My dream is going to become a reality!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Hmmm, I can just imagine George Stephenson saying it to Robert Stephenson.

Still not comfortable with it though - as we have seen in other threads, actions and words which were deemed acceptable 40 years ago are now frowned upon by many people. Do these uncivil engineers employ variations such as KISYFUG, perhaps?

Genuinely young man (I use the adjective advisedly laugh.png ) KISS is a well known acronym and is used routinely to explain that things should be kept as simple as possible for maximum reliability. It infers no criticism of the recipient.

Roger

an engineer

Genuinely young man (I use the adjective advisedly laugh.png ) KISS is a well known acronym and is used routinely to explain that things should be kept as simple as possible for maximum reliability. It infers no criticism of the recipient.

Roger

an engineer

Implies, perhaps?

It can't be that well known, as I (who am reasonably literate) had not heard of it.

Weren't you involved with a Yardbirds LP?

Implies, perhaps?

It can't be that well known, as I (who am reasonably literate) had not heard of it.

Well perhaps imply but there is a modern usage that overlaps the two words.

usage: Many usage guides condemn infer when used to mean “to hint or suggest,” as in The next speaker rejected the proposal, inferring that it was made solely to embarrass the government, holding the position

that the proper word for this meaning is imply, and that to use infer for it is to lose a valuable distinction. Many speakers and writers observe this claimed distinction scrupulously. Nevertheless, from its earliest

appearance in English infer has had the sense given in definition 3, a meaning that overlaps with the second definition of imply when the subject is a condition, circumstance, or the like that leads inevitably to a

certain conclusion or point.

[3. (of facts, circumstances, statements, etc. to indicate or involve as a conclusion; lead to,)]

KISS is commonly used, in fact I used it only yesterday when in discussion about a technical matter with a friend, also an engineer, who needed no explanation.

Sorry, don't get the Yardbirds reference even having Googled them.

Roger

Implies, perhaps?

....engineers frequently come in contact with designs that suffer from "creeping featurism" often by people who are excellent designers but who get carried away with new exciting ideas......

KISS is the standard acronym applied to get the process back from the realm of the possible, into the realm of the practical.

edit to add ....changed my mind

Edited by John V

It really depends, I am not known for doing things by half so basically gutted my whole boat and took her back to metal inside and out!!! But you can do as little or as much, just seems that on a boat a "simple " job like removing a partition wall or a cupboard turns into so much more!

Yes you can live in a boat whilst doing it up, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would take plenty of pictures for when you have those " what the hell am I doing days"?. But you can just decorate, if you are looking for a youngish boat probably better to get one as near as what you want, mine is nearly 30 years' old, so anything is an improvement!icecream.gif

Well.... I wasn't planning on being as ambitious as you! In an ideal world we'll find a boat with a kitchen and bathroom that have a few years left in them and it's just decorating and personal touches that I will need to do to it.

I don't really want carpet for starters as quite simply I hate vacuming.

Athy.....don't be so uptight...............

It's a standard joke in almost all engineering sectors, and there should be a plaque on every designers desk with those 4 letters embossed

And KIS as an acronym just wouldn't have the same impact!

I thought KISS was in pretty widespread usage, not just in engineering. And by using the standard acronym, rather than specifically using the word in an individual comment, you are not really calling the other person 'stupid' surely.

If you seek evidence, look around - I have seen offence taken on CWF at things which looked quite OK to me. But I can see that calling someone stupid could be construed as rather naughty, unless the person was truly stupid - or perhaps even more naughty in that case.

It's a long-accepted engineering acronym. If somebody used it in reply to a question I asked as to whether I should take a complicated or a simple route to resolving a situation, I wouldn't be remotely offended, nor would I take it as the poster seriously suggesting that I was stupid.

So Hubs informed his mum last night of our plans to move in the new year. She is very apprehensive and thinks we're making a bad choice. (Luckily it's our 'bad' choice to make) although I think this is down it just not being the norm of what people do, generally, hopefully she'll come round!

Implies, perhaps?

I must admit I thought you were joking at first when you got offended on the OP's behalf.

KISS is not just a phrase reserved for engineers. I don't know when I first heard it but it's been in my vocabulary and regularly used for as long as I can remember.

My only reluctance in starting earlier is we won't have the funds ready to go should the right boat come along, I don't want to fall in love with something and not be able to get it. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start searching a bit earlier to get an idea of what we want.

We are looking at a budget of £30k - £40k looking online (but with not much knowledge about engines and what not) I think we can get what we want for this budget, is it a sensible amount?

That did happen to me, but I would still advise you start looking earlier.

If that does happen then just put it down to well that boat was not meant for me

perfect - thanks, I had planned on keeping some aside for bits and pieces, I have a marina I have my eye on which would be ideal as they do residential mooring, and the location would be perfect for both hubs and I to get to work,

Do you have any book recommendations? I'm making my way through 'The Liveaboard Guide' by Tony Jones, and any other material I can get my hands on would be useful.

