Wanted (losing will to live looking) 30k to 40k Narrowboat

Skyraker

Featured Posts

have you tried looking at 40k to 50k boats and bartering?[/quote

Sure, when I was after a 30k craft I searched between 27k and 39.

Now my criteria is 35 to 50.

But the it's astonishing what people put up for 50k. I'm taking age into consideration.... Ie) a 2009 craft at 50k has some depreciation left to go, so I'm focusing on boats around the 2005 mark, they're unlikely to depreciate any further, should be in good condition depending on the owner......

...Almost certainly overpriced..... Perhaps a cheeky 40k offer on a 50k sale price (cash remember) might be tempting.

What do you guys think?

Ah Jaballen..... Was considering taking a look until my budget increased

Great heywood boat isn't it

have you tried looking at 40k to 50k boats and bartering?[/quote

Sure, when I was after a 30k craft I searched between 27k and 39.

Now my criteria is 35 to 50.

But the it's astonishing what people put up for 50k. I'm taking age into consideration.... Ie) a 2009 craft at 50k has some depreciation left to go, so I'm focusing on boats around the 2005 mark, they're unlikely to depreciate any further, should be in good condition depending on the owner......

...Almost certainly overpriced..... Perhaps a cheeky 40k offer on a 50k sale price (cash remember) might be tempting.

What do you guys think?

yes great haywood boats

what about this from rugby boats, 58ft bed midships http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Trads/58ft-dennis-cooper-canal-transport-sevices-traditional-narrow-boat-for-sale-at-rugby-boats.html

Edited by GoodGurl

With that last suggestion, our boatsleuth Ms. Gurl has hit upon something which I was also thinking of: that if you want a midships bedroom, you are most likely to find one in a boat which has an engine room (and thus a vintage style engine). Quite a few are built with a back cabin but also with a double bed further forward, i.e. amidships.

The only trouble is they tend to be upper-bracket builds and so, even at ten years old, they may exceed your budget.

NB vintage style engines don't bite (well, not all of them) and some, such as the Beta Tug JD3, are in fact modern engines which just look old.

Good advice. I can remember being told when we first bought our boat to live with it a year before we made any changes, because your perceptions as a non liveaboard are very differnt to the reality of the life.

They were spot on.

Good advice indeed. Although we didn't buy ours to live on we wanted to rush into making changes including (as the op wants to) binning the pram hood. However it was in our case RLWP who suggested we hang fire a while before removing it as we might end up appreciating it (despite the appearance!)

And it was correct because we realised after the trip moving the boat to our mooring how useful it was. It last came into it's own on Sunday when I was able to remain bone dry under it whilst I did the last engine/gearbox service on the boat in the pouring rain.

Edited by MJG

Thanks, thats great to hear.

ive only got six weeks to find her, survey and buy her. There are reasons for this, but it is just how it is sadly.

If you are on a tight schedule I think you might need to compromise.

We had a similar budget, with less than half of your must haves and it took us about 6 months to find the right boat for us, we had all the time in the world to find something though.

With that last suggestion, our boatsleuth Ms. Gurl has hit upon something which I was also thinking of: that if you want a midships bedroom, you are most likely to find one in a boat which has an engine room (and thus a vintage style engine). Quite a few are built with a back cabin but also with a double bed further forward, i.e. amidships.

The only trouble is they tend to be upper-bracket builds and so, even at ten years old, they may exceed your budget.

NB vintage style engines don't bite (well, not all of them) and some, such as the Beta Tug JD3, are in fact modern engines which just look old.

Athy mate, you lost me at "upper bracket" , and I rejoined you at 'look old"

I'm assuming bite is similar to clutch bite (I want a medal if I guessed right), Beta Tug, JD3 don't sound terribly modern unless you were chatting to my' almost was' father in law who still has to lie down if he's seen an unusual tractor or ride along lawn mower with an overhead forged camshaft on a non interference engine.

I really like engines, I've a Mit 3000GT (which I know has 2 overhead cams, 2 turbos and an interference engine), but marine diesels?

I Don't have a clue (yet).

Perhaps convention is the way and go see a few more rear sleeping arrangements.

If you are on a tight schedule I think you might need to compromise.

We had a similar budget, with less than half of your must haves and it took us about 6 months to find the right boat for us, we had all the time in the world to find something though.

I thought I had ages.

I'm the type of fella that wants it yesterday.

They're going to see me coming a mile off.

My boat took me a long time to find.. And I had sold a flat, so had to get something within a deadline. However, I found a great boat, tongue n groove n all, at the right price (up for 35, sold for 30). Must have looked at well over 50 boats, and all others were crap.. It was Christmas time, so anything good had sold by end of summer. Except the one I bought, found at an tiny broker who didn't advertise it anywhere except his own website,

So, they are out there.. Do consider some older boats though.. My 1990 boat was in far better condition than many 2005 boats I'd looked at. Had lost only 0.3mm at survey. As its a top end builder it'll hold its value. Search on Les Allen, Norton Canes, RogerFuller etc on the duck and you'll notice their value is always high despite the wide range of ages.

