RIBBLE LINK in Reality - 68ft boat?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

I was thinking of doing the Lancaster later this year but doubt if its possible on my boat. She is 68foot narrowbeam. If you have done this trip via Ribble link etc please let me know if you have done it on a longish boat. I am not interested in reading any CART dimensions literature as these are totaly inaccurate in many case, for example Thorne lock is quoted as 61ft 8inches narrowbeam when 70foot is actualy passable a hugely incorrect piece of literature. So IF you have been there done it got the T shirt on a long narrowboat 68ft plus please let me know biggrin.png

Cheers

Tim

Edited by DHutch
Title edited to add boat length.
  • Greenie 1

Hi Peeps

I was thinking of doing the Lancaster later this year but doubt if its possible on my boat. She is 68foot narrowbeam. If you have done this trip via Ribble link etc please let me know if you have done it on a longish boat. I am not interested in reading any CART dimensions literature as these are totaly inaccurate in many case, for example Thorne lock is quoted as 61ft 8inches narrowbeam when 70foot is actualy passable a hugely incorrect piece of literature. So IF you have been there done it got the T shirt on a long narrowboat 68ft plus please let me know biggrin.png

Cheers

Tim

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/ribble-link

If you click on 'Guidance Notes' link you will get the CRT booklet with the dimensions in it.

Hope that helps.

Don't think you'll get a 68 down the Rufford Tim sad.png

Hi Stan

Yep thats what I thought. The good thing about the forum is first hand experience rather than very often incorrect data from other sources such as CART.

Thanks

Peeps.

Tim

According to my data the shortest lock is Tarleton with a usable length of 68ft 3in. Other that that they are mostly 69+, If a boat has a square back it won't fit tight in the corner diagnally so you might lose a bit there.

Edited by bigste

Hi Peeps

Cheers

Tim

The best solution is to go up there and measure the locks yourself . . . . as you say, dimensions published by BW and C&RT are usually wrong.

According to my data the shortest lock is Tarleton with a usable length of 68ft 3in. Other that that they are mostly 69+, If a boat has a square back it won't fit tight in the corner diagnally so you might lose a bit there.

That will be a narrowboat diagonally? I know that the 62ft is based on a 14ft beam. From having my 57ft boat in these locks diagonally it is hard to imagine having another ten foot of boat in there, but it can be deceiving at the best of times! As has been said, only real way is to measure it, or even try it. I suspect it will be a very tight squeeze.

That will be a narrowboat diagonally? I know that the 62ft is based on a 14ft beam. From having my 57ft boat in these locks diagonally it is hard to imagine having another ten foot of boat in there, but it can be deceiving at the best of times! As has been said, only real way is to measure it, or even try it. I suspect it will be a very tight squeeze.

The thing is, the 62' is for a Short Boat of that length, not a square box. They only need that length down the centre of the lock. The cills are generally curved, and bottom gates need room to open & close, so there might not be an awful lot to be gained by putting a narrowboat diagonally. I think CRT sometimes quote a length of 60' for the Leeds & Liverpool for that reason.

Tim

The lengths I quote are not the lock sizes, they are the absolute maximum length of narrowboat that will get through, albeit corner to corner.

The lengths I quote are not the lock sizes, they are the absolute maximum length of narrowboat that will get through, albeit corner to corner.

I know my mate's 62 footer went up Wigan locks which are similar to Rufford. He struggled but it did go. Biggest problem was keeping it afloat due to heavily leaking top gates. I have never heard of anything approaching 68ft going down Rufford, but that doesn't mean it is impossible of course.

The thing is, the 62' is for a Short Boat of that length, not a square box. They only need that length down the centre of the lock. The cills are generally curved, and bottom gates need room to open & close, so there might not be an awful lot to be gained by putting a narrowboat diagonally. I think CRT sometimes quote a length of 60' for the Leeds & Liverpool for that reason.

Tim

True. Can't remeber what the cills are like down Rufford (even though we went down last year!) but I suspect they are curved.

The swing bridges are a PITA when single handed, but that is another story!

If you could get through the locks I am not sure you could navigate Savick Brook which has very tight S bends. You need to check the dimensions CRT state. I remember being glad we were only 58ft when we did it!

Val

Likewise at 57ft! (same on Wigan flight.)

Mayor's boatyard would know for sure. There are many boats that go to them for slipping (mine included.)

Edited by Guest

An option would be to go out at Eastham on the MSC down the Mersey and round the coast to the Ribble, we did that in 1996 in "Progress" without issues.

I do have this mad plan in mind eventually so that Old Friends can do the Lancaster.

Perhaps Tim can come along in a convoy.

An option would be to go out at Eastham on the MSC down the Mersey and round the coast to the Ribble, we did that in 1996 in "Progress" without issues.

I've heard that this had been done. What length/ engine did Progress have and did she have any modifications? How long did the trip take you?

I've heard that this had been done. What length/ engine did Progress have and did she have any modifications? How long did the trip take you?

You would need to be very, very careful about the weather and take good local advice.

I don't think I would fancy it in any sort of ordinary narrowboat!

Tim

You would need to be very, very careful about the weather and take good local advice.

I don't think I would fancy it in any sort of ordinary narrowboat!

Tim

Yes, this would certainly not be a trip to take lightly. Of course you could always pass the Ribble and come in at Glasson instead!

Yes, this would certainly not be a trip to take lightly. Of course you could always pass the Ribble and come in at Glasson instead!

The Mersey can quickly cut up rough, even before you get into open sea.

This was off Camell Lairds, upstream of Birkenhead, after setting off from Langton lock in good conditions. OK, it was not summertime. They gave up & turned back.

Shame about the coffee mugs!

Edit - there's also somewhere on the web some video of a narrowboat convoy arriving at Langton, before the Link was built, it's just like the open sea but no doubt they left Eastham in good conditions.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

This was off Camell Lairds, upstream of Birkenhead, after setting off from Langton lock in good conditions. OK, it was not summertime. They gave up & turned back.

Tim

Yes, it sounded as though there was a fair bit of clearing up to do afterwards . . . . but I think they'd have been better off to carry on, either pushing on more, easing down a bit or taking those steep waves more on one bow to get out of sync. with them, it wasn't too bad until they got beam on when turning back, and it would've quietened down a got a good bit from around Rock Ferry on up as the river widens out and the tide eases.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Edit - there's also somewhere on the web some video of a narrowboat convoy arriving at Langton, before the Link was built, it's just like the open sea but no doubt they left Eastham in good conditions.

Tim

This one?http://s778.photobucket.com/user/rgreg/media/Mersey003.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

Neither, just absolutely MENTALcaptain.gif I crossed from Eastham to Brunswick Lock last June in convoy - and with a pilot - in conditions suitable for a narrowboat.

The pilot, with 50 years of Mersey experience, was at pains to point out that Peel Ports are just looking for reasons to ban all pleasure craft, seaworthy yachts as well, from the river.

This trip ticks that boxangry.png