Most beautiful canal cruise for 60th birthday

Floggist

Featured Posts

The Rochdale does indeed have more spectacular scenery than the Llangollen, but it's much harder work. I suspect that's the main reason for the difference in popularity between the two.

If I was the OP, I'd be thinking hard about the Mon & Brec, it doesn't get mentioned much on here because most of us are boat owners and we've (for obvious reasons) never cruised on it. I've walked around there and it really is lovely! If anyone has a boat on the Mon & Brec and would like to do a week's swap with my boat on the BCN, please let me know!

Yep, we did it just prior to getting our own boat, as we knew it would be possibly our only chance to visit. It is stunning. The boat we hired was slightly wider than standard and somewhat shorter in order to negotiate one or two tight bends. It is the most stunning canal and so quiet.

Another vote for the Chesterfield, The lock flights above Worksop are stunning, my fav on the Cart system. Some dinky little three and two rises that you can operate with one hand. AFAIK The Chesterfield Boat Co are still running (based in Stockwith Basin), well they were last year. Mrs TNC finally made it last year and was impressed with the bit above Morse Lock that she had not done.

I used to live in Camberley before taking a break in France for ten years so I know the Basingstoke canal quite well.

OK, job done, I booked with College Cruisers they did me a good deal charging me for two of the three dogs. It is a short break taster of four nights so we won't get far. Maybe Banbury and back. They have some information sheets for customers who are new to the canal so we should hopefully make best use of our time.

On another note: I used to do lots of miles in a boat that did one mile to the gallon so I wonder how many mpg/gph I can expect out of a canal cruiser at 3 knots?

It depends on the size of boat and size of engine. Many people express their fuel consumption in litres per hour and reckon on about one litre or so per hour.

I tend to use the traditional way and reckon that I get 7 or 8 miles to the gallon. At 2,800 cc, my engine is perhaps a little larger than average, so you may do a bit better. There again, much depends on how many locks and how long you have to wait at each one (though some people switch their engines off while they are waiting).

Good canal choice! And well done for getting a DOGOF offer.

Edited by Athy

Can't wait until June 22 now, just got to hope for decent weather. :-)

Thanks to all for your excellent advice.

Oh, BTW I saw the Llangollen on the telly earlier - that one is definitely on our list next then we'll get to the rest...

Regards,

Andrew.

If you're not bothered about missing out on doing locks I'd recommend the Lancaster canal - though you could always nip down to Glasson Dock if you want to do a few locks. The Lune Aqueduct and Morecambe Bay were my favourite bits.

Edited damn predictive text changed Lune to Line!

Edited by Ange

Can't wait until June 22 now, just got to hope for decent weather. :-)

Thanks to all for your excellent advice.

Oh, BTW I saw the Llangollen on the telly earlier - that one is definitely on our list next then we'll get to the rest...

Regards,

Andrew.

No one has mentioned to you how seriously infectious the form of madness you catch by going on the the cut? smile.png

Beware, 1973 was the first time I hired a boat and still haven't got it out of my system

Caldon and Macc with the excitement of the Harecastle in between gets my vote.

Enjoy!