Keep looking, don't limit your search to the duck. Google names of good hull builders, and you'll find ones for sale that aren't on the duck.

I got mine surveyed and paid for it in 5 days... This was because it was a week before Christmas. Could take much longer to get a survey this time of year.

Good luck!

We have a central bedroom, bow to stern we are saloon, galley, bedroom, bathroom, engine room, back cabin. Works well for us, so they are out there, but rare.

no cratch or pram either, juSt a lovely long tug deck!

Ditto for us except no tug deck.

Phil

Athy mate, you lost me at "upper bracket" , and I rejoined you at 'look old"

I'm assuming bite is similar to clutch bite (I want a medal if I guessed right), Beta Tug, JD3 don't sound terribly modern unless you were chatting to my' almost was' father in law who still has to lie down if he's seen an unusual tractor or ride along lawn mower with an overhead forged camshaft on a non interference engine.

Skyy mate, I'm sorry if what was meant to be an explanation only confused you further. I'll try again.

You want a boat with a midships bedroom. These are not common.

However, they are most common in boats which have a separate engine room - such boats will often have a very traditional back cabin (sometimes called "boatman's cabin") at the rear, but will also have a bedroom forward of the engine room. So this bedroom will be as near as dammit amidships.

Separate engine rooms often contain vintage engines - a make such as Lister or Gardner. These are usually old engines which have been restored. When I say they don't bite I mean that if you are not mechanically minded (and I am not) you need not worry about them going wrong all the time. I've had three in a row in different boats and had hardly any mechanical trouble with any of them.

The Beta JD3 Tug is a modern engine, still in production. It is based on a John Deere tractor engine. It has the slow-revving beat of a vintage engine and looks quite like one.

I hope I have made more sense at the second attempt.

We have a bedroom half way along the boat.

From bow, saloon,bathroom,bedroom, dinning area and galley at the stern.

55' Cruiser stern.

Keep looking they are there. The above vessel looks good. Haven't read the whole ad.

Martyn

have you tried looking at 40k to 50k boats and bartering?

What's he going to swap for the boat?

Oh, you meant haggling.

Sorry - pet hate of mine.

Is there any update on the classic depreciation formula, though?

A well-kept boat loses half its value in ten years, half again in another ten, then after that it levels out provided the maintenance is up to scratch,

I don't know what your Heath is like,or what restraint time puts on your life, but if I were you I would put on some walking boots and get walking along the towpaths, there are loads of boats out there that never go on brokerage, or the net, but just stick a sign up in the window, if I ever move from plastic to tin this is the way I would go, you don't have to listen to some little pencil neck that just cares about there commission and will talk a glass eye to sleep telling you about how great there boats are, or drive the length of the country on the strength of a photo, only to get there and find another crock of shit with a new coat of paint on,you get to knock on the door before they have had chance to light a jostick and mask the smell of damp, or run the engine for an hour before you arrive so it starts on the button, until you hand over your cash and find it don't like cold mornings,your boat is out there waiting,it's up to you to find it goodluck

Personal preference.... I know some love them, some, don't.

I don't really like catch covers if I'm honest...

Just my preference, I don't want to start a debate and derail this thread.

Hi

I too hate pram covers and intensely dislike cratch covers also though they are easily removed and binned so its not a problem. Sovereign lady is a worn out piece of poo and worth 25k tops. Our boat has centre bedroom but your views change over the years as we have had several layouts the only one I would never have under any circumstances is a bedroom at the front but again each to their own. I have had cruiser/trad and semi trad back ends each has its merits and downsides. In short being a little open minded is probably the way to go as you may be suprised what actualy takes ya fancy biggrin.png

Tim

I don't know what your Heath is like,or what restraint time puts on your life, but if I were you I would put on some walking boots and get walking along the towpaths, there are loads of boats out there that never go on brokerage, or the net, but just stick a sign up in the window, if I ever move from plastic to tin this is the way I would go, you don't have to listen to some little pencil neck that just cares about there commission and will talk a glass eye to sleep telling you about how great there boats are, or drive the length of the country on the strength of a photo, only to get there and find another crock of shit with a new coat of paint on,you get to knock on the door before they have had chance to light a jostick and mask the smell of damp, or run the engine for an hour before you arrive so it starts on the button, until you hand over your cash and find it don't like cold mornings,your boat is out there waiting,it's up to you to find it goodluck

All very true.

Tim

Good advice indeed. Although we didn't buy ours to live on we wanted to rush into making changes including (as the op wants to) binning the pram hood. However it was in our case RLWP who suggested we hang fire a while before removing it as we might end up appreciating it (despite the appearance!)

And it was correct because we realised after the trip moving the boat to our mooring how useful it was. It last came into it's own on Sunday when I was able to remain bone dry under it whilst I did the last engine/gearbox service on the boat in the pouring rain.

Aye, in our case it's the cratch cover. It looks awful, especially as we had it made on the cheap by a firm that does curtain lorry sides, but sometimes functionality overrides aesthetics. It provides additional dry storage for us and (more importantly) means I can smoke when it's raining without getting wet!

We're saving up to get a proper one made - kinver canopies were highly recommended if I remember rightly