"Thing to store a laptop on a wall" required.

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I have the flat side of a wall that I would like to fit a couple of brackets onto, to store my laptop in when it is not in use. You would think that this would be simples to find offered for sale, but no.

The nearest approximation of what I have found on Ebay is this:

laptop%20mount%201_zpszgmhf2r6.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131346692040?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Which does the job and sort of clarifies visually how simple the thing I need actually is, but is hella pricey for what it is, and also, while I get that it is is supposed to look rustic and artistically erm, unfinished or something, to me it just looks a bit rough and not worth that much cash.

I was thinking more along the lines of a couple of plain metal brackets or U-shapes mounted on the wall that I could slot my laptop into, but I am either unaware of the correct search terms to use to find them, or no such thing exists.

Ideas? Just to be clear, it only needs to hold the closed, flat laptop and keep it flush to the wall, I don't mean something I can use the laptop on.

Also, the wall I would mount it on is a straight vertical, it's not a sloped cabin wall!

How thick is the laptop? For example if its 20mm thick, then you could use 3 pieces of 12mm ply to make something similar to the pic, with 2 pieces sandwiched to make the base and a third larger piece to support the rest of it. Personally I lean mine against the wall at floor level, or leave it on the table, when not in use.

Another way to do it would be a sheet of acrylic, suitably shaped and bent through 180deg to form the base.

I would not leave my laptop on the floor for any reason, and currently leave it on a worksurface, but the whole point of seeking a mount of some sort is to free up this space!

I am sure there must be some kind of simple pair of brackets or something that can be got to do it with if one knows what they might be called or what form they would take.

I don't have the tools or skills for even basic woodworking, but can almost certainly manage to screw brackets to the wall...

Edited by Starcoaster

For cheap and cheerful and with approx 10 mins of installation time, how about 4 of these... ? http://www.screwfix.com/p/corner-braces-zinc-plated-76-5-x-76-5-x-16-5mm-pack-of-10/12488

The last 1/2" or so of one of the legs needs to be bent "in" to hold the computer ( adjust to suit) - two for the bottom and one on each side near the top of the laptop would do it

You could wrap them first in e.g. a colour of your choice insulation tape to cover up the screwholes and even incorporate some self-adhesive foam strip to protect the laptop further from risk of scratches...

Cost will be about a couple of pounds - if not in the "junk box"

Nick smile.png

Not sure what style or look you've got going on your boat Starry, but what about something along the lines of this...

EZlargeSports.gif

sized accordingly of course smile.png

Dave picked up something similar at Wilko's for a couple of pounds and uses it in the utility room to keep his logs / maps and such in. I think it would be big enough for my lap top if I were to put it in length wise

ETA - the last bit

Edited by Bettie Boo

Not sure what style or look you've got going on your boat Starry, but what about something along the lines of this...

EZlargeSports.gif

sized accordingly of course smile.png

She is never going to squeeze a laptop in there with all that lot!

What is it though Betty! What would I search for/ask for? It does look like it's a bit flimsy anyway, and I'm not sure how it would fasten to the wall.

Good grief. What happened to British ingenuity?

Make it, as suggested by others.

I'll not be making my own. What happened to people actually either making only helpful comments or keeping schtum? I really hate when you make a fairly precise post and/or reply to your post explaining what is needed and what won't work, only for randomers to tell you that you really want something else/why can't you just do this/why don't you make something you have already said you can't do?

I assume that your special skills also include inserting a catheter into the rolling vein of a cat, performing radiography, monitoring general anesthesia and being covered in every bodily fluid known to man and some not as yet identified without even coming close to vomiting?

No?

Why-ever not?

Whatever happened to British ingenuity?

David Mack! That looks like it might be a winner. I did think magazine racks might be a goer, but I couldn't find any that looked like that!

Thank you everyone. :D Well, almost everyone...

Edited by Starcoaster

David Mack! That looks like it might be a winner. I did think magazine racks might be a goer, but I couldn't find any that looked like that!

Google image and Ebay searches for "wall mounted magazine rack".

