New to boating. I want to buy a new widebeam, is a 30ft x 12ft a bad idea?

ben_rogers93

Featured Posts

Gosh. That's a bit Stalinesque. "(a)activities carried on in a public place within the authoritys area have had a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality".

Does this mean I can finally rid myself of all the ugly people around?

Our Failine Corniche was 31 foot x 12 foot and was a wonderful spacious stable, seaworthy boat - it had a pointy end, roughly parallel sides and a squared off stern.

But not a flat bottom.... wink.png

Nice boat, I wish I could afford one. Even more, I wish I could afford to run one...

But not a flat bottom.... wink.png

Nice boat, I wish I could afford one. Even more, I wish I could afford to run one...

Red diesel was around 28p - 30p per litre.

One summer we did just under 1000 mile cruise.

Holyhead, Isle of Man, N.Ireland, The Clyde, Garelock, Holy Lock and all up the West coast of Scotland and return.

Averaged a fraction over 1.25 miles per GALLON (or to put it anothere way 482 yards per litre) at around 23-25 knots.

At 28 knots you could watch the fuel gauges rapidly going down.

Those illegally moored barges in Richmond, here's one of them - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1524546?s=NNIB. Read the reviews for the full experience. These were condemned by the boat safety scheme, have not had a certificate in years despite what the owner says.

Oh - - what a disarmingly thick-skinned 'erbert is Alistair.

You may be aware of how crowded London's canals are, especially central and east London, a subject endlessly discussed on other topics on this forum, if not I suggest you read some of that stuff. But the consensus appears to be that if you move about from time to time, as you seem to be aware you'll need to, it is quite possible without a home mooring. Do allow time in your schedule for the fetching and carrying involved; there is notoriously too much demand and not enough supply of water points in central London, so quick showers and/or generally keeping your boat out in the suburbs might be the way to go.

I see no mention of London anywhere in the OP and I've read it several times over, so I don't see how this post is relevant to the thread.

Also, what is your plan B for you and your boat, when London gets too packed for boats to be able to actually move

As above. Have I totally missed the part where the OP mentions London?

Edited to add: I have just clicked from mobile version to the full version and seen he has London in his profile location, so I guess that's what brought on peoples comments.

However, before I bought my boat my location on here was displayed as 'Brighton', but I never had any intention of putting a boat there.

Edited by junior

Come to think about it, I should tell CRT my narrowboat is 7ft long and 68ft wide at my next license renewal so it should cost peanuts. Will I get away with this, I wonder?

What is the widest canal/river on CRT waters? If it's less than 68ft, and I guess it might be, they may smell a rat. That's if they know what their widest piece of water is of course.

I see no mention of London anywhere in the OP and I've read it several times over, so I don't see how this post is relevant to the thread.

As above. Have I totally missed the part where the OP mentions London?

Edited to add: I have just clicked from mobile version to the full version and seen he has London in his profile location, so I guess that's what brought on peoples comments.

However, before I bought my boat my location on here was displayed as 'Brighton', but I never had any intention of putting a boat there.

Well yes, I felt it was likely the OP meant to wander up and down the lower GU as he said London/Hertfordshire so I wrote accordingly, thinking he'd have probably said if he meant to go elsewhere. I could be mistaken.

Sadly for me the Croydon Canal closed in 1836 and restoration is not on the cards.

One advantage to your idea that no-one has highlighted is the licence fee is base on length alone, so us narrowboat owners will be effectively subsidizing you. A vast 30ft widebeam has about the same amount of interior space as a 70ft narrowboat yet the licence fee is less than half. Go for it!

Not so, (nor even close!)

30 feet £641.89

70 feet £1056.79

A friend lives aboard a 25' by 11' ship's lifeboat. She.has a 9' by 10' triangular living room at the front, a 2' by 3' kitchen next to the engine, an 18" by 3' bathroom, and a 5' by 10' triangular bedroom at the back.

All the walls are curved because it's a boaty boat, and it draws about 18". Goes like stink, too, with a Petter PH2.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm in talk with a couple of boat builders. One suggested to have a square trad stern (engine is inside the boat same as a trad narrowboat.) I guess similar to http://www.sherwoodboats.co.uk/gallery.php?prjid=prjm015

With a skiff front http://www.sherwoodboats.co.uk/gallery.php?prjid=prjm004

So if I had a trad stern with a skiff front I could have a boat that is 35ft long with a cabin of approx 27ft.

Would this upset many people aesthetically?

Also would this be difficult to steer?

Are the waterways completely packed in london then?

I spoke to one guy and he lived in london on the canal for 8 years and he said he never had a problem and he didn't find it crowded, but thats just his opinion.

Ideally I would want to be in zone 2 or 3 so not completely central. Then sometimes travel up the grand union canal between watford and tring to visit friends, family and also clients.

Join London Boaters group on Facebook, you'll soon get an idea of the issues, Ben - another 400 boats a year since the Olympic year, I'd say this year is the first year we're seeing major issues. There aren't enough services and If your boat is long or wide it can sometimes take a whole day of cruising in certain areas to find a new place to moor.

