Welfare Officer appointed.

twbm

Featured Posts

is this chap going to be expected to cover the entire CART system or will his activities concentrate on one particular waterway or region? if the latter, shall we see CART making similar appointments in various parts of the country?

I suspect they've done well getting the finance for one appointment approved. If it were me ...

I'd start by reviewing the current processes for identifying the vulnerable, which would amount to a review of the enforcement methodologies and hopefully the development of assessment protocols that not only promote a consistent approach but sort out the ones that need help from the ones that need action, and flag up the truly vulnerable for the attention of the welfare officer who could then focus his energy where needed. An equally important part of the role would be to mediate where enforcement action was being resisted or ignored and ensure the authorities actions were proportionate and justified.

I imagine he'll get to drive a fair few miles and get very familiar with Travelodges but one post might well be enough initially.

... and I've clearly been exposed to too much management-speak.

You seem to me to be implying the need for this has largely come about since the formation of CRT, rather than addressing a situation that is very much more historic than that?I can't possibly agree with that.The canals have for many years brought in a large number of people who could be considered "vulnerable" by any number of measures, and still would be however the authority in charge of the canals behaved. I surely don't need to list all potential issues, but as examples many people end up on boats after relationship break ups, with not enough resources to fund themselves. Similarly there are clearly problems with many boaters growing older, often with mounting health problems, but now locked into a lifestyle where they find it harder and harder to cope.Yes, of course these people should already have the support of various agencies not actually linked to their life on the canals, but in reality they often are unable or simply do not know how to access those services.I applaud the fact that the Trust have listened to the many organisations and individuals who have canvassed them that this is the way to go, and would urge people to support it as a genuine initiative that can bring direct benefit to some. I sincerely hope the doubters are wrong.

Greenie for an excellent summary of the situation.

Edited by BruceinSanity

I suspect they've done well getting the finance for one appointment approved. If it were me ...

I'd start by reviewing the current processes for identifying the vulnerable, which would amount to a review of the enforcement methodologies and hopefully the development of assessment protocols that not only promote a consistent approach but sort out the ones that need help from the ones that need action, and flag up the truly vulnerable for the attention of the welfare officer who could then focus his energy where needed. An equally important part of the role would be to mediate where enforcement action was being resisted or ignored and ensure the authorities actions were proportionate and justified.

I imagine he'll get to drive a fair few miles and get very familiar with Travelodges but one post might well be enough initially.

... and I've clearly been exposed to too much management-speak.

There is no reason why local CRT officers cannot support Sean by identifying those in need of his services, with Sean providing advice to them and only getting involved directly for the more serioush cases. Then if there is still sufficient demand, another post can be created.

That is how national support groups are often formed and expanded in large organisations after the initial need has been identified.

You seem to me to be implying the need for this has largely come about since the formation of CRT, rather than addressing a situation that is very much more historic than that?

I can't possibly agree with that.

The canals have for many years brought in a large number of people who could be considered "vulnerable" by any number of measures, and still would be however the authority in charge of the canals behaved. I surely don't need to list all potential issues, but as examples many people end up on boats after relationship break ups, with not enough resources to fund themselves. Similarly there are clearly problems with many boaters growing older, often with mounting health problems, but now locked into a lifestyle where they find it harder and harder to cope.

Yes, of course these people should already have the support of various agencies not actually linked to their life on the canals, but in reality they often are unable or simply do not know how to access those services.

I applaud the fact that the Trust have listened to the many organisations and individuals who have canvassed them that this is the way to go, and would urge people to support it as a genuine initiative that can bring direct benefit to some. I sincerely hope the doubters are wrong.

The need for such as a Welfare Officer has certainly become greater since the inception of C&RT.

I agree with most of what you say and haven't previously expressed any views to the contrary, but I cannot go along with the distinction you make from BW to C&RT. To me they are almost one and the same, although C&RT have shown a noticeably more aggressive approach to those perceived by them to be a 'problem' and I should have made that clearer in what I said earlier.

I hope the new appointment becomes effective and successful, but I have some doubts as to whether it will be allowed to.

