Most beautiful canal cruise for 60th birthday

Floggist

Featured Posts

One other rather different kind of boating holiday is to hire on the Caledonian Canal in Scotland. Go through Loch Ness and the other locks in the Great Glen. Not exactly the same as English canals but spectacular on the scenery front. You used to be able to hire very nice crusiers from near the Inverness end but it was quite a few years ago since we did that.

Pedant alert - Stone is on the Trent & Mersey, but I agree the S&W is very attractive around Tixall Wide and reasonable for the rest of its route. It is however quite heavily!y locked as it falls towards Worcester.

Cough!

The S & W goes to STOURPORT.

It's the Worcester and Birmingham that goes to WORCESTER.

Personal choice would be the Llangollen, perhaps the top of Peak Forest and the Maccie or the S & W around Great Heywood.

Cough!

The S & W goes to STOURPORT.

It's the Worcester and Birmingham that goes to WORCESTER.

Personal choice would be the Llangollen, perhaps the top of Peak Forest and the Maccie or the S & W around Great Heywood.

Whoops, my bad, and I have cruised the entire length of this canal more than once, and the bit between Autherly and Great Hayward more times than I can remember.

Lots of good suggestions. Personally, for a week, I'd probably go for the Llangollen, starting at the Shroppie end. Though it would depend on when you plan to go, as it can get busy.

21 locks, but no locks after New Marton, so you can sit back and enjoy the lovely scenery, tunnels and aqueducts. The last stretch from Trefor to Llangollen is quite something, and there's a definite end point, i.e the marina at Llangollen. Whitchurch is a lovely town and Ellesmere makes a nice stop, and both have easy access and mooring points.

But that's just my opinion.

I would certainly second that opinion!

I agree the central Leeds Liverpool takes some beating but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a first timer. I tend to think a narrow canal offers a better introduction.

But on the other hand if our OP 's wife's birthday is in mid July or August the Llangollen or South Oxford might not be the best choice either unless you want to experience lock queues.

At a busy time of year I would probably opt for a cruise up and down the Staffs and Worcs starting from Stone, the northern section of this canal is one of the prettiest around and Tixall Wide is a unique feature that will make ex river boaters feel right at home.

I agree the central Leeds Liverpool takes some beating but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a first timer

Cant argue that point, agree on both counts . Being a twice only hirer, the first on the South Oxford, and then the L & L , I am really happy we did the narrow canal first. Initially the thought of navigating locks was a quite daunting prospect. Had we found ourselves contemplating a wide lock first up who knows what may have transpired. Looking back it's difficult to choose one over the other scenery wise . Loved them both.

I agree the central Leeds Liverpool takes some beating but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a first timer

Cant argue that point, agree on both counts . Being a twice only hirer, the first on the South Oxford, and then the L & L , I am really happy we did the narrow canal first. Initially the thought of navigating locks was a quite daunting prospect. Had we found ourselves contemplating a wide lock first up who knows what may have transpired. Looking back it's difficult to choose one over the other scenery wise . Loved them both.

My first canal holiday was on the Grand Union, doing the Warwickshire Ring from Braunston, way back in 1973. I was appreciative of the wide !ocks, because we were able to share them with experienced boaters thus learning how to use them properly in less time. Later on in the trip we encountered narrow locks, by which time we were nearly experts :)

Another vote for llangollen but if you want to experience countryise take a detour and do the Monty (ooops don't tell everyone how lovely it is or it will be busy!) we have done it at least three times and each time i just want to pootle up and down and moor for longer to enjoy the peace, oh and you may gey a good show from the trainee helicpoter training thingy place!!

OR

Equally as interesting and a bit of a mix os sceney the caldon, especially pretty once through engine lock and well worth mooring up and taking the steam train for a different view of the canal

I quite like the droitwich except not particularly good for mooring.

Loved Stratford upon avon

adore the shroppie

River weaver is great too

Oh and im also fond of the stourport end of S&W!

