how do you deal with the despair at times with boat ownership?

lexicon

Featured Posts

Ah is that one of your problems?

I have two props on the boat.

One in the front locker and one at the back. Currently neither is capable of turning.

My batteries are sooo shot that charging a mobile overnight takes them from 100 to 80%

Possibly related to above, my water pump now struggles so gas water heater doesn't work :(

I could go on but you get the gist lol

One in the front locker and one at the back. Currently neither is capable of turning.

My batteries are sooo shot that charging a mobile overnight takes them from 100 to 80%

Possibly related to above, my water pump now struggles so gas water heater doesn't work :(

I could go on but you get the gist lol

Wish I could help but I am useless at all that stuff but plenty on here can help

I had to have my engine rebuilt a couple of years back, cost a fortune which, being a poor struggling musician I didn't have (and it still wasn't right afterwards), scraped it together and half an hour down the canal after it had been fettled (three months late, but there you go) the clutch went and I ground to a halt again with another two grand to find... but I have to set against that the fact that waking up on a boat in the morning and the chance to cruise round the place is worth a few thousand of anyone's money, whether they've got it or not. Money comes and goes (it's only a medium of exchange after all, not really worth anything in itself), but what you get from being on a boat goes on for ever.

• Greenie 1

Why won't the one at the back go round Lex?

Is it a gearbox problem, or engine?

Make and model?

Hi Lexicon

Talk with other boat owners where you are moored. It's amazing how helpful everyone can be. Everyone has various abilities to offer, and most of us love to help.

I've received a lot generosity from boaters when in need. I have reciprocated many times with tools, advice and assistance.

I trained as a designer.

I remember being told:

There's no such thing as can't.

There's always a creative solution.

Sometimes you need to turn away from the problem to find it.

Sometimes solutions come from the most unexpected quarters.

When in real difficulty, work on the bits you CAN do something about.

• Greenie 1

Why won't the one at the back go round Lex?

Is it a gearbox problem, or engine?

Make and model?

Hi mike

Engine has damaged bores and other issues. So has been out being rebuilt for a couple of months.

That is taking all my available resources so no money to work on any other jobs like batteries. And water heater jobs.

Hopefully given time I can start to get some headway again.

Just dreading another summer moored up not enjoying the boat with any actual boating

How do you deal with the despair that comes with boat ownership at times? When nothing works/everything breaks at the same time. And nothing every works out the easy way lol?

It is annoying when things go wrong but there are some things which one might call a problem and others wouldn't. Obviously a broken engine needs fixing but do you have to polish your brass every week? Also, if you live in a shell there is less to go wrong. Our boat isn't a shell but it is pretty basic.

Often a problem can be turned into an opportunity to lean something and make friends. Well that's my attempt to put a positive spin on the subject.

Hi mike

Engine has damaged bores and other issues. So has been out being rebuilt for a couple of months.

That is taking all my available resources so no money to work on any other jobs like batteries. And water heater jobs.

Hopefully given time I can start to get some headway again.

Just dreading another summer moored up not enjoying the boat with any actual boating

Hmmmm sometimes its easier and far cheaper to just buy another (second hand) engine the same and drop it in. Is it a BMC by any chance?

If not, say what it is and someone might pop up here with one the same lying around!

MtB

I trained as a designer.

I remember being told:

There's no such thing as can't.

There's always a creative solution.

Sometimes you need to turn away from the problem to find it.

Sometimes solutions come from the most unexpected quarters.

When in real difficulty, work on the bits you CAN do something about.

A great philosophy, and one that I've always tried to adopt. I hate the word can't.

I have a couple or 3 batteries that should be better than that, was going to the scrappie with them could swap them for yours if thats a help.

Donuts for me.

Last time had a problem, daughter bought a bag of dunkin mini ones.

Had to eat the lot didn't I , problem was still there throughout though.

But did get fixed

Col

Edited by bigcol