best boat builders

Featured Posts

The OP asked for best boat builders. I would include in this Aintree and Aqualine and Reeves etc. Topic seems to have strayed to what some on here consider superior, yet many, me included just see as old fashioned.

Ian.

Nope. I'm no traditionalist, never have been. Some things are done for no other reason than tradition, a non boating example would be Morris dancing, some things became a tradition because they're the best way of going about things. If you get the chance to steer boats from builders mentioned here as the best you'll understand that it's more than style. They are objectively better boats.

The OP asked for best boat builders. I would include in this Aintree and Aqualine and Reeves etc. Topic seems to have strayed to what some on here consider superior, yet many, me included just see as old fashioned.

Ian.

You have a different definition of that tricksy word 'best' - which is exactly the problem

Richard

Whilst I have by no means steered a wide variety of boats the easiest to steer in both forward and reverse was a "Trabant" of the boating world a 40 foot 'Millenium' boat.

In foward it would go in a straight line 'hands off the tiller'

In reverse it needed virtually no tiller, and what it did need it responded to.

The (quality) hull I have now - a Reeves - needs a slight, but constant tiller pressure, let go and within 30 yards it is going off line. Reverse is almost impossible and tiller/rudder position makes virtually no difference.

There is a lot more to 'best' than a high priced manufacturer.

Nope. I'm no traditionalist, never have been. Some things are done for no other reason than tradition, a non boating example would be Morris dancing, some things became a tradition because they're the best way of going about things. If you get the chance to steer boats from builders mentioned here as the best you'll understand that it's more than style. They are objectively better boats.

Nope. You see them as better boats. Plus how do you know which boats I have steered?

Ian.

Nope. You see them as better boats. Plus how do you know which boats I have steered?

Ian.

I know, having steered more than one, that Norton Canes boats (I live here, and beyond that have no other interest) are an objectively superior boat to Colecraft who made my boat for example. The tiller balance and response forward and reverse is not comparable - they actually steer backwards, really. The way the hulls are built gives more room inside - they're battened out on the sides of supports, gives over an inch extra space, the cabin sides are straight because the way they're constructed avoids warping from welding. You'd pay more for one but it's not a case of buying a name, you can see functionally where the money has gone before you even consider the lines of the boat - I actually prefer their older boats from a functional pov, shorter bows means more useable space but as I said, I'm not a traditionalist. They're not rabid traditionalists either, they build boats with close coupled modern engines. I don't own a Norton Canes boat I'm not selling one and I don't have any plans to buy one.

I'm sure others can tell you why Fuller boats are better. The point is, they are and it's measurable. It's not simply opinion.

Step down a level from high end/best to well respected and it opens up a decent selection. EG.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=369744

Not sure how old it is?

I was going to suggest Stoke on Trent Boat Building (of course) which I assume this one is, as a definitely "quality" boat builder that is often overlooked and therefore can be very good value for money on the 2nd hand market.

ETA ours is number 177 and is 23 years old. This one shows number 165 which probably makes it about 25 or 26 years old.

Edited by Keeping Up
  • Greenie 1

Step down a level from high end/best to well respected and it opens up a decent selection. EG.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=369744

Not sure how old it is?

Probably this boat......

Merlin Built by Stoke On Trent Btbld - Length 18.09 metres ( 59 feet 4 inches ) - Beam 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 ( 0 feet ). Metal hull, power of 18 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 47128 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

Length is about right, and 18HP correct for the Russell Newbery engine.

If so the BW index number 47128 was issued in 1989, meaning the boat is no newer than this, and it is almost certainly the build year.

So at 25 years old, hardly within the requirement that it be no older than 10 years.

Whist Stoke on Trent are good boats, and the Russell a bit special, £42.5K doesn't sound any great bargain for a boat a quarter of a century old.

I still don't think you will find a similarly specced SoT boat under 10 years old at under £40K.

This one shows number 165 which probably makes it about 25 or 26 years old.

I concur! Edited by alan_fincher

I wonder why the OP put in 10 years as an age limit?

there are a LOT of good boats a lot older than that. Is there some sort of impression that older boats are about to sink? or maybe its like new cars, some people think its important to have a new one, for some reason.

My favourites are solid traditionally styled boats by yards like Les Allen, CTS, Tony Gregory, Norton Canes, Dave Harris and others like that. Can't stand any of the modern washer stuff personally.

