Have we really become so dependant on virtual contact

muddywaters

Featured Posts

What has the title of this thread got to do with boating I hear you ask.

Well I drop my phone and break it so no Facebook for four days.

And there are posts in Facebook boater groups have you seen this boat

I wouldn't say dependant but it's very useful if you have a message you want to get to a lot of people who may be on the move.

I hope your phone is all better now, did you drop whilst boating then you may be forgiven for posting in GB. biggrin.png

Edited by Dyad

What has the title of this thread got to do with boating I hear you ask.

Well I drop my phone and break it so no Facebook for four days.

And there are posts in Facebook boater groups have you seen this boat

Looking at the above post I see reference to boating in line 1

Line 2 expands in that he's dropped his phone but....

Line 3 brings it back into boating with a question...or at least I think its a question, difficult to say as no question mark.

So if we assume given tone and content that its a question and the question being

"Have you seen this boat? I must ask since not a follower of Facebook

"What boat, Where?"

Since I cannot provide answer without facts I must respectfully request clarification of line 3.

Thankyou.

• Greenie 1

To me it looks like he is saying, because he has been off Facebook for 4 days people are panicking because he hasn't posted

Or he feels out of the loop without FB and the like, I would too as family and friends are not local

I'm not really sure what was meant by the OP, but in answer to the titles question...yes

Being from a different country, and now living & moving constantly on a boat; it is quite often the only method of communication I have with friends & family back in Canada, as well as friends and Dave's family here in England. As not many of them live near the canals boat.gif

We rely heavily on the internet for our day to day lives now. Whether it being looking at google maps to find shops & services in our current location, banking is now all done on line, keeping in contact with people we have met and befriended along the tow paths, looking up suppliers of boat parts & services, researching online how to repair things when they break down, staying informed as to stoppages both unplanned and planned, some grocery shopping, and of course most importantly receiving virtual Christmas cards icecream.gif

ETA a few missing words

Edited by Bettie Boo

To me it looks like he is saying, because he has been off Facebook for 4 days people are panicking because he hasn't posted

I think you might be right, but I've only put 2 & 2 together as a result of your post, not the OP's.

There's been a few posts on some of the FB groups in the last few days from people worries about a certain person as they've not been seen (virtually?) for a few days. Perhaps this is the OP, in which case it makes sense.

I don't use facebook and nor does my wife !

Bit upsettling that it has even found its way onto CWF, there seems to be a login 'facebook' option.

This is bang out of order. Its all wrong. why oh why oh why its an outrage the way the internet is so dominant :rolleyes: it should be taxed

What is multitasking ?

no, that's not fair, I see yummy mummies driving chelsea tractors taking the kids to school and holding their mobile phone against their ear every schoolday. They seem to be remarkably good at it.

........................ on second thoughts maybe we should rename 'school-run/rush hour' to 'black hour' because it's so bl**dy dangerous on the roads at that time of day.

I think you might be right, but I've only put 2 & 2 together as a result of your post, not the OP's.

There's been a few posts on some of the FB groups in the last few days from people worries about a certain person as they've not been seen (virtually?) for a few days. Perhaps this is the OP, in which case it makes sense.

Yes the penny has just dropped.

I've witnessed this sort of thing before, folk who spend a lot of time on the 'net suddenly disappear from the radar and other folk who seem to spend their entire lives on the net panic and start a missing persons search instead of thinking perhaps the absentee has found something more interesting to do with their time or, yes, maybe just dropped their phone.

It's never likely to happen on this forum.