Little electric shocks?

Emily

Featured Posts

Hi everybody. Just briefly de-lurking myself to ask if anyone might know what's going on with my boat.

For the past couple of days I've been getting the odd electric shock, just little ones like static, from metal things on my boat- the burner, the radio, a curtain rod etc. I don't have any batteries at the moment and the only electricity is coming from the shore power. I'm going to ask my neighbours if any of them have a clue but I thought I'd ask here as well. It's freaking me out.

Hi everybody. Just briefly de-lurking myself to ask if anyone might know what's going on with my boat.

For the past couple of days I've been getting the odd electric shock, just little ones like static, from metal things on my boat- the burner, the radio, a curtain rod etc. I don't have any batteries at the moment and the only electricity is coming from the shore power. I'm going to ask my neighbours if any of them have a clue but I thought I'd ask here as well. It's freaking me out.

Be very careful. Is the electic earthed properly? I'd get it checked out IMMEDIATELY by a qualified electrician.

Unplug your shoreline and see if it still does it.

Edited by bizzard

You haven't recently installed a synthetic-fibre carpet or rug, have you? I have always got mild electric shocks from objects in rooms where these are present, and I think quite a few other people do also, though I don't know the scientific reason why.

Before you do anything else disconnect the shorepower now, then get it checked.

I would echo Bizzard's advice. It sounds like an earth bonding problem to me. Make sure that you use an electrician who knows about boat electrics.

I would have guessed that the humidity of the air at this time of year is likely to discharge static generated by friction on carpets etc. pretty quickly.

Nick

Before you do anything else disconnect the shorepower now, then get it checked.

If you then use the inverter there might still be a danger.

N

For safetys sake i would echo the same advice, and get your earth bonding checked, but on the other side of the coin, i have had several static shocks recently from a variety of things including my car door, i have put it down to wearing a lot more layers of man made fibres due to the cold weather along with rubber soled boots that dont allow a natural path to earth.

Rick

Cheers folks. I've unplugged myself from the shore line and just come back in and touched my burner and got a shock off it. Does anyone have any idea what that means?

I have no other power source on the boat, I took my batteries out last week. I haven't got any new carpets or anything like that. I have been using a lot of power recently, a belt sander and the vac at the same time for hours at a time, and I've got loads of things plugged in all over the place.

ETA: How do I check if I've got a galvanic whatsit?

Edited by Emily

Cheers folks. I've unplugged myself from the shore line and just come back in and touched my burner and got a shock off it. Does anyone have any idea what that means?

I have no other power source on the boat, I took my batteries out last week. I haven't got any new carpets or anything like that. I have been using a lot of power recently, a belt sander and the vac at the same time for hours at a time, and I've got loads of things plugged in all over the place.

ETA: How do I check if I've got a galvanic whatsit?

if you are unplugged and still getting it, they are static shocks I get them constantly if I take my wife shopping I get buzzed constantly from the trolly and the metal shelves I can also stop a watch if I wear one, if you do it in the dark you will see little blue sparks jumping from the metal to you layers of extra cloth,s are a strong possibility especially if made of nylon

Hmm... I'm gonna change me jumper and prod the burner and get back to you. ;)

If I'm not plugged into the shoreline (sorry for being thick), and it's still happening, does this mean I can stop being freaked out now?

It certainly sounds like static. There should be an RCD (residual current device) where you plug in your shoreline also one on your boat near to where the shoreline enters it. Either or both would trip if there is any mains leakage from live to earth.

I used to work in a textiles factory, many years ago. The friction, as the synthetic fabric was processed, built up some very impressive static charges that could go through your boots. Or, could be discharged through an unsuspecting work colleague. The elbow electrode was the least painful way of discharging to victim. smile.png

• Greenie 1

Right, changed me jumpers & trousers, cotton only, power still off, still getting shocks. It's a mystery. I think I'll go and plug my power back in, if this shows it isn't an electrical fault...? I've got no candles :(

Right, changed me jumpers & trousers, cotton only, power still off, still getting shocks. It's a mystery. I think I'll go and plug my power back in, if this shows it isn't an electrical fault...? I've got no candles sad.png

Apparently, very dry air can be a contributory factor. If you have the stove going this can reduce the humidity quit a lot. Now, water and electrics don't mix, but perhaps you could try placing a few containers of water around to try and humidify the air. Making sure that these containers are out of the way and standing stable.

Right, changed me jumpers & trousers, cotton only, power still off, still getting shocks. It's a mystery. I think I'll go and plug my power back in, if this shows it isn't an electrical fault...? I've got no candles sad.png

You couldnt come down here and hold my shoreline could you? save me a fortune!

Rick