Cable Size

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody!

...i'm looking to install 2 of these...

http://www.quietpc.com/nf-s12a-uln

...in series...

...to circulate warm air around my narrow boat...

...from the point of connection and back is 25 metres...

...can anybody tell me what size of cable i need, cross-sectional area...

...i'm thinking of using good quality speaker wire...

...the system is 12 volt...

Thank you! :)

ps. if link doesn't work cut & paste it into the browser window.

Hello Everybody!

...i'm looking to install 2 of these...

http://www.quietpc.com/nf-s12a-uln

...in series...

...to circulate warm air around my narrow boat...

...from the point of connection and back is 25 metres...

...can anybody tell me what size of cable i need, cross-sectional area...

...i'm thinking of using good quality speaker wire...

...the system is 12 volt...

Thank you! smile.png

ps. if link doesn't work cut & paste it into the browser window.

At 0.6 Amp current draw (according to the spec) at 12v I'd say decent quality speaker wire would be fine.

Are you sure Mike?

To add, what size is "decent quality" speaker wire? And does it have a minimum of 28 strands per conductor?

As MtB says, at less than an amp cable size just won't be an issue.

I am a bit concerned that you plan to wire these in series rather than parallel, please explain why?, or do you mean placing one behind the other????

I don't believe the spec of 6dBA noise level!!!

.............Dave

with 1.5mm cable and a current of 1amp over 25m I calculate a volt drop of 0.27 volts.

...........Dave

To add, what size is "decent quality" speaker wire? And does it have a minimum of 28 strands per conductor?

smiley_offtopic.gif

According to a HiFi designer I used to know the best speaker cable was solid core single crystal copper 2.5 mm but he reckoned 2.5mm T&E electical installation cable was so near as to be almost indistinguishable !!!

Edited by John V

I've got a cpl of these dotted about the boat, I've just un mounted one from it's home at Floor level and took a snap, mine is about 0.40 Amp, and tiny wire of say 1mm Diameter.They are BRILLIANT for circulating air, I use them a lot in the summer,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5s71uy94obfg6h/IMAG0604.jpg?dl=0

What I will suggest is try and fit some sort or Speed regulator, as they really do Belt around, and to be honest, They are not 'quite' IMO.

So being able to Slow it down would make a difference in sound.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

In my cottage I had some beautiful van damme 4mm speaker cable. Was sooo gooood. The wife hated it.

But a very knowledgeable sound engineer I know echoes that about twin and earth being just as good as expensive speak cable.

My understanding is that although claims that expensive cables made of thick, multi-stranded oxygen-free copper and gold-plated connections will add definition and dynamic depth, their undoubted advantage is that they boost the ego.

I've got a cpl of these dotted about the boat, I've just un mounted one from it's home at Floor level and took a snap, mine is about 0.40 Amp, and tiny wire of say 1mm Diameter.They are BRILLIANT for circulating air, I use them a lot in the summer,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5s71uy94obfg6h/IMAG0604.jpg?dl=0

What I will suggest is try and fit some sort or Speed regulator, as they really do Belt around, and to be honest, They are not 'quite' IMO.

So being able to Slow it down would make a difference in sound.

The fan in the dropbox link is not the same as the fan in the OP. I have had stuff from Quiet PC (as per OP) before and it has always been very quiet.

Edited by Alway Swilby