Anyone know a good signwriter?

Neil2

Featured Posts

On my list of jobs to get done this year is to renovate and alter slightly the "fancy" writing on the back panels of our boat. I want to change the lettering but retain the exact style which I think I'm right in saying is a sort of scumbling where you see the brush strokes, it's quite distinctive and I want someone who can match the new text to the original.

We're moored at Calcutt on the GU, I presume there must be a few painters who work in that area but it is important to find someone who can imitate the style of the original painter.

On my list of jobs to get done this year is to renovate and alter slightly the "fancy" writing on the back panels of our boat. I want to change the lettering but retain the exact style which I think I'm right in saying is a sort of scumbling where you see the brush strokes, it's quite distinctive and I want someone who can match the new text to the original.

We're moored at Calcutt on the GU, I presume there must be a few painters who work in that area but it is important to find someone who can imitate the style of the original painter.

I don't know if he covers your area but Dave Moore of this parish seems to be heald in high regard.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=3041

Edited by The Dog House

I don't know if he covers your area but Dave Moore of this parish seems to be held in high regard.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=3041

Absolutely agree with this and if you want to frighten yourself (tongue.png Dave) then here is the man in action http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/home/index.php/painting

Roger

Another vote here for Dave Moore. I've never commissioned actual sign writing from him before, but he has done me a few other bits and they were of great quality. I've seen plenty of his sign writing he's done for other people and I know that when I next need some doing it will be him I turn to.

Really nice guy as well. I collected my bits from his house and he was very generous with the refreshments and willing to show me around his lovely house which is a bit of an alladins cave. It's worth a trip just to see his scumbled garage doors!

Thanks to all of you who so kindly endorsed my work, it's nice to receive such compliments. I'd be happy to look at the existing work if the OP is interested, but signwriting is a bit like handwriting in some respects,,every writer has their own take on letters, scrolls etc which is what makes our work individual and characteristic. It's possible to trace and photograph the original work before reinstating it, which should enable something pretty close to emerge, though I'd hesitate to call it a forgery!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks to all of you who so kindly endorsed my work, it's nice to receive such compliments. I'd be happy to look at the existing work if the OP is interested, but signwriting is a bit like handwriting in some respects,,every writer has their own take on letters, scrolls etc which is what makes our work individual and characteristic. It's possible to trace and photograph the original work before reinstating it, which should enable something pretty close to emerge, though I'd hesitate to call it a forgery!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave , yes, this was the reason I emphasised the point about matching the existing work. At some point in the boats life the original text has been changed and whoever did it - it might well have been the original signwriter - made a pretty good job of it but possibly because I know it has been changed, I can tell the difference. It might be better to start from scratch if a reasonable facsimile can be created. It might be seen as an unusual request but the boat has an interesting provenance and I'd like to keep it looking as it was on day one.

I should have said the last item on my to do list is "somehow find the money for all the above..." Priority is the non cosmetic stuff but when I get sorted I'll send a picture of the panel in question so it makes more sense.

BTW you do have some fan club there..!

BTW you do have some fan club there..!

Yep. You can include me as well. Quite apart from the evident skill, I also admire his ability to work in awkward positions for hours on end.

P1080711_zpsucf2hwcg.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

Ha ! Well thanks a bunch for not giving this old man a vote! As it happens if my mate Dave is doing it that`s fine by me - got to keep the old gimmer in red wine and whisky after all. However don`t forget folks even though I live in snowy Argyll I have not retired and my location is my problem - not the customers. I arrange trips round a number of jobs to make things economical for all concerned.

Just realized this probably constitutes an advert.That being so chaps please free to bin it, no offence meant.

I think Phil deserves a mention. He has sign written two boats for us and both times he has exceeded our expectations. As well as his sign writing, his work on cans, dippers, back doors and cabins is excellent. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Any chance of a photo? This seems an interesting style you describe that I can't recall ever seeing.

The writing on Reg was done by Trevor Council*. He seems very tuned in to old styles of signwriting.

MtB

*Still don't know if this is the way his surname is spelled...

Shirley a female sheep is a ewe...

A gimmer becomes a ewe when it has had lambs. There, ewe learn something every day.

Any chance of a photo? This seems an interesting style you describe that I can't recall ever seeing.

The writing on Reg was done by Trevor Council*. He seems very tuned in to old styles of signwriting.

MtB

*Still don't know if this is the way his surname is spelled...

I've trawled through my photos and I haven't got a good one that illustrates the style, I'm not sure I'm using the right term with "scumbling" but the block lettering is sort of washed out and the brush strokes are evident. Sadly I am 440 miles away so a quick photo is sort of problematic but next time you are at Calcutt she's on the same block that Reginald was, down by the bridge or she should be... Whilst you're there could you check if my solar panel is still on the roof?

(Before you ask no I'm not giving you forty quid!)