NBTA Press release: Distance not important in continuous cruising

NBTA London

Featured Posts

It really is time that CRT crafted new legislation and put it before parliament to allow them to deal with those that "play the system" .The EA did just that with their Transport and Works Order. The old act just was not crafted with the current use of the waterways in mind... I've lit the blue touch paper...time to enjoy the fireworks!!!

plus one I have said the same thing on other threads its broke so fix it properly

Peter

Well I

Well when you're ready you might give us some real life examples of where you've been adversely affected...until then...it's difficult to find ways to appease you...

You only have to go boating...you know as in move your boat...to see how quite a few places have now become "home" to CM'ers. We certainly experienced quite a few such places as we covered some 800 odd miles in the summer. Having lived aboard for the lat 20 odd years I feel that something needs to be done before some of the system is just a boat park. I have no problem with those that cruise but if you need to stay in one place then get a mooring....it's really quite simple!

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 2

Read the post....... As I don't constantly Moore in London ( bet you do though eh?) I would not dream of cruising into a London and hope to use the water ways and canals as they should be used. I would be far to wary of not finding a space and be forced to just cruise and cruise all night.

So you haven't actually experienced a problem then...I'm not being awkward...just trying to find out what your problem is...

You only have to go boating...you know as in move your boat...to see how quite a few places have now become "home" to CM'ers. We certainly experienced quite a few such places as we covered some 800 odd miles in the summer.

How did that adversely affect you?

I notice from the NBTA website that their headline objective is 'Representing the needs of all itinerant live-aboard boaters' - can someone remind me of the meaning for the word itinerant - I thought I knew but it doesn't seem to fit in with this thread.

Itinerant - meaning, stay put as long as possible, then do a short cruise shuffle with one of your mates when the CRT officer turns up.( If your a liveaboard boater in London)

For everyone else it means traveller or wanderer

Well I

You only have to go boating...you know as in move your boat...to see how quite a few places have now become "home" to CM'ers. We certainly experienced quite a few such places as we covered some 800 odd miles in the summer. Having lived aboard for the lat 20 odd years I feel that something needs to be done before some of the system is just a boat park. I have no problem with those that cruise but if you need to stay in one place then get a mooring....it's really quite simple!

Cheers

Gareth

...so are you saying you couldn't find a mooring?

Ok, hands up...London is a special case (and there are a few others)...but my beef is that I get annoyed when people push for global changes when it's just a local problem...

My suggestion to those who have problems finding a mooring in London is to lobby for affordable homes....simple...

So you haven't actually experienced a problem then...I'm not being awkward...just trying to find out what your problem is...

My problem is that after spending many weeks walking the tow paths of London over the last few years, I would not feel happy to cruise into London after seeing how difficult it will be to find a mooring.

My problem is that after paying a license fee, a large part of the UK waterways ( which my license fee helps to pay for) would not be available for me to use.

...so are you saying you couldn't find a mooring?

Ok, hands up...London is a special case (and there are a few others)...but my beef is that I get annoyed when people push for global changes when it's just a local problem...

My suggestion to those who have problems finding a mooring in London is to lobby for affordable homes....simple...

Now I see what your problem is. You can't afford to live in a house in a London so you blame the people that want to use your God given space on the London water ways for what it's supposed to be used for.

You are exactly the "type" that my original post is directed at. It's never your fault is it?

Here's a tip, get out there and get another paper round, stop whining and save up.

Now I see what your problem is. You can't afford to live in a house in a London so you blame the people that want to use your God given space on the London water ways for what it's supposed to be used for.

You are exactly the "type" that my original post is directed at. It's never your fault is it?

Here's a tip, get out there and get another paper round, stop whining and save up.

...are you a troll?

...are you a troll?

....your evidence that visitor moorings RULES are being contravened please??

Have you seen Little Venice? If you have and don't appreciate what is going on there, you shouldn't say so.

Regularly, indeed 3 times on boats this year, twice having no problem late evening getting a mooring in Paddington and once breasting up at Little Venice- which has been commonplace practice for years.

I also think your comments to Bassplayer are out of order, he has done most of the Midlands and North this year .

Edited by matty40s

Regularly, indeed 3 times on boats this year, twice having no problem late evening getting a mooring in Paddington and once breasting up at Little Venice- which has been commonplace practice for years.

I also think your comments to Bassplayer are out of order, he has done most of the Midlands and North this year .

My comments are perfectly in order....my perception is my reality and my perception of Bassplayer was created by him.

As I understand it, CaRT aren't allowed to propose their own legislation

OTOH didn't I see they're taking over some of EA's waterways? I wonder if they didn't require a change in the controlling legislation as part of that .... for example that they "inherit" some (perhaps newly crafted) EA legislation that suits them better? That's certainly what I'd do in their shoes.

No, CaRT aren't taking over EA waterways. They thought they'd like to - but the Gov't won't give them enough money and on some navigations there are considerable legal hurdles.

Folks on the Thames would / will object strongly (if they bother to get off their Fundaments)...

