To fix or not to fix?

Featured Posts

I'm thinking about getting a 22" TV. As much as I try not to bump into stuff when steering, it happens and I can come down below and find drawers open and occasionally stuff on the floor. My question is would I need to fix the TV in some way.

What do you knowledgeable folk do?

A lot of TVs come with a short strap that fixes to the stand, with a hole at the other end to screw to the shelf or the wall behind it. We find that is good enough although we do move it to the floor for rough waters such as through London.

Folding wall arm too, located so that it can swing out of the doors into the cratch area as well so outdoor dining with sporting entertainment can continue during the summer.

My ecofan became an expert at double salko twists off the stove. Solution was provided with a nice bottle of Rioja. The very thin wire decorating the bottle was used to tether the ecofan to the flue. During voyages, the ecofan now travels round the top of the stove, but never off it.

Edited by matty40s

I'm thinking about getting a 22" TV. As much as I try not to bump into stuff when steering, it happens and I can come down below and find drawers open and occasionally stuff on the floor. My question is would I need to fix the TV in some way.

What do you knowledgeable folk do?

You could use velcro tape if you wanted it to be fixed, but not too permanently fixed or easily moved fixed.

Just get rid of the TV.

It's what we did after it had thrown itself to the floor once too often for our liking smile.png

Another alternative would be get rid of the boat....

We have our telly fixed to the wall on a bracket. We don't watch it a great deal but is good for DVD's.

Mine just sits on it's stand on top of a cupboard. The only time I've moved it was to put it on the floor when going on the tidal Thames. I once had to get a friend to unclip my Aladdin hanging paraffin lamp and put it in the sink because it was getting so rough that the lamp was smashing into the cabin wall. If it's that bad I'd move the tv but on a canal or non-tidal river I wouldn't even worry about it.

I too have added bulldog clips to my ecofan.

Shame I didn't do the same to my fruitbowl when I came up the avon from Bristol the other day. Coming into the lock landing for Saltford lock the current off of the weir was immense, and it was all I could do to get through in something resembling a straight line, slowing down for the landing stage was not really an option...

I've got 2 TVs, both attached to the wall. They are going nowhere. Clearly, if you merely stand a slim TV on a shelf, or cupboard, or whatever, on a boat, it will fall over now and then.

Wonderful. You watch them both at once on different channels?

Like David Bowie in 'Man Who Fell To Earth'??

:)

MtB

I haven't had a tv since moving on to my boat. On the odd occasion that I am at a place that has such a contraption (hotel, house bound friends, etc) Im quickly reminded why I dont miss the bloody thing at all.

I watch what ever I what to watch, on the laptop.

why do the tv companies think that I want to watch drivel all day, and night???

I too have added bulldog clips to my ecofan.

Shame I didn't do the same to my fruitbowl when I came up the avon from Bristol the other day. Coming into the lock landing for Saltford lock the current off of the weir was immense, and it was all I could do to get through in something resembling a straight line, slowing down for the landing stage was not really an option...

Saltford lock iz a bxxger to approach upstream, make no mistake. One of very few place I never fully mastered confidently, not helped by my 68' boats reverse being feeble to be honest.

Approaching downstream can be tricky too...

why do the tv companies think that I want to watch drivel all day, and night???

They think they know how you think. Or rather, don't think.

Scary how many people DO think how they think they think.

Nice wine this,

MtB

Like Blackrose, our tv's sit on the stands they came with onto of the built in cabinets in the saloon and bedroom, the eco fan sits on top of the stove year round.

Neither have been an issue yet; but after reading this thread, I'm thinking maybe put a velcro clip on the one in the saloon so it is somewhat attached to the wall PEIRNdP.jpg

Am I the only person who finds the sight of a large tv on boat sad? It just seems to turn it into a.. a .. living room? ?

ahhh but it IS my livingroom icecream.gif

would be like saying seeing a sink in the galley makes it look like a kitchen, or a bed in the back room makes it look like a bedroom ... see where I'm going with this frusty.gif

Funny that, the loo in the room with a sink and shower, kinda makes it look like a bathroom as well help.gif

ahhh but it IS my livingroom icecream.gif

would be like saying seeing a sink in the galley makes it look like a kitchen, or a bed in the back room makes it look like a bedroom ... see where I'm going with this frusty.gif

Funny that, the loo in the room with a sink and shower, kinda makes it look like a bathroom as well help.gif

Yeah,but you live on a wide beam...

on the canal.