CRT dont want skilled equipped volunteers, heres the proof

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

It is intended that CRT will manage the waterway once restored. However it came as a shock to CRT staff that people were actually rebuilding a canal with 30 locks when recently shown the project, this gives you a clue to how little they know outside of the offices!

It is intended that CRT will manage the waterway once restored. However it came as a shock to CRT staff that people were actually rebuilding a canal with 30 locks when recently shown the project, this gives you a clue to how little they know outside of the offices!

It's down to individuals. Not all staff are aware of everything and never will be, in CRT or other organisation. I was at a recent meeting where LHRCT did an update and CRT was represented there.

Ever since I attended a talk by Eric Wood on the plans to restore the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals I have been amazed by the ambition and dedication of those involved in this mammoth project.

As I promised I am reporting on the meeting I had with Richard Parry and West Midlands manager Ian Lane.

We went through my volunteering history which Richard was aware of, it seems I am the longest serving volunteer with BW/CRT!! That aside I explained how we operate with "Barnet" and the type of crew we have and what they want to do.

I did get the impression that these guys don't really understand exactly how much volunteering can input and had to use the Severn Valley Railway as a prime example they should be looking at.

They came up with a few suggestions which involved the usual shrub clearance etc and I explained you cannot get people enthused to go out with hand tools and do that sort of work.

I spoke about carrying Piling, Lock gates etc and they are going to look into that.

I resurrected the idea of the 1970 "Keep the channel clear campaign" which could be redone using the boat loaded, also combined with this I suggested they try again as in 2002 to attract some waterborne freight, the two ideas could be interlaced, a campaign of keeping clear the channel with a demonstration load, I have since emailed press cuttings from 1970 to Richard.

I discussed other ideas too which are out of the scope of this thread. Overall it seemed a friendly meeting and I do hope that it brings some work our way, I am however leaving Barnet on the market as I do have so reservations that "Will anything actually happen?".

• Greenie 1

As I promised I am reporting on the meeting I had with Richard Parry and West Midlands manager Ian Lane.

We went through my volunteering history which Richard was aware of, it seems I am the longest serving volunteer with BW/CRT!! That aside I explained how we operate with "Barnet" and the type of crew we have and what they want to do.

I did get the impression that these guys don't really understand exactly how much volunteering can input and had to use the Severn Valley Railway as a prime example they should be looking at.

They came up with a few suggestions which involved the usual shrub clearance etc and I explained you cannot get people enthused to go out with hand tools and do that sort of work.

I spoke about carrying Piling, Lock gates etc and they are going to look into that.

I resurrected the idea of the 1970 "Keep the channel clear campaign" which could be redone using the boat loaded, also combined with this I suggested they try again as in 2002 to attract some waterborne freight, the two ideas could be interlaced, a campaign of keeping clear the channel with a demonstration load, I have since emailed press cuttings from 1970 to Richard.

I discussed other ideas too which are out of the scope of this thread. Overall it seemed a friendly meeting and I do hope that it brings some work our way, I am however leaving Barnet on the market as I do have so reservations that "Will anything actually happen?".

I hope the meeting now leads to more use of Barnet and the team.

Either way, well done for making the effort and to try and make CRT see a wider view of the value and scope of work volunteers can do.

Could Barnet be used as a free trial for companies being targeted for waterborne freight. What about using a loaded Barnet to see which winding holes are fit for purpose.

This is something we have suggested to them as we did it in 2002. Winding holes were seldom used by loaded boats but must be clear for full length boats to turn.

We have finally had an offer of work from CRT for "Barnet". Some ratification is needed and is being discussed but at least there seems some way forward. Our problem now will be finding people with loaded boat experience as sadly two of our crew that had that have passed on.

On the basis of what is said we may be able to regenerate the "Keep the channel clear campaign" run in 1970.

Here is the body of the email sent yesterday:

<<

Apr 7 at 7:42 PM
Hello Laurence, Good to meet up last week and as promised please find below details of my offer to you which are all tasks that would bring a real benefit to the waterway and hopefully raise people's confidence in using the northern BCN. I really hope that they are of interest but would welcome your thoughts.