Narrow margins, narrow minded and narrow escape by Marie Browne

That did happen to me, but I would still advise you start looking earlier.

If that does happen then just put it down to well that boat was not meant for me

Narrow margins, narrow minded and narrow escape by Marie Browne

Thanks - we are going to Whilton marina next weekend just to have a look around and take advantage of being able to see alot of boats in one location, once we have a better idea of exactly what we do/don't like then I'll start the serious searching.

And I shall check out the book too!

I must admit I thought you were joking at first when you got offended on the OP's behalf.

Not at all - it is hardly acceptable to offer a piece of advice and then to call the recipient stupid, as if they were far too ESN to have worked it out for themselves.

Bod's variant "Keep it stupidly simple" is much more satisfactory.

So Hubs informed his mum last night of our plans to move in the new year. She is very apprehensive and thinks we're making a bad choice. (Luckily it's our 'bad' choice to make) although I think this is down it just not being the norm of what people do, generally, hopefully she'll come round!

Don't worry, my mom was exactly of the same mind but as soon as I bought one couldn't keep her away from the bloody thing :-). Along with most of my other family. You might find alot of your weekends won't be your own for a while

Don't worry, my mom was exactly of the same mind but as soon as I bought one couldn't keep her away from the bloody thing :-). Along with most of my other family. You might find alot of your weekends won't be your own for a while

haha yeah, our friends are all very excited and can't wait for weekends on the boat! Nice to be able to actually entertain guests as where we're at now is just impossible!

I'm sure she'll come around once we've bought it and she can look around!

Not at all - it is hardly acceptable to offer a piece of advice and then to call the recipient stupid, as if they were far too ESN to have worked it out for themselves.

Bod's variant "Keep it stupidly simple" is much more satisfactory.

Well the word 'stupid' has only been included to shoehorn the concept into an acronym that makes a memorable word.

'Keep it simple' is the basic premise but KIS appeals less than KISS, dunnit? Hense the need to think of another word beginning with S to tack onto the end of 'keep it simple'.

'Stupid' also implies that anyone getting carried away and overcomplicating something is being inadvertently stupid. Correctly in my view.

Have you seen DeanS's thread on his designs for his stove and heating installation for example? Words will fail you at the complexity incorporated. I bet someone in the thread suggested the KISS principle needs to be applied!

MtB

Well the word 'stupid' has only been included to shoehorn the concept into an acronym that makes a memorable word.

'Keep it simple' is the basic premise but KIS appeals less than KISS, dunnit? Hense the need to think of another word beginning with S to tack onto the end of 'keep it simple'.

'Stupid' also implies that anyone getting carried away and overcomplicating something is being inadvertently stupid. Correctly in my view.

Have you seen DeanS's thread on his designs for his stove and heating installation for example? Words will fail you at the complexity incorporated. I bet someone in the thread suggested the KISS principle needs to be applied!

MtB

KISS Keep it silly simple?

Bod

Hense indeed.

Keep it simple, sunshine would be more acceptable and would serve the same acronymic purpose.

Hmm, looks OK in a basic sort of way. I've never heard of the builder. It appears to have a pump-out loo; do you want this? It has no solid furl stove, storage space may not be adequate unless you are a very clutter-free couple, and do you think that a 50-footer will be big enough for full-time living for two?

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. There does not appear to be anything actually WRONG with the boat, but I reckon you could do much better within your budget (£35k if memory serves).

Hmm, looks OK in a basic sort of way. I've never heard of the builder. It appears to have a pump-out loo; do you want this? It has no solid furl stove, storage space may not be adequate unless you are a very clutter-free couple, and do you think that a 50-footer will be big enough for full-time living for two?

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. There does not appear to be anything actually WRONG with the boat, but I reckon you could do much better within your budget (£35k if memory serves).

Well I liked that we could easily put our own stamp on it with the money that is left in our budget - i.e add the solid fuel stove, redecorate it etc.

Storage space isn't too much of a concern, as my current flat has none of that either - not a single cupboard would you believe. But yeah..maybe I'm being too optimistic looking at 50ft - do you think we're better looking at 55-60ft? and look to spend near on our full budget on the boat?

Toilets - I'm in such a quandary about this - I have NO idea having read up about pump outs and cassettes which one I'd prefer? Not a clue.

Toilets - I'm in such a quandary about this - I have NO idea having read up about pump outs and cassettes which one I'd prefer? Not a clue.

Oooh, NOW look what you've started (or could be about to start)! This is the most long-running topic of argument on the whole forum.

Yes, after all these years, would you believe that some people still prefer a pump-out...

But if you learn sense don't want the pump-out, I believe that they are fairly easily removed, and you just install your lovely new user-friendly electric-flush Thetford cassette loo where the old one used to be.

I am, of course, entirely unbiased on this matter.