Anyone just received CRT letter 'reminding' CC'ers to move?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

The "Chair" of the NBTA's take on the matter :

Complying with the 1995 Act by using the boat 'bona fide for navigation without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days' does not mean that we are prohibited from having a job, sending our children to school or receiving health care in one place. We will not be bullied into complying with unlawful 'rules' that go beyond what is stated in the 1995 Act.

What one does when they aren't cruising is nobody's buisness! is that difficult to understand?

Disagree

Unless paranoid, I think those boaters who have done 500+ miles KNOW that there's other CCers who have done less, including a minority who have done very little actual cruising compared to being moored in one place at a time. So they'll know why CRT need to put this into a letter.

Of course, there's a middle point somewhere where someone's not done 500 miles, but has moved around. The principle remains though - those who know they're compliant, won't worry and those who know they aren't compliant, will probably either dismiss it, worry, or change their behaviour.

If you don't know if you're compliant, and given that the law is based upon "bona fide for navigation" then you'e basically saying you don't know if you use the boat for cruising.

I really wish you would stop making wild assumptions, and attempting to second guess things.

It really is not constructive, even though it may go some way to feeding your own ego.

I rang crt yesterday to renew my license, and even though I keep three logs and know damned well i am within the legislation, I was still apprehensive everytime I was left hanging on the phone.

This is not good, in fact it's appalling.

So please, if you can't give factual responses to the debate, don't bother!

What one does when they aren't cruising is nobody's buisness! is that difficult to understand?

I think you need to be very careful how you choose to phrase things. I know you mean cruising = boat is moving, but cruising can also mean to include the stops. Otherwise we'd get into daft scenarios such as stopping cruising when turning locks or opening their gates; or brief stops in cruising waiting for another boat to come through a tunnel or bridgehole etc.

As I understand it, cruising INCLUDES stopping for short periods of time, for example one might stop for lunch, and one would most certainly stop at the end of the day. This stop might be for longer than simply an overnight stop. The law defines its length as up to 14 days.

So if you're saying boaters aren't cruising, then you're effectively saying that they have moved the boat then stopped for 14 days, then there is a period AFTER this 14 days too.

I really wish you would stop making wild assumptions, and attempting to second guess things.

It really is not constructive, even though it may go some way to feeding your own ego.

I rang crt yesterday to renew my license, and even though I keep three logs and know damned well i am within the legislation, I was still apprehensive everytime I was left hanging on the phone.

I think you're probably one of the best examples of "paranoid boater".

• Greenie 1

and also a law that says if a boater leaves their marina for more than a weekend, they lose their marina mooring permanently. That will help with the VM "problem" in some areas.

Will this post be deleted by DeanS as it has gone off topic, and off this world to boot.

• Greenie 1

I think you need to be very careful how you choose to phrase things. I know you mean cruising = boat is moving, but cruising can also mean to include the stops. Otherwise we'd get into daft scenarios such as stopping cruising when turning locks or opening their gates; or brief stops in cruising waiting for another boat to come through a tunnel or bridgehole etc.

As I understand it, cruising INCLUDES stopping for short periods of time, for example one might stop for lunch, and one would most certainly stop at the end of the day. This stop might be for longer than simply an overnight stop. The law defines its length as up to 14 days.

So if you're saying boaters aren't cruising, then you're effectively saying that they have moved the boat then stopped for 14 days, then there is a period AFTER this 14 days too.

I think you're probably one of the best examples of "paranoid boater".

This ""Unless paranoid, I think those boaters who have done 500+ miles KNOW that there's other CCers who have done less, ""

Is a really stupid statement, as a ccer, I have no idea what particular boat has overstayed in an area. Unless of course I had overstayed. Do you get that?

DeanS, on 04 Mar 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:snapback.png

and also a law that says if a boater leaves their marina for more than a weekend, they lose their marina mooring permanently. That will help with the VM "problem" in some areas.

Will this post be deleted by DeanS as it has gone off topic, and off this world to boot.

Er, I think it was a joke?

This ""Unless paranoid, I think those boaters who have done 500+ miles KNOW that there's other CCers who have done less, ""

Is a really stupid statement, as a ccer, I have no idea what particular boat has overstayed in an area. Unless of course I had overstayed. Do you get that?

Aaaaah, the "ostrich" approach. Similar to cotswaldman's "I don't receive mail" response.

Aaaaah, the "ostrich" approach. Similar to cotswaldman's "I don't receive mail" response.

"Shakes head at the usual bland reply"

You really need to get an idea of what you are talking about if you wish to debate this stuff.

If you are a complying CCer, you won't know of any particular boat because you won't be around to see them. But it is impossible for anyone rationally to deny that there are boats without home moorings that hardly move at all and you have to start from a real position, even if you have to accept the word of those with home moorings who DO cruise in a limited area and see them, or even of those of us who know such owners personally. So I'm afraid they exist, and therefore if you accept that something has to be done about them (which you may not, as that's a debatable issue in itself), then you have to work out how to do it. You either accept CRT's way, or suggest another constructive method of dealing with it.

Thank you Mr. Marshall. How's the top box?

