Good job nobody was cruising by...

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

clapping.gif

...although I think the report said that the lorry had now been removed (how?)

Probably by using 2 or 3 large recovery trucks winching it back onto more firm ground from the roadside. I wonder if there's any significant damage to the canal or bankside/towpath, if so then I imagine it will be an interesting/expensive insurance claim.

for those interested in fishing, should be some good sized fish near by in the spring - apparently the truck was carrying a load of sugar beets :)

glad no one was hurt - wouldn't be cracking light hearted remarks if there was

Edited by Bettie Boo

Going to be an "interesting" recovery, as there isn't a lot of room along there for much heavy equipment.

I've got to drive that way tomorrow, so shall see what's what.

Last couple of nights it has been very cold around here and some of the roads have been very slippery.

Going to be an "interesting" recovery, as there isn't a lot of room along there for much heavy equipment.

If an articulated lorry can get along there then a crane should be able to. The fifth wheel release handle is on the offside of the truck and accessible so they'll almost certainly pull that and lift the tractor unit out first, then the trailer. Each will only weigh about eight tonnes so they won't need the world's biggest crane.

Going to be recovered on Wednesday

I'll be going past late morning, but suspect they will do it tomorrow night since that road is so busy in the daytime and there aren't any easy diversionary routes.

Read elsewhere that it looks like he rubbed along the Armco for quite some distances before he toppled over,

If an articulated lorry can get along there then a crane should be able to. The fifth wheel release handle is on the offside of the truck and accessible so they'll almost certainly pull that and lift the tractor unit out first, then the trailer. Each will only weigh about eight tonnes so they won't need the world's biggest crane.

The trailer is loaded!!

"The lorry is likely to remain in the canal for another day"

- as our licence is 650 Pounds/year for a 40-footer, I'd say CRT should be looking at 3.50 Pounds for a 2-day short mooring permit for this 'professional' driver - (#########)... Good to see them sporting the British flag... perhaps this was a demonstration to point out that Britain's economy is sinking?

Edited by DHutch
Racial comment removed.

It was loaded, but I imagine 28 tonnes of sugar beet wouldn't have had too much trouble making its way out through a vinyl sheet.

They were pumping (??) the load out yesterday.

Not sure how you pump out large turnip sized lumps, unless it was granulated.

They were pumping (??) the load out yesterday.

Not sure how you pump out large turnip sized lumps, unless it was granulated.

The been article details it as sugar beet pellets, which are created as a by product and used as animal feed.

Daniel