2014 Pub Cruise (LONG post)

Featured Posts

HOORAY!

A posting about pubs that focuses on beer and not food.

But.............................How can you have gone through Kidsgrove and not visited the Blue Bell?

Did you try the Swan in Stone? The Star has a nice location right by the lock but it's a Marston's pub so (IMHO) the beer selection is boring (apart from Sunbeam and New World) The Swan is just across the road and just across the lock from it, much better.

But I agree with YamYam, you need to get out more.

smile.pngcheers.gifsmile.png

HOORAY!

A posting about pubs that focuses on beer and not food.

But.............................How can you have gone through Kidsgrove and not visited the Blue Bell?

Did you try the Swan in Stone? The Star has a nice location right by the lock but it's a Marston's pub so (IMHO) the beer selection is boring (apart from Sunbeam and New World) The Swan is just across the road and just across the lock from it, much better.

But I agree with YamYam, you need to get out more.

smile.pngcheers.gifsmile.png

Mac didn't comment on the Swan or the Star. The Star is vastly over rated as a pub, the Swan is good but the Royal Exchange is my favourite. I'll be in there on Saturday night.

Good post. I know some of the pubs so on the basis of your comments I can appreciate which others are worth a visit.

As I expected, I've previously visited all those mentioned above except at Ringstead, where the problem is finding an overnight mooring.

I know it's blasphemy, but I didn't like the Blue Bell at Kidsgrove when I went a few years back - can't stand folk music.

I was last in the Swan at Stone with Dr Bradley, where we couldn't get a seat or hear ourselves speak, so repaired to the Star, which was eerily empty.

The Hatters at Marple is quite a trek just for another Robinson's pub, although the mild was very good.

I liked the pub at Denford when I was there, but passed too early in the day this trip!

Mac's endeavour deserves strong praise, and his post may just be the best in any category on CWF since Starcoaster's memorable "Things you wish they'd told you". Greeno awarded, and merits at least 17 out of 20 for content!

Mind you, marking the Globe at Upwell down for having only one real ale on tap, even though he awarded that ale top marks, does seem unfair - it means that the Five Bells outscores it, which would not be the viewpoint of many locals, at least of those over 30.