Holding Tank Vent Filter…another toilet question!!!!

Shockabilly

Featured Posts

NO and I would expect it to make the situation worse - that is unless its the smell outside that concerns you.

When you open the flap the waste dropping into the tank will displace air/gas. The easiest way out is back up the flap but while a water seal remains some air/gasses may be forced through the breather. I think the filter will make that more difficult.

The most important thing in combating smells in dump trough holding tanks is to fit two LARGE bore breathers (say 22mm as an absolute minimum but 1" plus is better). This helps set up a cross flow of air and thus oxygen across the surface to the tank contents and this encourages aerobic decomposition that does not smell as opposed to anaerobic that does.

Better still fabricate a smell proof box and fit a 12V computer fan in one breather pipe. Activate this upon entering the toilet so it purges most of the smelly gas from the tank before you oven the flap.

Probably intended for those toilets that pump the waste into the tank.

Our dump through used to be smelly from time to time. We have the pump out and vent connections exiting on the roof. It transpired that the flexi hose for the vent had a hit of a sag in it under the bed, creating a low point which tended to collect rainwater or rinsing water and thus blocking or partially blocking the vent. Since I replaced the flexi hose and supported it slightly differently so it does not say, no more stinks!

The video you posted does not show the filter fitted to a dump through toilet.

The problem is that whatever you put into a toilet tank will displace the same volume of air. On a dump through toilet, if it's easier and there's less resistance for those displaced gasses to come back up through the toilet than go out through a filter then that's exactly what they'll do.

Edited by blackrose

May be designed for macerator type of loo, not dump through. As said you need large bore vent pipes to get airflow and thus aerobic bacteria, this looks small bore and will reduce airflow encouraging anaerobic bacteria thus a stink, the filter may keep the stink in the tank but when you come to pump out!. Lee San sell a filter that is 40mm bore but again they only effective if you have two pipes for airflow, but then the smell is less anyway and so filters are not needed, unless like my friend his vent is only 2 foot from rear hatch (tank under step), the Lee San ones did work.

We had ongoing smell problems with our holding tank which was only partially cured with extra ventilation, especially in the summer.

In the end I ripped the thing out and installed a cassette system which never smells, costs nothing to empty and quite literally places the management of wast in my own hands!

My blog post of the tank removal is here:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/its-got-to-be-worst-job-on-world.html

Oh dear, here we go again!

Popcorn time.

PS I like my dump through pumpout and it doesn't smell.

For the record I have a macerator pumpout, and am offering the benefit of my experience with the flexible pipes usually fitted to this type of toilet as standard.

Is it salted or toffee popcorn?

When I installed my holding tank 15 years ago I fitted a replaceable, canister-type, charcoal filter in the hull vent. This looks not unlike an oil filter is supposed to be replaced annually, or thereabouts. I've not had a hint of a smell over 15 years so it's replacement has sat in a cupboard in the engine room keeping the spare oil and fuel filters company.

However, what I would largely attribute the total lack of odour to is that I've never dosed the holding tank with any form of additive. Anaerobic activity, in my experience as a plumber, does the business on the business and there is rarely any need for outside intervention. Most additives start by killing all (beneficial and otherwise) bacteria and it's downhill all the way from there!

As an example a properly constructed and installed septic tank, in utilising both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria, breaks down toilet waste to the point where it's added to the soil around the dwelling it serves without making its presence known to the inhabitants. When problems do occur it's invariably down to design and installation – the principle is intrinsically sound and does not rely in any way on a nasty blue substance!

You certainly don't want any restrictions whatsoever in the tank vent which should be at least the same bore as that of the extraction pipe, around 1.5 inch. As well as the reasons above, it will prevent a temporary vacuum forming in the tank during pump-out, which could stress its seams.