And, like Tuscan says, walk the towpaths, so many do not do any research, have no idea about the law ( this is why I welcome the NBTA workshops) and they then get a shock when they arrive here, find it rammed and then start getting threatening letters from CRT.

A friend of mine (against my advice) bought a boat to cruise in London this year. She didn't even last six months - it was the crime and difficulty doing things such as getting pump out and fuel that did for her. That and she's not practical at all. It can take ages to find people who will fix things, especially on the towpath.

Edited by Lady Muck

I'd suggest using a bike rather than walking the towpath. You'll cover a lot more canal distance and get a better impression in less time than walking.

And yes I'd imagine a short wide boat with a 'skiff front' will be a complete ball-ache to steer!

MtB

P.S. I think you should go for it. I spoke to another brokerage the other day (not Whilton) who also reckoned they were selling one cheap boat a week to rich hippy types taking them to London to CC. The sooner the London congestion problem is brought to a head the sooner CRT will be forced to take some radical action. Like installing an eighth water point perhaps :)

Join London a Boaters group on Facebook, you'll soon get an idea of the issues, Ben - another 400 boats a year since the Olympic year, I'd say this year is the first year we're seeing major issues. There aren't enough services and If your boat is long or wide it can sometimes take a whole day of cruising in certain areas to find a new place to moor.

And, like Tuscan says, walk the towpaths, so many do not do any research, have no idea about the law ( this is why I welcome the NBTA workshops) and they then get a shock when they arrive here, find it rammed and then start getting threatening letters from CRT.

A friend of mine (against my advice) bought a boat to cruise in London this year. She didn't even last six months - it was the crime and difficulty doing things such as getting pump out and fuel that did for her. That and she's not practical at all. It can take ages to find people who will fix things, especially on the towpath.

Where as I am sure I would have personal sympathy for your friend, she is a good example of how the boating life is self selecting. Many people give up after the first winter.

The sooner the London congestion problem is brought to a head the sooner CRT will be forced to take some radical action. Like installing an eighth water point perhaps :)

Or maybe reduce their number to four...........

Join London Boaters group on Facebook, you'll soon get an idea of the issues, Ben - another 400 boats a year since the Olympic year, I'd say this year is the first year we're seeing major issues. There aren't enough services and If your boat is long or wide it can sometimes take a whole day of cruising in certain areas to find a new place to moor.

I am a very hands on and piratical guy, if I don't know how to fix something I will soon look it up and work it out. Engines are the only thing I don't know much about yet but I'm soon learning.

Every boater I've spoken to says if you survive my first winter then you'll be fine

I travel to london 4-5 days a week so I will cycle the towpath to try and make my mind up.

Do you think it would be better if I have a curved front? Would this give me any advantage over a skiff front?

Do you think it would be better if I have a curved front? Would this give me any advantage over a skiff front?

I don't actually think it will make much difference with a boat as short and as wide as you plan. It will be a horror to steer whichever you choose.

MtB

P.S. Unless you install a bow thruster of course! :D

I am a very hands on and piratical guy, if I don't know how to fix something I will soon look it up and work it out. Engines are the only thing I don't know much about yet but I'm soon learning.

Every boater I've spoken to says if you survive my first winter then you'll be fine

I travel to london 4-5 days a week so I will cycle the towpath to try and make my mind up.

Aaar, Piratical! A wonderful example of predictive text syndrome here, suggesting that the answer to any problem might be to take someone else's boat.

My son-in-law and his friends from Karachi have a saying about British weather; "the first winter is the worst". As he and my daughter have now moved to Canada, inland at that, and he's taken a job on the railways which involves going outdoors quite a lot, he must have decided that cold winters are not so bad after all.

On a serious note, people do say that the canals on the west side of London are less crowded than the centre and east, but perhaps not the most scenic part of the system, so have a look and see what you think. You need to work out whether there's a cruising pattern which meets your needs to reach particular places for work and social life, while involving enough movement to not upset CRT and also being able to find a mooring spot and water tap when you need to.

Correct, it is Hackney, Dalston, the River Lee which is packed out, much less growth in numbers out West, but there is a dearth of services out West, very little indeed from Little Venice out to Cowley.

I really don't have any problems with winter, For us, it's the lovely, cosy, quiet time of year, but I'm onboard all day - if you are not, it can be a bit grim leaving the boat in the dark, coming home in the dark to a cold boat, having to do all your outside chores in the dark. I'd recommend if you work long hours, that you consider installing a safe, secondary heating method. (I.e. Not camping heaters - seen a few of those on boats - shudder - very dangerous). We have an Alde Central heating boiler, it canes the gas if you use it all day, but put it on for just an hour and it heats the boat up really quickly.

Bloody hell I only commented about the minority causing problem for the majority a couple of minutes ago and then I read this what a whip and very painful for who evers backside it catches

Peter