My proposal would be to undertake quarterly trips around the northern BCN, with a laden Barnet to:

1) Ensure the channel is used and kept free from obstructions/potential silting, including winding holes,
2) Ensure all locks are ready for use, with no fouled gates, etc..
3) Undertake routine Planned Preventative Maintenance in accordance with the attached document,
4) Provide the boat for regular inspections with our engineering team. Each length has to be boated at least once per year as part of our asset management standards.
5) Undertake minor offside tree works.

Once these basics are established we can then use your team to undertake other works required within the route or even more maintenance on other assets. This may be small localised jobs or larger tasks if Dean and his team can provide these type of works.

As I have stated previously, the above are tasks that we either already do or would love to do, so your team would clearly be adding value and a really welcomed service to hopefully increase the reliability of the northern BCN and people's confidence and usage of it.

I hope this is of interest and please let me know if you would like to pursue these further so we can work out the detail and phasing's of the work.

Kind regards
Ian Lane
Waterway Manager
West Midlands Waterway
T: 01827 252054
E: ian.lane@canalrivertrust.org.uk >>
Comments appreciated folks.
Edited by Laurence Hogg

Y

If your happy with the type of work required, then it would seem to be a "win win" situation.

Yes we are happy they have responded if not very late. our problem now is we have lost some of our experienced crew with two deaths and also I have serious leg problems so we need new experienced crew who are used to a fully laden boat. Edited by Laurence Hogg

Y

Yes we are happy they have responded if not very late. our problem now is we have lost some of our experienced crew with two deaths and also I have serious leg problems so we need new experienced crew who are used to a fully laden boat.

Laurance it just seems one problem after another maybe best to just sell Barnet and remember the good old days. I am pleased Ian has stepped up to the plate

Fantastic news about the offer Laurence, something for you to get your teeth into. Would it be possible to get grants to enable you to teach people how to operate loaded boats at the same time. Be another feather for your hat as it were and keep a traditional skill alive.

Y

Yes we are happy they have responded if not very late. our problem now is we have lost some of our experienced crew with two deaths and also I have serious leg problems so we need new experienced crew who are used to a fully laden boat.

I should think finding people experienced of loaded boats is going to be a shrinking pool of people sadly these days.

Why not invite people to volunteer and train them and pass these skills on. If you only want experienced ready made people that starts to sound like the very thing you were complaining about in the first place with CRTs attitude to your services and using professional/contract teams.

Edited by churchward

I should think finding people experienced of loaded boats is going to be a shrinking pool of people sadly these days.

Why not invite people to volunteer and train them and pass these skills on. If you only want experienced ready made people that starts to sound like the very thing you were complaining about in the first place with CRTs attitude to your services and using professional/contract teams.

There a fair few WRGies with an interest in working boats, might be a good place to start looking for volunteers to train.

Fantastic news about the offer Laurence, something for you to get your teeth into. Would it be possible to get grants to enable you to teach people how to operate loaded boats at the same time. Be another feather for your hat as it were and keep a traditional skill alive.

We don't need grants but the idea of training has been on our minds for a while, its a good suggestion Andy.

We need people too who can come along mid week as if CRT want to be on board they don't always work week ends.

The amount of things they have asked us to look at doing is immense and seems to encroach on their own staff's workload,

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 10 months later...

Since the thread has been sort of resurrected, here is my probably controversial two pennies worth.

I have worked for ten years in the conservation field and having moved onto my boat in november was looking for something to keep me occupied whilst between contracts . I contacted three groups, Canalscape-bcn, coombeswood trust and Dudley Canal trust. In each case I felt fobbed off by the groups before any of them had even bothered to find out my background or skills available.

As a mid thirties, (relatively) fit bloke with a degree in outdoor activity management, another in environmental studies and valid certificates in chainsaw, brushcutter, tractor, 4x4, ATV, first aid, risk assessment, RYA level 2, RYA-IWHC plus far too many others to write down. Couple this with experience in writing bids for, and managing multi million£ heritage lottery projects I felt I would have some serious skills to bring. The problem as I seemed to see it was that these groups all seemed really closed off 'old boys clubs' who were not interested in even really speaking to me.

Canalscape bcn were overly negative, Coombeswood told me to go to the bcn and the Dudley canal Trust were just plain rude.

CaRT on the other hand were helpful and willing to have me on-board directly.

If this is the kind of response others get when approaching volunteer groups then I'm not at all surprised that the skills are lacking or that they struggle to get CaRT to help, if the attitude I was shown is similar across the board.

