left is steel, treated with vactan, then danboline.

I must confess that my reaction to the pic was that it looks as though there's still some scale there, but was too polite to say...

Edited by Timleech

As a very newly qualified BSS safety examiner, I can tell you anything in the gas locker other than bottles and gas related equipment, regulator, pipes etc. is a fail.

7.3.3 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could block the drain

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG.

The BSS regard just about anything in there as having potential to damage the pipes/regulators etc.

Basically I would explain people why & ask them to empty the gas locker of anything and then I could pass it. What they do after I have gone is up to them.

As a very newly qualified BSS safety examiner, I can tell you anything in the gas locker other than bottles and gas related equipment, regulator, pipes etc. is a fail.

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG.

The BSS regard just about anything in there as having potential to damage the pipes/regulators etc.

Basically I would explain people why & ask them to empty the gas locker of anything and then I could pass it. What they do after I have gone is up to them.

I sit gas bottles on strips of hardwood to avoid damaging the paint on the base of the gas locker. I would not want the base to go rusty, which could eventually lead to a BSS failure. I make sure that they cannot obstruct the drainage/ventilation of the locker. No BSS examiner has issued a failure.

The Genny and stuff don't block the drains. The gas locker seemed the best place to store the Genny as it has the drains, no where else on the boat seemed suitable.

I agree with Emerald Fox that I do have to remove all the contents to change a bottle.

I would suggest that you check BSS on the rules about petrol & petrol generators on narrow boats. A niggle is telling me that a BSS will be refused if either is aboard at the time of the inspection.

I sit gas bottles on strips of hardwood to avoid damaging the paint on the base of the gas locker. I would not want the base to go rusty, which could eventually lead to a BSS failure. I make sure that they cannot obstruct the drainage/ventilation of the locker. No BSS examiner has issued a failure.

And it wouldn't be a failure. It's not unsecured stuff that could bang around and cause damage and it can't block the drains. Perhaps I should have said unsecured. Things like ropes, fuel cans, paint pots etc are a no no. Supports for bottles are OK.

"As a very newly qualified BSS safety examiner, I can tell you anything in the gas locker other than bottles and gas related equipment, regulator, pipes etc. is a fail." (Galeomma)

Looks like I stand corrected. Snigger ;)

"Things like ropes, fuel cans, paint pots etc are a no no." (Galeomma)

Oops - what about the 2 ropes (thick sisal) we have on the floor, these are so the gas bottles are lifted off the floor a tad, for drainage and a smooth ride? Surely these would be in the same class as wooden slats or rubber mats (which are both flammable)?

Looks like that spider has gone on to fame & glory, haha! Did you squash it?

I would suggest that you check BSS on the rules about petrol & petrol generators on narrow boats. A niggle is telling me that a BSS will be refused if either is aboard at the time of the inspection.

I believe they would need to be in a locker with similar spec to a gas locker. Just not the same locker as the gas ;)

Tim

Oops - what about the 2 ropes (thick sisal) we have on the floor, these are so the gas bottles are lifted off the floor a tad, for drainage and a smooth ride? Surely these would be in the same class as wooden slats or rubber mats (which are both flammable)?

I would look at it that if the rope was tied into a 'mat' and couldn't unravel it would be OK. If it could move/unravel or was loose and could potentially cover the drain holes, a fail.

90% of the BSS rules are pretty well cut and dried. A pass or a fail with no room for flexibility. We were told that a petrol generator on a boat, unless it is stored 1 meter away from any opening into the boat is a fail. (or in it's own gas type locker). However if it is on the towpath when we do our examination or even if it is connected up and running it is compliant. The rules only apply to storage.

Hmm... I'll take the risk and if BSS chappie moans about the ropes I'll pull them out in a jiffy. I wouldn't think they'd move much with 26kg of bottles standing on them. Yes, they're unravelled to give 'lift/bounce' and make sure the water does drain out.

You cheeky blinder.

I'm not being cheeky, I'm just not as polite as Tim.

I can clearly see rust scale, but if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

If you go over hard rust scale with a wire wheel it will come up looking like good steel. I sometimes used to do this in hard to reach areas, but then my boss would spot it and chip a bit off with a chipping hammer and I'd get a bollocking! laugh.png

Edited by blackrose

And it wouldn't be a failure. It's not unsecured stuff that could bang around and cause damage and it can't block the drains. Perhaps I should have said unsecured. Things like ropes, fuel cans, paint pots etc are a no no. Supports for bottles are OK.

That's been my understanding. Some hire companies put the hose in the gas locker. I mention the rules during the handover and the hose is somewhere else when I return the boat. I cannot really see much scope for it causing a problem but if the hose is stored in the gas locker, other things could follow.

May I politely suggest that if your chosen inspector is a jobsworth who doesn't understand the technology behind the rules and the spirit and intention of the rules, then never use him again.

However if he gives constructive and practical advice and explains what you need to do to allow him to issue a pass without a return visit, then recommend him to your neighbours.

Common sense should prevail, as in all things.

Those two requirements have been part of the BSS for at least ten years. The only thing that has changed is the pedantic aproach to the requirements by some more recently trained Examiner.

Edited by David Schweizer

I would look at it that if the rope was tied into a 'mat' and couldn't unravel it would be OK. If it could move/unravel or was loose and could potentially cover the drain holes, a fail.

90% of the BSS rules are pretty well cut and dried. A pass or a fail with no room for flexibility. We were told that a petrol generator on a boat, unless it is stored 1 meter away from any opening into the boat is a fail. (or in it's own gas type locker). However if it is on the towpath when we do our examination or even if it is connected up and running it is compliant. The rules only apply to storage.

Maybe the boat should be passed and the owner failed. There seems little point in having the BSS if owners are daft enough to do things that could endanger the life of themselves and others. I've even heard of someone borrowing a set of fire extinguishers for the duration of the test.

I thought the gas locker now had to be empty for the BSS, so the base could be examined.

The pile of useful, come in handy, one day on the bank beside the boat, didn't matter.

Bod

I thought the gas locker now had to be empty for the BSS, so the base could be examined.

The pile of useful, come in handy, one day on the bank beside the boat, didn't matter.

Bod

7.2.1 of the BSS states tha "prior to checking the condition of cylinder lockers and housings examiners must ensure all loose portable items are removed" So the answer is probably yes, although apparently not all examiners require the cyliders to be removed.