My dream is going to become a reality!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Hello all!

Just wanted to post my excitement. Hubs and I had though we were looking at 2/3 year wait to get our boat but my wonder father is going to help us finance it! So realistically we should be able to have one by next summer!

Still at the research stage trying to decide what will best fit out needs but I am so so pleased this is looking to be our life from next year.

Thanks everyone, I'm so excited to be leaving behind rent and landlords!

The plan is to save as much as possible in the next 6 months and learn as much as possible with a view to starting the actual boat search in about Feb time as my lease on my flat is up in March (although we are lucky in the we can move in with one of our parents if it doesn't all materialise so quickly.

Start earlier. The search for the right boat can, as we have often seen on here, take much longer than you think. You may strike lucky and find your ideal craft in the second boatyard which you visit. More commonly, you'll view six boats and then starting looking for one which combines the best features of those six!

My only reluctance in starting earlier is we won't have the funds ready to go should the right boat come along, I don't want to fall in love with something and not be able to get it. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start searching a bit earlier to get an idea of what we want.

We are looking at a budget of £30k - £40k looking online (but with not much knowledge about engines and what not) I think we can get what we want for this budget, is it a sensible amount?

Yes - depending on what you want of course, but you will have a wide range of choice for that much money.

If you have £40,000 available, aim to spend not more than £35,000 on the boat itself: ancillaries such as mooring fees, insurance and licensing will eat up much of the remainder.

perfect - thanks, I had planned on keeping some aside for bits and pieces, I have a marina I have my eye on which would be ideal as they do residential mooring, and the location would be perfect for both hubs and I to get to work,

Do you have any book recommendations? I'm making my way through 'The Liveaboard Guide' by Tony Jones, and any other material I can get my hands on would be useful.

What area are you in?

I bought a few books (including the one you mention) when I was in my 'research' phase. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on any of them because once I started reading them I realised there was nothing in them that I hadn't already read and learnt on this forum. Hang around here and take everything in between now and next March and you'll have learnt more than you ever could from a few books.

"Thanks everyone, I'm so excited to be leaving behind rent and landlords!"

Er.... you will be changing terrestrial ones for aquatic ones!

Lots of friendly boaty folk in canalworld.net, but you will need to read a lot to get through all the fluff to the facts :)

"Thanks everyone, I'm so excited to be leaving behind rent and landlords!"

Er.... you will be changing terrestrial ones for aquatic ones!

Lots of friendly boaty folk in canalworld.net, but you will need to read a lot to get through all the fluff to the facts :)

:-) I know - it's more just owning my own space and being able make it my own, knowing when I get home it's to MY home.

Hi 87- OFF TOPIC

Is your username any way related to the FA Cup final in 1987.

The final that my beloved Coventry City FC won against Spurs & the game that the legend 'Lloyd McGrath' had Glen Hoddle in his pocket throughout the whole game?

Best of luck btw

Hi 87- OFF TOPIC

Is your username any way related to the FA Cup final in 1987.

The final that my beloved Coventry City FC won against Spurs & the game that the legend 'Lloyd McGrath' had Glen Hoddle in his pocket throughout the whole game?

Best of luck btw

Wow! I'm afraid it's nothing quite that clever - infact I was born in 87, and football is only a recent thing in my life due to the whole finding a husband who quite likes it business!

We are looking at a budget of £30k - £40k looking online (but with not much knowledge about engines and what not) I think we can get what we want for this budget, is it a sensible amount?

Definitely. I just paid £23,150 for mine, the survey showed the hull to be almost original thickness even though she's over 25 years old, she's mechanically perfect- I've brought her down from Nantwich to Brinklow in the last week and she didn't miss a beat- she was made by a well-respected builder (Peter Nicholls) and had a professional fit-out (Malcolm Rhodes).

She needs a little bit of TLC here and there, some wood needs rubbing down and varnishing, she needs a good T-Cut and polish etc, you might want a longer/newer boat etc but I'm sure you will find one in your budget.

I love my little boat, more than any non-living thing I've ever loved before. Please, have a look round!

• Greenie 1