I had never realised before just how large the market for combined magazine rack/loo roll holders is.

Shows you where most of them get fitted!

traditional-magazine-racks.jpgBathroom-Magazine-Racks.jpeg

Edited by David Mack

What is it though Betty! What would I search for/ask for? It does look like it's a bit flimsy anyway, and I'm not sure how it would fasten to the wall.

I'll not be making my own. What happened to people actually either making only helpful comments or keeping schtum? I really hate when you make a fairly precise post and/or reply to your post explaining what is needed and what won't work, only for randomers to tell you that you really want something else/why can't you just do this/why don't you make something you have already said you can't do?

**Hear Hear

I assume that your special skills also include inserting a catheter into the rolling vein of a cat, performing radiography, monitoring general anesthesia and being covered in every bodily fluid known to man and some not as yet identified without even coming close to vomiting?

No?

Why-ever not?

**Sometimes - I really glad to be able to claim to be Canadian - if being British means enduring numerous species of animals spewing on me - just remember I'm Canadian icecream.gif

Thank you everyone. biggrin.png Well, almost everyone...

Just to be clear the ^^^ bold comments are mine not Starry's

Now that's a good question, which I don't have the answer to...I threw the packaging away months ago sorry - I just did a search on line for a pic of something similar by typing in "storage solutions using netting"

It's held up for 4 screw type thingies he screwed into the wall then you put the 4 elasticated loops over the screws (they have a little rubber ring over them) Again, sorry for the lack of proper technical terms.

Mind you I actually like the look of what David Mack suggested much better then my suggestion - especially if it's going somewhere where it will be on view. My suggestion was simply cost effective and easy to install :)

No?

Why-ever not?

Thank you everyone. biggrin.png Well, almost everyone...

I despair of modern Britain. If, as you appear to be claiming, you can put a catheter into the rolling vein of a cat, you can certainly knock up a simple holder for a laptop. Or is that a man's job?

The fact is that living on a boat requires you to do one of three things:

1 Spend a lot of money getting other people to do things that you could easily do yourself.

2 Flutter your eyelashes and get other people (men) to do things for you by appealing to their chivalrous side.

3 Learn how to do relatively simple things yourself.

• Greenie 1

I despair of modern Britain. If, as you appear to be claiming, you can put a catheter into the rolling vein of a cat, you can certainly knock up a simple holder for a laptop. Or is that a man's job?

The fact is that living on a boat requires you to do one of three things:

1 Spend a lot of money getting other people to do things that you could easily do yourself.

2 Flutter your eyelashes and get other people (men) to do things for you by appealing to their chivalrous side.

3 Learn how to do relatively simple things yourself.

How or why do you think it's ok to take an innocuous thread about laptop storage and turn it into a platform for your own misery?

next time, before you get your panties in a wad about this, just say to yourself slowly... It's just a storage solution...

How or why do you think it's ok to take an innocuous thread about laptop storage and turn it into a platform for your own misery?

next time, before you get your panties in a wad about this, just say to yourself slowly... It's just a storage solution...

Calm down, old chap.

It's just a storage solution. biggrin.png

love the toilet roll holders and also some of the lap top suggestions..brill ideas.

Im no D-I-Y expert but happily botch up jobs when ave a go but if I want something to be right I ask for advice..thats wot this place for.

I would not flutter my eyelashes..that sounds demeaning to women.

If I want help I ask.

We all have our own area of expertise whats easy for one to make good job of tis impossible for another.

You may have tried this already, but if you google 'plew plew' they have another good idea - it's the last one on their products page.(have not managed to do a link on my iPad yet!!)

eta - now on the grownup machine

http://www.plewplew.com/uk/products

Edited by Mike Tee

We have two of these. They are IKEA's own. Plastic and sturdy. They have a plastic bar which has little screws and then the saddle bag (our name!) hooks over the bar. They are hugely useful and a laptop's cables, mouse, etc. all drop in. We got them a couple of years ago and have used them constantly since. For us they go either side of a little wooden shelf unit. IMG_20150403_080358.jpg