• Greenie 1

No, CaRT aren't taking over EA waterways. They thought they'd like to - but the Gov't won't give them enough money and on some navigations there are considerable legal hurdles.

Folks on the Thames would / will object strongly (if they bother to get off their Fundaments)...

/sigh - I can't find the article/post that made me think CaRT were taking over some EA waterways. It might have been out of date or inaccurate. FWIW it made sense: CaRT were to get some minor waterways, but not all - certainly not the Thames.

Anyway it's not among CaRT's new articles going back as long as I've ever scanned, so it's not worth discussing - I've blanked out my the original post (is there a way to delete it?).

Edited by Gordias

Actually I believe after the flooding this year there have been more meetings exploring the feasibility of CRT taking over the EA navigations and talks are probably ongoing. I believe The CEO is keen on the idea.

As I understand it the latest proposal is to split EA up into navigation / infrastructure and Flooding / pollution control, with CRT having the navigation etc and a new EA having the pollution control etc. including on CRT waters. I am not sure where our friends in English Nature get to put their oar in. What relevance this has to moorings I know not.

One thought though is it will need parliamentary legislation and what better place and time to change the system

quite right, pee off the side through tunnels and boil kettle whilst going down in the lock....make tea in the next lock and .....

well, that's what Nigel tells me anyway.

As long as you don't do it off the wrong side when passing each other in a tunnel.....

Are you a"cc.er"?

If so you can't really say that when you are part of an existing 'linear boat home park' can you??

Or is it the old 'shut the door behind you old boy don't want anyone else living on the towpath do we'

Presumably that is if he comes up with the money before someone pays the £4950 it is advertised on ApolloDuck for.

And I thought it was formerly advertised for £8000 pounds!

And I thought it was formerly advertised for £8000 pounds! Going down possibly in more ways than one.

As I understand it the latest proposal is to split EA up into navigation / infrastructure and Flooding / pollution control, with CRT having the navigation etc and a new EA having the pollution control etc. including on CRT waters. I am not sure where our friends in English Nature get to put their oar in. What relevance this has to moorings I know not.

One thought though is it will need parliamentary legislation and what better place and time to change the system

One thought though is it will need parliamentary legislation and what better place and time to change the system - and God help us all if CaRT gets its hands on the Ea waters - monitoring rivers is definitely not its best skill!

And i think all the recording going on is just helping form the plan and test demand for when they finally get round to charging market rate for towpath moorings. Seems a no brainer to me but i know it is not simple.

And here you may well not be a million miles off the mark!

Although it's not strictly 'on topic', I would like to ask anyone taking an interest in this thread to spare some time considering the current situation of the man whose courageous and selfless actions brought about the handing down of this Judgement, potentially of great help to many, but sadly not to Geoff Mayers himself.

Geoff provoked BW / C&RT into taking legal action against him for the sole purpose of obtaining a Court ruling on the legality and enforceability of the CC'ing Guidelines. Unfortunately he went about it in a way that denied the Court the ability to make such a ruling in his particular case, and based the argument of his case on honesty, common decency and moral rights and wrongs, after handing C&RT all the ammunition they needed by failing to comply with the Statutory requirements as opposed to the CC'ing Guidelines.

The end result, albeit not the one approved and ordered by the Court, was that Geoff was evicted from his boat in Northwich by C&RT Enforcement Staff and it was then craned on to a low- loader, driven some 250 miles to South of Gloucester and craned back into the G&S Canal where it now lies in a semi-derelict and sinking condition. Having turned it into a wreck, C&RT have very kindly offered to let him have his boat back if he pays them the cost of all the craneage, transport and storage.

If anyone would like to know more about this and/or express any opinions on the matter, then I will be glad to start a new topic if the mod.'s so wish, or it can be continued here.

Had Geoff Meyers been causing a problem for other boaters by taking up popular mooring space I could have to a degree understood CaRT's wish to remove his boat. He wasn't, so I'm afraid I don't understand the vitriolic stance the trust has taken. Taking a man's home and leaving him on a towpath with his cat isn't at all nice in my opinion. To then move his boat to the G&S I see as being totally unnecessary, cruel in fact when the boat could have been stored at Northwich. So now we have a man at this time made homeless, a man who only wished to be close to his sick mother, a ruddy great debt created and increasing weekly for a boat that has been done no favours at all by being transported, a wooden boat, for goodness sake! I have to ask what has actually been achieved here? Someone is going to have to pay for that transportation, craneage and the boats current storage - using electric pumps - and it won't be Geoff Meyers! Spare a thought for Geoff indeed!

• Greenie 1

Arggggggggghhhhhhhh. All together, with Nigel Moore.

When CaRT were created, they lost the ability to obtain primary legislation. There is no political will to create new waterways legislation. The law is not going to be changed, it is pointless going on about it.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has personally been negatively affected by this "problem" that seemingly needs £s chucking at it.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has personally been negatively affected by this "problem" that seemingly needs £s chucking at it.

Why must we be personally affected to have an opinion about it?

Plenty of posters seem to have opinions in the thread about the disabled bloke barred from the bus without themselves being disabled. Maybe you should nip over onto that thread and put them all straight.

MtB