Oh it's you! Fancy that... hi, and it's fine! Some of it has been recycled into other functioning items though...

If you are a complying CCer, you won't know of any particular boat because you won't be around to see them. But it is impossible for anyone rationally to deny that there are boats without home moorings that hardly move at all and you have to start from a real position, even if you have to accept the word of those with home moorings who DO cruise in a limited area and see them, or even of those of us who know such owners personally. So I'm afraid they exist, and therefore if you accept that something has to be done about them (which you may not, as that's a debatable issue in itself), then you have to work out how to do it. You either accept CRT's way, or suggest another constructive method of dealing with it.

The thing is Arthur, as a ccer, I could not put my hand on my heart and specifically point out a non mover, though as I stated the other day, I suspect you having a home mooring would be able to do so.

The thing is Arthur, as a ccer, I could not put my hand on my heart and specifically point out a non mover, though as I stated the other day, I suspect you having a home mooring would be able to do so.

As we've already agreed, you can't - and probably nor can any other compliant CCer.. So your apprehension in dealing with licence renewal is really the same as anyone has when dealing with authorities that have the power to mess your life up (and are quite capable of making mistakes), It shouldn't really be made worse by this letter, though I can understand why it is.

Do it online instead. None of that having to talk to people then .wink.png

As we've already agreed, you can't - and probably nor can any other compliant CCer...

Really? I probably could. I wouldn't as I don't know why a particular boat is in one spot for longer than two weeks (or however short a VM might be) and its none of my business, I'm not a fan of getting a community to turn on itself and shop each other Gestapo/KGB style.

I would be able to point to these boats not because I have overstayed but because I walk my dog along long stretches the canal, go for bike rides, commute along the cut and my office is on it. My partner who is currently boat bound with two lit'luns wouldn't be able to though.

I just find the implication that I am not a compliant boater without a home mooring a bit of a stretch.

I walk my dog along long stretches the canal, go for bike rides, commute along the cut and my office is on it.

Wait .. you're a CC'r with an office job who walks a dog and bike commutes along the towpath?

I think you should become a volunteer lockie and join both the IWA and NBTA just to watch everyone get their preconceptions muddled.

I just find the implication that I am not a compliant boater without a home mooring a bit of a stretch.

You CCers are a prickly lot. You will have noticed that I said "probably". that's because I am sure some CCers can spot overstayers, and some can't. Same as some with home moorings. And people with dogs. And bicycles. And people who fish. And, for that matter, fish. I really, really, apologise if I've left anyone, or any sentient being, or in fact anything, out.

You CCers are a prickly lot. You will have noticed that I said "probably". that's because I am sure some CCers can spot overstayers, and some can't. Same as some with home moorings. And people with dogs. And bicycles. And people who fish. And, for that matter, fish. I really, really, apologise if I've left anyone, or any sentient being, or in fact anything, out.

Please note I am not acting as a representative for all boaters without a home mooring and should not be held to represent that group of people any more than I should be held to represent white men with boats. I may be prickly but I assure you it has nothing to do with what type of boat I have, where it is kept or what colour it is painted. Perhaps you find many boaters prickly because of your own preconceptions?

I put a "perhaps" there, so like you I can make a statement without basis and when someone disagrees I can fall back on the old "Yes, well I meant most or some or none..." The old "probably" argument does my head in, its bandied around all the bloody time on here and all it really means is whoever said it hasn't got a bloody clue what they're talking about and are preparing to back track if pulled up on it.

Please note I have nothing against you personally (other than your original insinuation that any CCer that can spot an overstayer is not a CCer in your opinion.) and that last paragraph is more a rant on a proliferation of a general style that I've noticed of late.

But to get back on topic (and to add further confusion to those who wish to quantify and put folk in categories!) As a boater without a home mooring I support these letters, they simply reaffirm the licence agreement. some people do need reminding/making aware, who those people are is an argument that is ultimately moot as we are all being reminded so those who need it will get it.

• Greenie 1

I find that amazing. I have passed a couple of boats before that if everything on the bank and already loaded on the boat was loaded ready to move the boat wouldn't fit under a bridge. I suggest they were CMers. Particularly as the counter was piled to well above roof level with things and so there was no way they could have steered.

I find that amazing. I have passed a couple of boats before that if everything on the bank and already loaded on the boat was loaded ready to move the boat wouldn't fit under a bridge. I suggest they were CMers. Particularly as the counter was piled to well above roof level with things and so there was no way they could have steered.

That's obviously nb Tardis. Plenty of room inside for everything when moving the boat.

Here we go again.... Same old same old. You "suggest".

That's obviously nb Tardis. Plenty of room inside for everything when moving the boat.

Oh, you come as a pair :-)

Some of the things wouldn't have gone through the door.

Here we go again.... Same old same old. You "suggest".

Oh, you come as a pair :-)

OK if you wish me to be less polite about it. They were obviously CMers as they couldn't possibly have moved.

What have you against the word suggest?

Some of the things wouldn't have gone through the door.

OK if you wish me to be less polite about it. They were obviously CMers as they couldn't possibly have moved.

What have you against the word suggest?

Get a grip man. Your wound will never heal if you keep picking it.