I don't see the highways agency appointing a welfare officer for the M1. What is the difference?

ken

The M1 doesn't need a welfare officer, it's niether fallen on difficult times nor is it at risk of losing its home.

Unless that is you can tell us different.

I see this role as starting to co-ordinate the welfare, council depts, chaplains, enforcement into some sort of organised response.

This is not someone who will be walking towpaths for 95% of the time, although initially they may accompany current personel in their tours.

It is a role that is crucial to CRT's charitable status being viewed as "charitable and worthy", the person has many balls to juggle, and I don't envy them.

Boaters, whether "in crisis" or just boating, have needs, and if this appointment affects the number of water points and pump outs in London, then if nothing else, it will have achieved something.

I have had regular contact with a local chaplain in the Midlands, and they are stretched beyond voluntary belief. The liveaboard population is far higher than CRT statisically record, or know about. It really is about time they had regular liason with brokerages like Whilton to ascertain the growth.

Edited by matty40s

I don't see the highways agency appointing a welfare officer for the M1. What is the difference?

ken

Simples. There is a wealth of enforceable legislation that prevents the proliferation of dwellings based on converted vehicles from gathering in such numbers as to obstruct the free passage of others wishing to use the road system for what it was intended.

I see this role as starting to co-ordinate the welfare, council depts, chaplains, enforcement into some sort of organised response.

This is not someone who will be walking towpaths for 95% of the time, although initially they may accompany current personel in their tours.

It is a role that is crucial to CRT's charitable status being viewed as "charitable and worthy", the person has many balls to juggle, and I don't envy them.

Boaters, whether "in crisis" or just boating, have needs, and if this appointment affects the number of water points and pump outs in London, then if nothing else, it will have achieved something.

I have had regular contact with a local chaplain in the Midlands, and they are stretched beyond voluntary belief. The liveaboard population is far higher than CRT statisically record, or know about. It really is about time they had regular liason with brokerages like Whilton to ascertain the growth.

It strikes me there is an opportunity here for a network of local volunteers to work as advocates working under Sean's supervision and direction.

At last, someone gets it. Possibly CRT giving the title "welfare officer" was misleading (publicity).

At last, someone gets it. Possibly CRT giving the title "welfare officer" was misleading (publicity).

did you expect any less from me??!!!

It really is some challenge , the waterways have always been full of characters, people on the edge, full of vulnerable and society's cast off people, for years they have been lost ( sometimes for that read safe) on the network. All of a sudden there is a new influx of people buying boats to live on..........

With the new ingress of liveaboard boaters across the network, this will be a massive challenge to support - I don't say manage, as the boaters concerned will no react well to invasive management .

I have seen in the last 5 years many boats move from summer cruising vessels in marinas, now sold as homes, I can't just blame Whilton (although they are the most active) , many brokerages now state "own your own home" or "Don't rent buy a place".

• 6 months later...

According to an article by Allan Richards, he has:

".... one very recent case where a continuous cruiser was subject to Section 8 (i.e. in danger of having his boat seized and being expelled from CaRT's waterways) due to not having a licence.
Sean Williams intervened, with court proceedings being put ‘on hold'. He arranged for a representative of Workplace Matters (Helping the needy boaters) to accompany the boater to a meeting with council and his appeal against their initial decision to refuse housing benefit for the boat license was overturned."

In relation to this thread, if anyone is facing a crisis situation on a narrowboat and is in need of emergency assistance with food or fuel for cooking or heating, in Warwickshire, you can apply to the Warwickshire Local Welfare Scheme at Warwickshire County Council.This could be a situation arising from delay in benefits or unexpected expenses etc. It is available to anyone whether claiming benefits or not but must have no access to money to provide for themselves.I don't know what provision other county councils have but they will consider applications from people without a residential address but that have been in the county for at least 6 months or 3 years out of the past 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean Williams has just given me a brief summary of his first 8 months in post for publication in the next NABO News and will then be on our website. I believe he is a force for good and is beginning to make a difference even if he often just acts as a signpost to support both internally and externally to boaters in difficulty.