1975 springer 4mm hull

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

Before you buy it (if you intend to so so) phone around the Insurance companies.

Apparently some are reluctant to insure Springers, and some will not insure a boat with less than 4mm thickness.

The Springer WaterBugs were bult with metal as thin as 3.75mm.

Other models could be 4mm, 5mm or 6mm depending on what Gas Manometers, or other plate steel was available at the time.

I just had this boat surveyed and the lowest point is 3.5 mm

Did they use only 4mm on older springers.

thanks in advance

I don't know what they used, but the maximum thickness reading in the Survey Report is going to answer that question for you. There will be areas of the shell plating, for instance a few inches above the normal waterline where the plating will be neither worn nor corroded.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

A nominal 1/8th would be 3.2mm but "general purpose plate" is normally oversize, and generally sold by weight.

I have been led to believe that Springer "Bugs" were built with 1/8th plate that usually measured 3.75mm.

My boat bottom was built with 12mm steel, when it was surveyed a few years ago it was found (in most places) to be 13mm+ with the mimnimum measured at 12.5mm

Edited by Alan de Enfield

With the early Springers, and the Waterbugs, they didn't use steel any thicker than it had to be so it could well be 4mm and if it has only lost 0.5mm in 40 years that's pretty good steel isn't it.

The Waterbug I had was definitely made with 3mm plate, but I recall a conversation with "Tony Tugboats" the boat transporter who was perplexed why some waterbugs were easy to tow whereas others nearly collapsed the trailer. So Alan could well be right about a heavier guage being used, on some boats at least.

With an elderly Springer all that really matters is pitting, and the state of the welds.

With the early Springers, and the Waterbugs, they didn't use steel any thicker than it had to be so it could well be 4mm and if it has only lost 0.5mm in 40 years that's pretty good steel isn't it.

The Waterbug I had was definitely made with 3mm plate, but I recall a conversation with "Tony Tugboats" the boat transporter who was perplexed why some waterbugs were easy to tow whereas others nearly collapsed the trailer. So Alan could well be right about a heavier guage being used, on some boats at least.

Yes indeed - I was told this by a former Springer owner who had had his boat built new. He had opted to pay a higher price for thicker steel, so I guess this option was available on various Springer models.

Doubt the base plate would have been originally less than 6 mm.

Well being pedantic, they don't have a "base plate" in the conventional sense, being V bottomed.

Certainly many of the shorter Springers (in particular) are unlikely to have contained steel as thick as 6mm / 1/4", I think, but equally it has been established in many threads like this that many of the different styles they built did on occasions contain something thicker. I have a lingering memory that "Starry's" "Springy" is thicker than other similar boats - but I may just be inventing that, I admit!

Well being pedantic, they don't have a "base plate" in the conventional sense, being V bottomed.

Certainly many of the shorter Springers (in particular) are unlikely to have contained steel as thick as 6mm / 1/4", I think, but equally it has been established in many threads like this that many of the different styles they built did on occasions contain something thicker. I have a lingering memory that "Starry's" "Springy" is thicker than other similar boats - but I may just be inventing that, I admit!

Springy's hull was 5mm thick when I measured the core of the hole I drilled through it smile.png

That included the paint, mind!

biggrin.png

MtB

(Eidt to add, I was bloody nervous as I drilled from the inside outwards, and pleased to have found I measured right on breaking through, lol! DON'T tell Starry!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Agreed. Mine (Waterbug) has a keel of about 6 inches wide for about 3/4 of it's length, but I wouldn't want to try to balance the boat on it when out of the water! The hull is generally V shaped.

Springy's hull was 5mm thick when I measured the core of the hole I drilled through it smile.png

That included the paint, mind!

biggrin.png

MtB

(Eidt to add, I was bloody nervous as I drilled from the inside outwards, and pleased to have found I measured right on breaking through, lol! DON'T tell Starry!)

OI! Yes I still have my piece of Springy hull, 5.4mm I believe! Springy is in very good nick for his age (well, the prior owner did love him enough to die on him, I suppose...) but despite my survey, until I held that piece of metal in my hand, I didn't really "get" it.