Regardless of whether a group has been working for years or not if the attitude changes from 'we would like to help as much as we can' to 'we are entitled to be given work' then don't be surprised if the attitude changes the other way as well.

Just saying.

p.s. why is the northern bcn so deserted relatively speaking - it's bloody stunning!

• Greenie 1

". I contacted three groups, Canalscape-bcn, coombeswood trust and Dudley Canal trust. In each case I felt fobbed off by the groups before any of them had even bothered to find out my background or skills available.

"Canalscape bcn were overly negative, Coombeswood told me to go to the bcn and the Dudley canal Trust were just plain rude".

"p.s. why is the northern bcn so deserted relatively speaking - it's bloody stunning!"

In relation to the first two quotes:

I have no memory of anyone contacting us late in 2015 in regards to Canalscape-BCN, as I ran it I think I would remember. The decision to close down CS-BCN was taken in October 2014, we briefly resurrected over Dec-Jan under the belief CRT were going to provide proper work for the boat, however after a meeting with Mr Parry and Mr Lane nothing happened and we shut down the CS BCN operation and I sold my work boat "Barnet" off early 2015.

In relation to the third:

Yes the Northern BCN is stunning and still sadly under boated.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

In relation to the first two quotes:

I have no memory of anyone contacting us late in 2015 in regards to Canalscape-BCN, as I ran it I think I would remember. The decision to close down CS-BCN was taken in October 2014, we briefly resurrected over Dec-Jan under the belief CRT were going to provide proper work for the boat, however after a meeting with Mr Parry and Mr Lane nothing happened and we shut down the CS BCN operation and I sold my work boat "Barnet" off early 2015.

In relation to the third:

Yes the Northern BCN is stunning and still sadly under boated.

In that case Laurence please accept my sincere apologies, I've obviously gotten your old group mixed up with another still running.

Since the thread has been sort of resurrected, here is my probably controversial two pennies worth.

I have worked for ten years in the conservation field and having moved onto my boat in november was looking for something to keep me occupied whilst between contracts . I contacted three groups, Canalscape-bcn, coombeswood trust and Dudley Canal trust. In each case I felt fobbed off by the groups before any of them had even bothered to find out my background or skills available.

As a mid thirties, (relatively) fit bloke with a degree in outdoor activity management, another in environmental studies and valid certificates in chainsaw, brushcutter, tractor, 4x4, ATV, first aid, risk assessment, RYA level 2, RYA-IWHC plus far too many others to write down. Couple this with experience in writing bids for, and managing multi million£ heritage lottery projects I felt I would have some serious skills to bring. The problem as I seemed to see it was that these groups all seemed really closed off 'old boys clubs' who were not interested in even really speaking to me.

Canalscape bcn were overly negative, Coombeswood told me to go to the bcn and the Dudley canal Trust were just plain rude.

CaRT on the other hand were helpful and willing to have me on-board directly.

If this is the kind of response others get when approaching volunteer groups then I'm not at all surprised that the skills are lacking or that they struggle to get CaRT to help, if the attitude I was shown is similar across the board.

Regardless of whether a group has been working for years or not if the attitude changes from 'we would like to help as much as we can' to 'we are entitled to be given work' then don't be surprised if the attitude changes the other way as well.

Just saying.

p.s. why is the northern bcn so deserted relatively speaking - it's bloody stunning!

Have you tried the BCN Society? We have a work party cleaning up the Walsall Canal this Saturday to which you would be very welcome. This will be the third Saturday in a row. Shame I didn't pick this message up before. This message was put on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BirminghamCanalNavigationsSociety/?ref=hl

"Another successful clean up this weekend and a good crew to grapple the bridge holes on the Walsall between Hollyhead road, Darlason road, Heathfields road and Barnes Meadow bridges.

A great haul of mattresses, trolleys, tyres, a wheelchair !!!, 1TV and a huge tool chest (obviously stolen and dumped)

At the Wagon & Horses after the cleanup we proposed our next workparty at Ocker Hill starting at 09.00 next Saturday 27th Feb to continue up the Walsall canal from Porketts bridge onwards so please send another call to arms to all to help.

Again there will be soup and cake to sustain the troops!

Car parking available at Ocker Hill moorings.

Directions Baylees lane Tipton, DY4 0PX"

Give Stuart a call if you are interested in joining this clean up - 07510167288