Another nail in the coffin?

Featured Posts

I know this is from the Dark Side but still worth reading:

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/7629-marina-owner-prosecuted-over-fire

When we were in the drydock at Sherborne in 2013 they allowed us to stay on board because we were 'known' to the engineer. What chance next time?

It fails (again) to tell the whole story. What work was being carried out? was the workshop locked? It looks like a timber shed so were they told not to have a fire in?? so many unanswered questions.

As far as I know many people stay on their boat during maintenance/blacking. Yes I know some sites don't let you stay on your boat, but is there a particular reason for this?

Edited by Pete & Helen

That is very old news, it happened more than a year ago. I am also a bit surprised that the Safety Inspectors did not return to the dock to satisfy themselves that the recommendatins had been undertaken,

I always stay on our boat when it is docked at Braunston, and remember one year when the Safety Inspectors came to check that all the fire regulation requirements were in place, They were.

Edited by David Schweizer

The marina was prosecuted for failing to take general fire precautions, failing to make a fire risk assessment and failing to maintain a fire evacuation procedure. All of these would be offences whether or not people are allowed to sleep on the boat.

But the judge concluded that had a fire risk assessment been done, it would (in his opinion) have concluded that the risks of allowing people to sleep on board was unacceptably high. This does leave the door open for another dock owner to carry our a risk assessment, and adopt such measures as may be necessary to reduce the risk to an acceptable level. Such measures might include banning the use of stoves and cooking appliances while in the dock, or ensuring that flammable materials are not stored in the building, and both of these would be less of an issue in an open (unroofed) dock. As to whether any dry dock owner will take such an approach, only time will tell.

I would tell the fire offers to F*** Off.

You would not win this.

Your insurance company would abandon you, probably for all insurance matters and

a prohibition notice would be issued which if you deliberately went against would invoke:-

(Quote from govenment web site:-)

Penalties

You could be fined or go to prison if you don’t follow fire safety regulations.

Minor penalties can be up to £5,000. Major penalties can have unlimited fines and up to 2 years in prison.

You would not win this.

Your insurance company would abandon you, probably for all insurance matters and

a prohibition notice would be issued which if you deliberately went against would invoke:-

(Quote from govenment web site:-)

Penalties

You could be fined or go to prison if you don’t follow fire safety regulations.

Minor penalties can be up to £5,000. Major penalties can have unlimited fines and up to 2 years in prison.

Better lock up all the Tesco managers and close down all their stores.

Yes

And that reason is?

When the regulations first came in our local brigade toured businesses large and small checking they knew about the regs and giving help if they hadn't conformed. I fail to see how an operation the size of Tesco could be missed.

I know incidentally as I wrote three for our businesses and a friends business, I am also from a brigade family.

I've often stayed on customer's boats when working on them, but have been refused by some yards when in dock, always citing insurance restrictions. Usually the smarter, more modern yards are more rigorous in this respect.

Dave

At NC you can't stay on a boat in the floating dock, you can if it's on the side, outside (if that makes any kind of sense). It's bloody spooky down that yard at night though with that big old shed creaking as it cools. unsure.png

Having people staying on the boat while it is in dock must increase the risk of fire to the premise.

They'll be using gas for cooking(?), maybe have a fire lit for heating(?), using electric(?).

All carries higher risk than a boat in dock, non occupied with the batteries isolated and the gas shut off.

Having people staying on the boat while it is in dock must increase the risk of fire to the premise.

They'll be using gas for cooking(?), maybe have a fire lit for heating(?), using electric(?).

All carries higher risk than a boat in dock, non occupied with the batteries isolated and the gas shut off.

Why is someone cooking their dinner on a calor gas stove any more dangerous than someone in the dock brandishing a welding torch? muddled thinking.

Why is someone cooking their dinner on a calor gas stove any more dangerous than someone in the dock brandishing a welding torch? muddled thinking.

huh.png Why is it muddled thinking?

Boat out on the cut has a problem with gas supply/cooker etc. Boat catches fire - boat burns.

Boat in dock has a problem with gas supply/cooker etc. Boat catches fire - boat burns - dock burns - occupants have increased difficuly getting out of boat/out of dock/out of premise. All increased risk that the insurers would probably not pay up for.

Person working on boat with gas axe welding torch (call it what you will) and they will/should have a proper fire watch, extingishers etc (as per a fire risk assessment)

Boat out on the cut has a problem with gas supply/cooker etc. Boat catches fire - boat burns.

Boat in dock has a problem with gas supply/cooker etc. Boat catches fire - boat burns - dock burns - occupants have increased difficuly getting out of boat/out of dock/out of premise. All increased risk that the insurers would probably not pay up for.

Person working on boat with gas axe welding torch (call it what you will) and they will/should have a proper fire watch, extingishers etc (as per a fire risk assessment)

It sounds like the marina owner hadn't done any form of risk assessment which is doubtless why they are throwing the book at him.

Edited by Neil2

Person on a rally catches fire, sets all the boats there on fire, sets local town on fire,,,,,,,,

Or they turn off the gas supply, which is what the tap next to the cooker is for.