Ecofan fan fixing screw

MtB

Featured Posts

Ok thanks, just got my imperial Allen key set out.

Interestingly the key labelled 1/16" actually measures 0.0665" across the flats. 1/16" is a bit less than that at 0.0625" but even so, it spins freely around freely in the grubscrew.

The next size up in the set is labelled 5/64" and measures 0.083". Too big to fit.

No intermediate imperial sizes so I looked back to metric. My 1.5mm metric Allen key actually measures 1.68mm (0.062") and is too small. It spins freely in the slot. The next size up in my set is nominally 2.0mm and measures 2.04mm (0.082") Same size near as dammit as the 5/64" key. Too big.

A brief search of the net shows there are no intermediate sizes of Allen key so I tried Cereal Tiller's suggestion of cutting a slot for a flat blade screwdriver in the head of the grubscrew. The metal is too hard for a hacksaw blade to cut. I now have a blunt hacksaw blade.

Finally, looking at a UNC thread spec chart I think adrianh is correct. My measurements coincide almost exactly with UNC #6, 32TPI and major diameter of 3.5mm. I'll order one from his link, WITH Allen key to fit. Thanks Adrian!

MtB

Place the blunt Hacksaw blade back in the packet with the other 9 and return them to Poundland.

Just be firm,remain civil and remind them of your consumer rights!

CT

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, an update.

After a LOAD of faffing about (with lost packages, wrong address etc) I finally received the consignment of No6 UNC grub screws I ordered. Yay!!!

However, two problems immediately emerge:

1) Although these new grub screws seem to be the right size, the sockets in the head are same weird size as the original. No key fits.

2) I've lost the Ecofan

blush.png

I'll get there one day....

MtB

Yes it 'looks like' a Whitworth thread even though they fell from use before I left skool!

Really odd if it is, on a fan manufactured in about 2008.

And Biz's idea of filing down the Allen key that won't fit seems a non-starter, I'd have thought. Allen keys are made from wonderfully hard and strong steel so I didn't even try a file on one, but I will. If it won't touch it as I suspect, I'll dig out an oilstone and use the coarse side. As 1.5mm spins in the hole yet 1/16" won't go in, it isn't going to need much material removing!

MtB

When you have an allen key to fit loctite the thread.

Ok guys, an update.

After a LOAD of faffing about (with lost packages, wrong address etc) I finally received the consignment of No6 UNC grub screws I ordered. Yay!!!

However, two problems immediately emerge:

1) Although these new grub screws seem to be the right size, the sockets in the head are same weird size as the original. No key fits.

2) I've lost the Ecofan

blush.png

I'll get there one day....

MtB

Out of interest, why didnt you order the right screw thread, but with a different head (cheese or bolt or something that isnt a weird allen key!!)

Jay

Out of interest, why didnt you order the right screw thread, but with a different head (cheese or bolt or something that isnt a weird allen key!!)

Jay

Errr... coz I'm an idiot. Blindingly good idea, obvious now you've said it!!!!!!

I suppose I was expecting the socket head on my existing grub screw to be defective actually. However I've found the Ecofan now, and yes the new grub screws do fit so the thread IS 6 UNC. I've ordered a 1.6mm Allen key now as the supposed 1.6mm Allen key I have here measures 1.48mm. I think this may have been the problem all along.

MtB

Ah I see.

It's all coming back to me too. :Last year I established it was 1.6mm metric Allen key and I bought one on the net which was 1.5mm when it arrived. Same happened a second time around when I bought another from a different seller. If the 1.6mm key I ordered yesterday turns out to be 1.5mm when it arrives then perhaps I'll take you up on your offer, thanks!

MtB

Whats gone wrong with this forum? 2 pages on Ecofans without the slightest hint of abuse.

Here goes.

Oy - ecofanboy. People who believe that ecofans actually work are deluded fantasists.

(p.s. I believe that they work)

In case anyone is in a similar position re hex keys try Technasales in Farnborough. You'll find that they stock hex keys in 0.1mm increments around many sizes (so I can get 1.2mm, 1.3mm, 1.4mm, 1.5mm., 1.6mm and 1.7mm as well as 1/16") so you can choose keys that are a snug fit in specific screws.

You will need to ring them as the web site is limited

Ray

• 1 year later...

Why did my Halfrauds 'professional' tool kit come with no T25 socket? It contains T21, T22, T23, T24, T26, T27...

T25 is one of the most common sizes... why miss it out? Just so's I'll go in and buy one?

Why did my Halfrauds 'professional' tool kit come with no T25 socket? It contains T21, T22, T23, T24, T26, T27...

T25 is one of the most common sizes... why miss it out? Just so's I'll go in and buy one?

I misread your post as saying your tool kit came without a 25mm socket. My imagination was running riot at the apparent size of your ecofan :)

I have just pulled the hedge trimmer to bits and that was a T20

Just looked at my ecofan and it looks more like a torx head rather than an allen head............

Need to get the torx driver and the fan in the same location to test my sight.

Edited by Loddon