Middlewich - Atherstone?

junior

Featured Posts

Can I get some opinions please.

How long do folks think it will take to get from Middlewich to Atherstone? Stoppages start on November 3rd at Atherstone I believe. I have 6 days available on the boat between now and then, starting from Middlewich on Wednesday morning.

I'm aiming to get to Braunston. Is anyone aware of any stoppages between there and Braunston over the next 6 or so weeks? I've tried to use the CRT stoppages pages but they are different this year and bloody hard work to understand. I thought it easier just to ask on here.

If I'm not going to make it to Atherstone, am I right in thinking my other option is to turn right at Great Heywood and go Staffs & Worcs > Birmingham > Lapworth > Hatton > Wigrams > Braunston? I know Hoo Mill also closes on the 3rd but I should make it past there no problem.

I am single handing.

Can I get some opinions please.

How long do folks think it will take to get from Middlewich to Atherstone? Stoppages start on November 3rd at Atherstone I believe. I have 6 days available on the boat between now and then, starting from Middlewich on Wednesday morning.

I'm aiming to get to Braunston. Is anyone aware of any stoppages between there and Braunston over the next 6 or so weeks? I've tried to use the CRT stoppages pages but they are different this year and bloody hard work to understand. I thought it easier just to ask on here.

If I'm not going to make it to Atherstone, am I right in thinking my other option is to turn right at Great Heywood and go Staffs & Worcs > Birmingham > Lapworth > Hatton > Wigrams > Braunston? I know Hoo Mill also closes on the 3rd but I should make it past there no problem.

I am single handing.

4 days Middlewich- Atherstone. 2 days Atherstone-Braunston. That's what it took me this summer, in the reverse direction.

If you leave Middlewich on Wednesday morning you should be in Atherstone by Friday lunch. I'm not aware of any stoppages twixt Atherstone and Braunston coming up.

That's going some! Remember that the days are becoming shorter and he is single handed.

Edited by monkeyhanger

Last year towards the end of September, so not as late in the year as now...

I did Great Haywood to Rode Heath in 1 day, and then Rode Heath to Broken Cross as a shorter day the day after. This was single handed.

I'm trying to remember where I stopped before Great Haywood but can't at the moment.

Even though the days are shorter at this time of the year, there is usually less traffic to slow you down but having a lock wheeler up the Cheshire locks would be handy!

According to Canalplanac:

Total distance is 71 miles, 4½ furlongs and 68 locks (not counting Atherstone Lock No 2). There are at least 2 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 22 small aqueducts or underbridges and 1 tunnel (Harecastle Tunnel (2919 yards long) [see navigational note 1 below]).

This is made up of 71 miles, 4½ furlongs of narrow canals; 68 narrow locks.
This will take 41 hours, 4 minutes which is 5 days, 6 hours and 4 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 6 days.

or have I got the wrong Middlewich and/or Atherstone.

For maps of winter stoppages go to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/winter on right hand side about halfway down select : Select region if on mobile the select is at the bottom

Days get even shorter after next weekend when the clocks go back.

No they don't, you just have to get up an hour earlier!!

I did this in December.

Middlewich to Harecastle North end),moored at dusk just round the corner on the Macc

Harecastle (8.30am start)-Great Haywood. (1 hour in the dark)

Great Haywood - Nuneaton. (3 hours in the dark)

Nuneaton- Norton Junction.(3 hours in the dark)

Edited by matty40s

I took a full length motor from Preston Brook to Coventry single handed in two and a half days last September. Admittedly, it kept me busy (locking etc) at times and called for early starts but Middlewich to Atherstone is slightly less.

Incidentally, I prefer the Shroppie route via Autherley and the Staffs & Worcs but I don't think there's a great deal of difference time-wise.

Incidentally, I prefer the Shroppie route via Autherley and the Staffs & Worcs but I don't think there's a great deal of difference time-wise.

That has been suggested to me, but on the map it looks so much further and indirect. What are the advantages for taking this route, apart from it being a new canal for me?

I thought that re-tracing my steps and going back over ground I've done recently might speed things up as I know the road ahead.

On the map it looks like a no-brainer, but if you tot up the miles/locks and take out Harecastle it becomes more a case of time spent locking opposed to motoring. The locks on the Shroppie are closely set together so easy to work on your own and fill fairly quickly.

Not forgetting, the longer route is widely considered to be a very picturesque waterway.

That has been suggested to me, but on the map it looks so much further and indirect. What are the advantages for taking this route, apart from it being a new canal for me?

I thought that re-tracing my steps and going back over ground I've done recently might speed things up as I know the road ahead.

From Middlewich, the T&M route is quicker, one advantage of the Shroppie/S&W route in Winter is that you don't lose time waiting for Harecastle opening times.....another is the Shroppie locks tend to be together so you can forward set a few even when signle handing.

It is prettier as well.

Avoiding Harecastle may be a good idea as then you don't lose the end of one day and the start of the next one. I always think I am going to be too late to get in to the tunnel so stop earlier than I need to so that I have a good mooring on the north side, then last time through we couldn't get in to the tunnel until mid morning due to a car being dumped in the cut. At least going via the Staffs and Worcs you can keep going and you'll just have the 21 to contend with.