A 'Northwich trader' without the rivits might look ok but a bit OTT?

I suppose good boats command high prices so £40k is going to be a bit on the low side for something really well made and recent but I would sooner spend £40k on a 1980s Les Allen than a 2000's standard/quality builder.

personally.

They do quite a few different builds. iirc they did a 'Kennet barge' which was a big wide thing with a couple of Lynch motors in it. Also sea going boats afaik.

I'm not familiar with any of their narrowboats.

Edited by magnetman

They do quite a few different builds. iirc they did a 'Kennet barge' which was a big wide thing with a couple of Lynch motors in it. Also sea going boats afaik.

I'm not familiar with any of their narrowboats.

Built like a brick with a pointy end and rounded end. Good and strong and roomy. Not the most stylish but good-value, honest boats.

Ian.

As RWLP said - difficult to quantify best.

Never steered a NC boat but I've crawled over a nude, unpainted tug shell** of theirs that was on a hard standing and was struck by it's proportions and quality. Seen quite a few in the flesh and again, standout lines.

(**Good few years ago now - it was at Aldermaston, Reading Marines Ex Yard) on K+A). I wonder where that boat ended up?

That was probably Apache, built for the notorious Ed Rimmer of Challenger Syndicates. It's one of only two boats that I've done and not been paid for. I held off, knowing that he owed much more to Norton Canes. There was a lot of work in the original signwriting job!

Dave

As RWLP said - difficult to quantify best.

How come Richard is the most consistently misspelt person on the forum? We rarely see references to Cralt, Ahty or Sartcoastre, yet he is forever being anagrammised as RWLP. It's not just you, Mrak, lots of people seem to do it.

How come Richard is the most consistently misspelt person on the forum? We rarely see references to Cralt, Ahty or Sartcoastre, yet he is forever being anagrammised as RWLP. It's not just you, Mrak, lots of people seem to do it.

The jumble of letters does / cannot be formed into an easy word (in my case) smile.png

Apache - aha yes seen that out and about - very nice boat - last time seen by me in Chester.

Edited by mark99

You have a different definition of that tricksy word 'best' - which is exactly the problem

Richard

Two different arguments:-

Hand built low volume. Built in small numbers, process is unstable and each one is a one off. Needs high levels of skill to achieve a consistent product. Likely to suffer from quirks since each one is a one off and not enough have been built to identify and resolve process variability. High costs due to need for skilled labour.

Mass produced. Built in large numbers which means that its worth spending time resolving process and manufacturing issues. This means that the process can be very stable producing a consistent result. Can produce consistently good quality using lower skilled staff with resultant cost savings.

You see this in the car industry. The overall reliability of some low volume, high cost "quality" brands is significantly worse than some low cost high volume manufacturers. The main difference is if you've paid £100K for a car you're not going to admit you have quality problems.

• Greenie 1

having bought a 20+ year old Norton Canes (70ft) well within your budget, I can definitely suggest you reconsider the <10yr rule. OK - the interior of mine is a little 1990's, but its fairly cheap to rip out the kitchen tops and oven, fridge etc and make it look much more modern, should you so wish (I quite like mine, as it happens). The quality of construction, and design is not something you can change quickly or cheaply! Mine had been well looked after, and had lost a maximum of 0.3mm in 20 years when I bought it. There are many newer boats that have corroded far more.. So, the question should be a hull in good condition, not necessarily age.

Wouldn't swap my NC - love it. They do come up within that price budget occasionally, so keep your eyes out. Among the other names already suggested, I'd also consider Les Allen - stopped building in 1996, but they are also stunning hulls.

• 1 month later...

can some one recommend some good boat fitters pls

Welcome to the forum

Although some shell builders fit out their own shells there are a lot of boat builders that buy in the shell.

My boat fitter would actually fit out any shell of your choice but preferred only two.

Most shells built in the last ten years will be be built in 10, 6, 5, 4 or 10, 6, 4 that is base, hull side, cabin side, and top.

The cost comes in the style and the quality of the build and the attention to detail.

This has been discussed a few times so a search of the forum may help. (not easy wink.png )

hi were is your boat fitter based ?

i need a fitter near nottingham or north east london to start soon . any help pls . thanks alex

I agree ten years is too restrictive. There's a '97 Braidbar here http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=396553 for £47k, for example.

Not quite Norton Canes standard, perhaps, but still a long lasting and reputable shell and fit out.