I could go on..... but i wont much to say i think it is a personal choice and you will enjoy anywhere as it is your memories you are creating!

Wow, thanks for so many replies guys!

OK, the trip will be around her birthday (20th June) so hopefully misses school holidays. We live in Kent, so the South Oxford sounds convenient and like bigste said, there's always next time for the Shroppy, Llangollen and all the rest on other trips. :-)

Now all I need to do is find somebody who will hire us and out three Jack Russell Terriers a boat!

Any more advice would be appreciated!

Now all I need to do is find somebody who will hire us and out three Jack Russell Terriers a boat!

Then be aware some hire cos will either not accept pets on some or all of their boats or may set a max. number of one or two.

You could spend your time endlessly rounding the contour bends of the Southern Oxford and never reaching a pub' at lunchtime or in the evening. If you want isolation and green scenery you had better rent an isolated cottage, maybe one without an electricity supply, e.g. on Dartmoor?

The purpose of the canals was to connect the centres of industry. We were fortunate in 1976 to hire for the first time from the centre of Birmingham. It was particularly pleasurable to pass through a quiet cutting in the city and see a kingfisher, then emerge from a flight of locks into the noise of a town. The contrast as we proceded towards Stratford-on-Avon made the countryside seem even more beautiful.

Don't do what we did; you may be forever condemned to be determined to see all of the wonders of our British Waterways; sailing on, year-after-year in hire boats and, eventually investing in a boat, or shared boat, of your own.

Alan

Wow, thanks for so many replies guys!

OK, the trip will be around her birthday (20th June) so hopefully misses school holidays. We live in Kent, so the South Oxford sounds convenient and like bigste said, there's always next time for the Shroppy, Llangollen and all the rest on other trips. :-)

Investigate Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Heyford, or Napton Narrowboats at yes you've guessed, Napton. Both very reputable firms. Not sure about their pets policies, though.

Investigate Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Heyford, or Napton Narrowboats at yes you've guessed, Napton. Both very reputable firms. Not sure about their pets policies, though.

Napton allow pets, or they did when we hired from them in 2009, I'm not sure if there is a limit on the number though.

I agree the central Leeds Liverpool takes some beating but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a first timer. I tend to think a narrow canal offers a better introduction.

Interesting you should say that but our first ever hire boat holiday was on the L&L and it gave us a great introduction to the whole canal boating thing. I guess though the difference for us was that we had five aboard meaning we had crew for both sides of the wide locks which does make things easier. It would be harder work as a couple agreed, unless you were lucky and could perhaps share the work with another boat/crew, then it would be just as easy as a narrow canal. Of course it is no where as busy as other canals so sometimes it would be a while before another boat came along to share with, the upside being of course that you rarely have to wait for a lock due to the lack of traffic.

Calcutt Boats have a nice colour scheme don't they Mike?

I agree the two companies mentioned are well respected.

You could negotiate with the company regarding number of dogs. They are small,well behaved and gone past the messing and chewing stages.

Martyn

The Rochdale does indeed have more spectacular scenery than the Llangollen, but it's much harder work. I suspect that's the main reason for the difference in popularity between the two.

If I was the OP, I'd be thinking hard about the Mon & Brec, it doesn't get mentioned much on here because most of us are boat owners and we've (for obvious reasons) never cruised on it. I've walked around there and it really is lovely! If anyone has a boat on the Mon & Brec and would like to do a week's swap with my boat on the BCN, please let me know!

The Rochdale does indeed have more spectacular scenery than the Llangollen, but it's much harder work. I suspect that's the main reason for the difference in popularity between the two.

If I was the OP, I'd be thinking hard about the Mon & Brec, it doesn't get mentioned much on here because most of us are boat owners and we've (for obvious reasons) never cruised on it. I've walked around there and it really is lovely! If anyone has a boat on the Mon & Brec and would like to do a week's swap with my boat on the BCN, please let me know!

Was mentioned at least once I think. We had a week on it while we were "between boats". It's relentlessly pretty.