Boat Delivery

merlin09261

Featured Posts

Help.

Having a new wide beam delivered (in the first week of December) to a marina in reading. On site drainage company happy to crane it into the water. Marina happy to allow us through their waters to the canal.

Problem is if the waters are in flood or iced over I am not permitted to move the boat, or moor the boat as they do not have the room.

I would really appreciate some advice?

(First time using a discussion forum)

Hi & Welcome.

Watch the weather forecasts, and have a back up plan. (Delay the launch, change launch site to one where it could be left.)

"Drainage company happy to crane etc." are they insured to lift boats? Thats a very expensive sound if they arn't!

Bod

What do you mean "drainage company" ?

There's a travel lift on site up to 35 tons (IIRC) who are covered.

I assume you mean Thames and Kennet marina, or do you mean Better Boating who have a jib crane?

Where's the boat going to - not being nosey, just need info.

Thanks Athy .... I would tend to agree and as you say my problems should be halved.

Thanks Bod ... Its the plan B thats the problem. trying to find a crane company thats not going to break the budget is the problem.

OldGoat ... It Thames and Kennet Marina. Getting the boat in the water there is fine. its what we do with the boat when its in is the problem( if the waters are in flood ). We need to get the boat to Roydon Marina Village along the River Stort.

Help.

Having a new wide beam delivered (in the first week of December) to a marina in reading. On site drainage company happy to crane it into the water. Marina happy to allow us through their waters to the canal.

Problem is if the waters are in flood or iced over I am not permitted to move the boat, or moor the boat as they do not have the room.

I have been looking at the possibility of having the boat delivered to Kecksys Farm in Sawbridgeworth, but trying to find a reliable and sensibly priced crane company to take on the task of lifting into the water is proving to be a mammoth task.

Those that do bother to get back to me are giving me quotes two to three times the price of the crane company at Thames and Kennet Marina.

Help.

Thanks for that Lady Muck I shall look in to that.

Help.

Valrene9600... yes this is my first boat. If its needed I will get assistance in moving the boat through waters with strong currents if it solves the other problems. Is Cassio a marina? are there crane facilities there capable of lifting a 32tonne boat 70' x 12'?

Get a quote from A.B.Tuckey, they are the acknowledged experts in this field. Probably not the cheapest, but they do know what they are doing, and may be able to combine jobs.

No connection with Tuckys other than watching them work at Crick show.

Sounds as you are learning about boats, small boats = smaller bills, larger boats = bigger bills!

Bod

ETA Thats a big boat, where is it at present? Could they help with suitable launch sites?

Edited by Bod

Valrene9600... yes this is my first boat. If its needed I will get assistance in moving the boat through waters with strong currents if it solves the other problems. Is Cassio a marina? are there crane facilities there capable of lifting a 32tonne boat 70' x 12'?

big widebeams into London, the usual place Is P&S marine in Watford - I think we are talking about the same place. But check the stoppages, I'm not sure which locks are going to be closed in december Edited by Lady Muck

I have seen many wide beams launched here.

Crane on site. You will have calm canal to handle boat plus plenty of moorings along the way in case of ice. Not sure of weight but costs nowt to ask. They might give you alternative sites if they can't lift the weight

Tuckeyz also would have the knowledge you seek

Ta Lady M you have the correct name at cassio

Ta Lady M you have the correct name at cassio

No offense, but do you seriously think that you are going to be able to climb aboard a 70' boat and with no experience and no instruction be able to competently navigate it? Even in the best of weather, under the most ideal conditions, that is a foolish assumption! From what you've written, it appears that this boat is new, or at least new to you. Do you want to chance substantial damage your first time out? You really should consider getting someone who is competent to accompany you on your first journey and show you the ropes. People do sink boats on the rivers and in locks. People do make mistakes or have accidents and die from them. You don't want to enter the competition for a Darwin award. Get someone that is a good boat master and a good teacher to accompany you!

From Keckseys farm to Roydon marina would involve passing under two lowish bridges, they are Burnt mill lock road bridge which is next to Harlow town station and Roydon railway bridge, niether are the lowest on the Stort but low enough. The river can run quite high during heavy rain with a strong current. Roydon lock can be a pest to operate in flood conditions.

Get a quote from A.B.Tuckey, they are the acknowledged experts in this field. Probably not the cheapest, but they do know what they are doing, and may be able to combine jobs.

No connection with Tuckys other than watching them work at Crick show.

Sounds as you are learning about boats, small boats = smaller bills, larger boats = bigger bills!

Bod

ETA Thats a big boat, where is it at present? Could they help with suitable launch sites?

Thanks Bod for suggesting Tuckys I will get on to them today for a quote and advice.

Help.

Wow .... i am overwhelmed with the helpful advise. Thanks to everyone that have posted so far. Keep it coming.

Thanks for the website Blackrose.

Thanks for the Info Bizzard.

No offense, but do you seriously think that you are going to be able to climb aboard a 70' boat and with no experience and no instruction be able to competently navigate it? Even in the best of weather, under the most ideal conditions, that is a foolish assumption! From what you've written, it appears that this boat is new, or at least new to you. Do you want to chance substantial damage your first time out? You really should consider getting someone who is competent to accompany you on your first journey and show you the ropes. People do sink boats on the rivers and in locks. People do make mistakes or have accidents and die from them. You don't want to enter the competition for a Darwin award. Get someone that is a good boat master and a good teacher to accompany you!

Thanks Paul G2. No offence taken. I have some boating experience from a couple of boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads, but will be Jumping on board with a huge invisible 'L' plate attached to my back. I am in contact with boat movers and intend on undertaking a helmsman course before I attempt to take the boat out unsupervised.biggrin.png

d Denton PLA yard at Gravesend is closest, they can tow you to Limehouse :) from where its pretty easy going to Roydon. 70x12 is quite big.that also bypasses some stoppages. I think Cookham lock is closed, for example, very soon or maybe closed already.

TBH a boat that big wants delivering as close as possible and afaik the PLA yard is best

Edit to remove Penton Hook as not sure they can lift 32tons

Edited by magnetman

Thanks for your input Bod, access to Roydon Marina involves using a small bridge with a weight restriction.

Thanks magnetman, Denton Wharf in gravesend looks a good solution to getting the boat into the water. They have on site a 70tonne straddle carrier that should lift my boat with ease. I am in contact with a canal boat delivery service that hopefully can take on the task of getting the boat to Roydon.